IGNORED

Eurocrap

slartibartfast

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just a shame they hiked up all the prices to Hotels and Airbnb and cancelled people's bookings. 

Seems the money spent approx £30 million will be recouped. 

It very rarely ends up into the hands of the workers though. They'll be on minimum wage. The hiked up profits will go to the owners of the establishments. 

Capitalism, baby. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Capitalism, baby. 

I know...but it's not really helping the working people of Liverpool. That was my point. 

When they speak about it helping the local economy...it really isn't. 

The profits will be gobbled up by the Nationals. The major hotels and corporations, chains etc. 

It is what it is. 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know...but it's not really helping the working people of Liverpool. That was my point. 

When they speak about it helping the local economy...it really isn't. 

The profits will be gobbled up by the Nationals. The major hotels and corporations, chains etc. 

It is what it is. 

You old Trot, you! Commie, Corbynite!

At least @Riaz has a new friend.

But in all seriousness, many of us on this forum have been saying capitalism doesn't work for all, particularly the working class, for many years now. 

The general consensus of most economists would agree. Sadly, society is taking its time catching up. 

Capitalism = growth. And growth, unrestrained, will end up destroying the planet and all of humanity. It's science. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But in all seriousness, many of us on this forum have been saying capitalism doesn't work for all, particularly the working class, for many years now. 

The general consensus of most economists would agree. Sadly, society is taking its time catching up. 

Capitalism = growth. And growth, unrestrained, will end up destroying the planet and all of humanity. It's science. 

I tend to agree. Well put. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There’s a simply Philosophy that governments could adopt, that would control capitalism. 

if governments, shaped policy, to keep cost of living low for all their citizens, it would solve a lot of issues

Problem is, our politicians are motivated by greed and personal gain. 

Edited by Riaz

21 hours ago, italian dave said:

Chill out Slarti! There’s plenty of people feel the same about football especially every other year - Euros or World Cup. And just like we love football, there’s plenty who love Eurovision. Just give them their few days!

I know it’s on everywhere….but just turn the TV off and read a book or go for a walk ?????

I was about to write pretty much the same thing. @slartibartfast and others are just getting a taste of what non-sporting people must feel when there is a major event on terrestrial TV channels. The BBC are the broadcaster of a worldwide event, so they are going to be keen to maximise its value.

12 hours ago, Riaz said:

There’s a simply Philosophy that governments could adopt, that would control capitalism. 

if governments, shaped policy, to keep cost of living low for all their citizens, it would solve a lot of issues

Problem is, our politicians are motivated by greed and personal gain. 

The 'Problem' is the political system. 

The system allows politicians to make personal gain. Hence why they do it. 

It will never change...unless the system changes. 

Politicians should be paid a wage that correlates with the position they hold...and that's it. Nothing more. 

No money should be allowed to be made outside of that wage. No other financial motives, contracts given to companies they have shares in etc. 

If that was implemented...it would attract people who want to work for the public...not themselves. 

Nothing will change, regardless of who's in power, as the system is broken. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Politicians should be paid a wage that correlates with the position they hold...and that's it. Nothing more. 

No money should be allowed to be made outside of that wage. No other financial motives, contracts given to companies they have shares in etc. 

If that was implemented...it would attract people who want to work for the public...not themselves. 

I agree 1 million percent ?

Politicians should be paid in correlation with the average wage - to incentivise them to work for the interests of everybody.

• Like 2

On 10/05/2023 at 18:47, Open End Numb Legs said:

Our friends throw an annual BBQ and party. I think the idea is to get so drunk, the performances start to look good.

I watched some of the coverage. The production seems to have been taken over by the Merseyside tourist bureau and, in my opinion, should focus more on Ukraine whose event it really is.

Oh god, don't let the scouse mafia hear you say that !

6 hours ago, spudski said:

6 hours ago, Riaz said:

I agree 1 million percent ?

Politicians should be paid in correlation with the average wage - to incentivise them to work for the interests of everybody.

I agree completely with Spudski’s proposition, but I think that’s entirely different Riaz’s point - and I think I completely disagree with that! 

Im not sure what you mean by ‘in correlation to…’ but assume from your later comment that you mean ‘at the same level as’?

In my mind, MPs do a hugely important job and the last thing we need is for theirs to be yet another profession where we struggle to get good people to do the job.

There are a lot of good, decent people, on both sides of the house, who are doing a good job. But there are also a lot of incompetent people who are there for the wrong reasons.

You’ve got to discourage people from doing it for the wrong reasons (as per Spudski’s point) but you’ve also got to encourage the right people by giving them the appropriate rewards. And that means a good salary, for what is a demanding and pretty thankless task in its own right. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 14:13, Midred said:

Listen to the radio and it's on nearly every bbc programme.

Well I suppose there must be someone who is totally unaware of it! ?

Had Radio 1 on all day at work and haven't really heard it mentioned in all honesty!

We're having a party, though I'm running out of time to write a quiz, might just ask ChatGPT to do it for me

On 11/05/2023 at 09:04, spudski said:

Approx £31 million to put this on. 

£10 million donated by Government. 

The majority of the rest by the BBC. 

Ah but it will pay for itself in tourism and income... that's the argument over last weekend

6 hours ago, Riaz said:

Thats being kinds, i'd say over 90% wouldnt bother being an MP anymore!

Well maybe like nursing and care we'd get the people who genuinely want to do the job then

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

I agree completely with Spudski’s proposition, but I think that’s entirely different Riaz’s point - and I think I completely disagree with that! 

Im not sure what you mean by ‘in correlation to…’ but assume from your later comment that you mean ‘at the same level as’?

In my mind, MPs do a hugely important job and the last thing we need is for theirs to be yet another profession where we struggle to get good people to do the job.

There are a lot of good, decent people, on both sides of the house, who are doing a good job. But there are also a lot of incompetent people who are there for the wrong reasons.

You’ve got to discourage people from doing it for the wrong reasons (as per Spudski’s point) but you’ve also got to encourage the right people by giving them the appropriate rewards. And that means a good salary, for what is a demanding and pretty thankless task in its own right. 

What i mean, is some sort of system where, the pay of an MP increases if they improve the average wage of the nation.

Not necessarily, the same as the average wage. 

But i do think MP’s are massive over-paid. Especially when you consider what an awful job they have done. 

When you say a lot of good people? Maybe they are, but they are mostly motivated by personal gain. 

14 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Radio 2 is non stop Eurovision crap …I turn over whenever it’s mentioned or reported from ….it’s just too much ….very annoying.

Just shows how "relevant" it is to the actual modern music scene if it's saturation coverage on Radio 2 but barely mentioned on Radio 1.

Let's be fair ,when has Europe really been musically relevant , even when pop/rock was good, maybe just a few prog bands but nothing else !

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 21:39, Riaz said:

What i mean, is some sort of system where, the pay of an MP increases if they improve the average wage of the nation.

Not necessarily, the same as the average wage. 

But i do think MP’s are massive over-paid. Especially when you consider what an awful job they have done. 

When you say a lot of good people? Maybe they are, but they are mostly motivated by personal gain. 

I’d pay them more, but your not allowed any other income whilst your an MP

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Jesus you are a horrible lot.  I've enjoyed it so far ? I've added Israel to the bank.

Don’t often agree with you mate but what a miserable bunch. I Iove it it’s hilarious , for me it just highlights the arrogance of the British! It’s just easy fun, chill people ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

Don’t often agree with you mate but what a miserable bunch. I Iove it it’s hilarious , for me it just highlights the arrogance of the British! It’s just easy fun, chill people ?

Totally agree. Some miserable gits around.

• Like 1