IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

12 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Seems i might be in the minority but wanted Luton to win as they had 10 points more than Coventry plus i think it’s hilarious having kenilworth road as a premier league grounds.

Lots of teams and their fans will hate going there and could see them staying up as a result 

It was sh1t last time I went there in the mid 90s, and it looks the same now.

They've had planning permission for a while for a new stadium. Maybe they'll invest the bulk of their PL income in that rather than squander it on wages.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I would think the Prem officials are praying for a Cov win !         One duffer club in Bournemouth is bad enough ,but Luton as well, it would devalue the whole competition !?

Exactly, we didn't get what we wanted today but yes not exactly adding to the brand is it, look I know I (we) will get slated but come on apart from being cannon fodder next season what will they bring to what is widely accepted as the most exciting league in the world?    

For all of those bickering just like to point out, a tight, fit squad with the right qualities is what Luton have, skill wise we have better players in certain positions, they have resilience across their squad.  I think they will struggle next season but boy the cash will set them up.  

I'm confident next season we will kick on. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure the Prem is ready for Luton, saw an article earlier saying Luton need to spend £10M to get the ground ready, not sure if that's true, but having been there I wouldn't be surprised. 

Fair play to them, but it will be a minor miracle for them to stay up next year.

Apparently they've got to spend £10m to get the ground condemned ?

• Flames 1

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

classy interview. Also sounds like palmer coming off in ET was always gonna be the case. Hindsight is wonderful but wonder what wouldve happened if he got the job over McInnes

Absolutely right. Robins is a very classy guy and  a very decent man manager. He’ll go far in the future, maybe even managing his beloved Man Utd.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Exactly, we didn't get what we wanted today but yes not exactly adding to the brand is it, look I know I (we) will get slated but come on apart from being cannon fodder next season what will they bring to what is widely accepted as the most exciting league in the world?    

The only Prem ground you can enter via someones outside lav ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

I really thought Luton would be fighting to stay up in the championship. Got that wrong unfortunately. 

Why would a side that retained most of their players, play they lost Naismith plus added players like Morris and others that fit the setup and then playoffs with top half before fall into a relegation scrap? Plus a defined system, tricky away game etc.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I said that, we took two players from them and they still got promoted

Also how do Luton fit in all their fans there today into their ground!

It is not uncommon, okay we are better supported but we have often taken 40k to Wembley or the Millennium. Higher than our gates especially pre redevelopment etc.

New stadium might also add...Brighton went from 6-7k at Withdean in 2010-11 to 20k plus after promotion at Amex in the Championship in 2011-12! Factor of 2.5-3 overnight!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Both clubs have gone through it over recent history. I am glad that it's Luton though. The mere fact that that dump of a ground is now going to host Man City, Liverpool & Arsenal next season is quite amusing. It won't matter much though because the inflated and scandalous money that's frittered away by every Premier League club will mean nothing to their 10,500 capacity ground and will just underline how insane and money riddled football is. Good luck to them and well done Cov too, it just underlines how we've blown it.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why would a side that retained most of their players, play they lost Naismith plus added players like Morris and others that fit the setup and then playoffs with top half before fall into a relegation scrap? Plus a defined system, tricky away game etc.

Not that I thought Luton would struggle but it can happen,  look at huddersfield. 

I dont think anyone expected them to be in the top half in either of the last two seasons. More fool us!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Because it can happen and I thought it might ?‍♂️

9 hours ago, RedM said:

I said that, we took two players from them and they still got promoted

Also how do Luton fit in all their fans there today into their ground!

We took Cornick from them & they still went up???????

Wow.  ?

Also,, please miss,, can you explain to me how would we fit 36,000 supporters into Ashton gate? (without 10,000 of them standing on the pitch)

Edited by Son of Fred

Much as it’s galling to see a club like Luton go past us in the league hierarchy, with their crappy ground in a crappy town, the only tiny glimmer of enjoyment I am getting from their promotion is the schadenfreude of Watford sacking Edwards, who appears to be a fairly decent bloke, and him then getting their supposedly lesser rivals promoted, while the mad Italian owners keep spinning the managerial appointment roulette wheel more desperately every season, and hopefully spaffimg away all of their parachute payments!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Seeing a lot of chat like this about what Coventry and Luton fans have endured. It’s true, but I can remember both of these teams playing in the top division in my lifetime (I turned 40 last week). Whereas City have done nothing but float between the second and third tier in my four decades.

I think I’d rather have had the rollercoaster ride up and down the divisions than our years of nothingness. To my mind, that’s worse.

Me just turning 60 years I'm lucky to have seen some success and 1st division football at Ashton gate and travelling away in the late 70s.Your time will come season 24/25

• Like 2

The nice thing about being a human is that we have the ability to feel and think multiple things at once.

I'm happy for Luton. "New" teams getting up to the top division is good. It's a way to share the riches around outside of the usual clubs. It's encouraging for teams like us that Luton and others have managed it*. They are also a part of Fair Game, working for a better game. With a voice at the top table next season who knows what could maybe happen there.

Simