IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Seeing a lot of chat like this about what Coventry and Luton fans have endured. It’s true, but I can remember both of these teams playing in the top division in my lifetime (I turned 40 last week). Whereas City have done nothing but float between the second and third tier in my four decades.

I think I’d rather have had the rollercoaster ride up and down the divisions than our years of nothingness. To my mind, that’s worse.

Yes and if they could BOTH lose , that would be great !

• Admin
1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Really mixed feelings towards todays Championship final . Both sets of fans have been through a mincer in recent years and I’ll be happy for either

A lifelong Coventry fan I know is getting married in Coventry this afternoon, he's equally delighted about his wedding but gutted he won't be at Wembley 

He booked a year ago 

3 hours ago, City oz said:

You would be proud if you are a Wednesday fan. 44k is a great number and shows what a club have to the history and stature of the club goes along way. Not sure if we have got to the high number of 44K anywhere.

Barnsley have a lot of respect also in all football fraternities, but your post indicates that a great big club with history have a sleeping giant of supporters that pop out at a drop of a hat when potential success is not far away.

No indeed fair play to them. I am under no illusion of us being anywhere near big club status and certainly would agree that dispite of our relative league positions that Sheffield Wednesday are a 'bigger' club than us. But my post wasn't about them and us as such. I just thought it would be ironic if vastly outnumbered Barnsley gave them a fright! As I said I will be hoping for a Sheffield Weds win as I haven't been there for 30 years and I've visited Barnsley too many times.?

Your point about SW fans coming out of the woodwork; when their tickets went on sale I looked how they were allocating them, just out of interest. Perhaps wondering what we would do if we were ever in that situation?.

They obviously had ST holders then various membership schemes etc. I was surprised to see that any ST holder could purchase 6 tickets, all before members could get any. So for example my family could have grabbed 18 tickets for the 3 of us if City did the same. No doubt I would have suddenly had lots of requests from people who rarely go/have never been. So yes I think 6 was excessive for the first allocation and maybe some did 'pop out at the drop of a hat' maybe?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I want Coventry and Barnsley to go up, but suspect it will be the other two that actually do.  Carlisle in the other one too.

Its hard, I really don't like Luton at all so I don't want them to go up but I don't want to lose the easy trip to Coventry either. We have already lost Reading and Coventry is just a nice trip to fit in to break up the long haul ones. I really did thenk it would be a Boro v Sunderalnd final, was hoping Boro would be promoted, how wrong I was! So Luton (uggh), Wednesday and yes Carlisle.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

A lifelong Coventry fan I know is getting married in Coventry this afternoon, he's equally delighted about his wedding but gutted he won't be at Wembley 

He booked a year ago 

Why would you not check the play off final dates before booking the wedding. You just know the inevitable will happen. A lady caller on Talk Sport last week said she was a Coventry fan and had tickets but it was also the day of her best mates wedding. Brazil and Mcoist both told her to go the football (sound advice). 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Hope Coventry win ….:yawn:

Watched Breakfast tv this morning, my god what a sh*t hole that Luton ground is, how they could be allowed in the Prem with that ground is beyond me I thought Bournemouth with their 10,000 was bad enough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Amazing stat on Sky soccer this morning: Coventry have only spent 19 days in the top six all season, fewer than Reading who were relegated.

Wow, football is crazy!

On 20/05/2023 at 18:04, WessexPest said:

@CodeRed I’m extremely pleased for them - small town club and you can tell it means everything to their supporters. Had a soft spot for them since Cardiff in ‘03 when we won the LDV - found them to be a cracking bunch.

Another terrific advert for the playoffs in particular and the EFL in general. 

Fair play to them that day it's a bloody long way to come for them.

The odds on Coventry making the play-offs when bottom of the league and postponing games due to a sub standard pitch must've been huge....

Good luck to them. Detest Luton and their shitty little ground, at least the Ricoh has proper road access, some infrastructure and facilities.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why would you not check the play off final dates before booking the wedding. You just know the inevitable will happen. A lady caller on Talk Sport last week said she was a Coventry fan and had tickets but it was also the day of her best mates wedding. Brazil and Mcoist both told her to go the football (sound advice). 

Absolutely. I kind of did the same to my sister. Did actually attend the church bit, only cos it was 10.30 and in Bemmy, but I skipped the photos, reception and everything to be at City V Gas, it had to be done!

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Amazing stat on Sky soccer this morning: Coventry have only spent 19 days in the top six all season, fewer than Reading who were relegated.

Didn’t a certain team from the other side of the city fluke it even more than that.

I’m sure they only got into a playoff position, 7th I think, in the last few minutes of the season and then won at Wembley. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

The odds on Coventry making the play-offs when bottom of the league and postponing games due to a sub standard pitch must've been huge....

Good luck to them. Detest Luton and their shitty little ground, at least the Ricoh has proper road access, some infrastructure and facilities.

I had forgotten about that, yes we played the cup game at Burton didn't we, I was there and remember all the fuss at the time. They almost had a points deduction due to their pitch I believe. 

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wasn’t there another club once who spent only 20 minutes in a relegation spot all season and got relegated out of the league as a result?

Can’t for the life of me think who though…..

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Didn’t a certain team from the other side of the city fluke it even more than that.

I’m sure they only got into a playoff position, 7th I think, in the last few minutes of the season and then won at Wembley. 

Didn't they have to better the goal difference by scoring 7 and they bloody well did it. 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Wasn’t there another club once who spent only 20 minutes in a relegation spot all season and got relegated out of the league as a result?

Can’t for the life of me think who though…..

Yup, for every Ying there is a Yang?

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Didn't they have to better the goal difference by scoring 7 and they bloody well did it. 

One of the worst away days I can remember. 

We were at Huddersfield lunchtime kick off - and we were truly awful that day.

Then had to drive all the way home listening to one goal after the other going in……….

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

He booked a year ago 

You’ve got to plan ahead.

I will be celebrating a big (and depressing) birthday during next season’s play off weekend and when my wife asked this morning how I’d like to celebrate it I said maybe a weekend in London.

It will have been 16 years by then since our last go at play offs and we’ve never been promoted that way.

Just up to City now and they’ve never let me down before………….

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

Its hard, I really don't like Luton at all so I don't want them to go up but I don't want to lose the easy trip to Coventry either. We have already lost Reading and Coventry is just a nice trip to fit in to break up the long haul ones. I really did thenk it would be a Boro v Sunderalnd final, was hoping Boro would be promoted, how wrong I was! So Luton (uggh), Wednesday and yes Carlisle.

The changes in the division have pretty much evened themselves out, losing Reading & gaining Southampton, possibly losing Coventry & gaining Leicester, losing Sheff U & definitely gaining a side in Wednesday or Barnsley that’s very nearby.

Plymouth isn’t near but is far better than Burnley, Wigan or Blackpool too.

Leeds is a trek but not much further than those, whereas Everton would be virtually identical.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I want Coventry and Barnsley to go up, but suspect it will be the other two that actually do.  Carlisle in the other one too.

I’ve thought luton the whole way through too, but over the last few days have realised maybe Wembley pitch will come into it. It’s massive. Might play into coventrys hands a bit better?

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve thought luton the whole way through too, but over the last few days have realised maybe Wembley pitch will come into it. It’s massive. Might play into coventrys hands a bit better?

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yep, I think so too.

I’d rather lose Luton than Coventry. And to be fair to Luton, out of the 360 minutes that we’ve played both those teams this season, the first 45 minutes at Luton was the only time either of them really impressed. They were very good.

But my money would be on Coventry. With the anticipation of seeing Kasey Palmer and - possibly - Jay Dasilva in the PL!

Edited by italian dave

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought we did? 

Officially we have had over 43000 at Ashton Gate in the cup against Bolton just after the war. My dad always claimed that the following game had even more fans as many pushed the gates open and got in for free, people were sat on the roofs of the stands. :)

Official record attendance is against PNE 43,335.

I've been in crowds of 39k at AG.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, italian dave said:

One of the worst away days I can remember. 

We were at Huddersfield lunchtime kick off - and we were truly awful that day.

Then had to drive all the way home listening to one goal after the other going in……….

Exactly my experience of that day too. I don't want to say fair play to them for achieving that, but if we were in that situation I can guarantee we would have stuffed it up totally.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pillred said:

Watched Breakfast tv this morning, my god what a sh*t hole that Luton ground is, how they could be allowed in the Prem with that ground is beyond me I thought Bournemouth with their 10,000 was bad enough.

I would think the Prem officials are praying for a Cov win !         One duffer club in Bournemouth is bad enough ,but Luton as well, it would devalue the whole competition !?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It was Preston pre war the official figure, I'll see if I can find the game my dad talked about.

IMG_20230527_085228.thumb.jpg.188042e3c2b326924c981baa062304e3.jpg

I think the final figure I was thinking of was at the Millennium against Carlisle rather than Wembley?

I've heard some claim the estimated 'unofficial' attendance of that game was closer to 50,000.

The fewers say they'll watch their team from the pavement - we'll watch ours from the roof!

1935_50k_vs preston29847e07a.jpeg

Just now, OneCity said:

I've heard some claim the estimated 'unofficial' attendance of that game was closer to 50,000.

The fewers say they'll watch their team from the pavement - we'll watch ours from the roof!

1935_50k_vs preston29847e07a.jpeg

That's what I heard from my dad, there was another picture I saw where he reckoned he could pick himself out towards one side of the East End roof. :)

48 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It's a myth that the Wembley pitch is massive. Ashton Gate's is bigger.

38 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

It's a myth that the Wembley pitch is massive. Ashton Gate's is bigger.

Correct. Wembley is 115yd x 74yd whereas Ashton Gate is 115yd x 75yd (a yard wider).. 

However, 115yd x 74yd is the UEFA recommended size and is the dimension played on by most of the big clubs across Europe  including Barcelona, Dortmund, Man City, Arsenal to name a few. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content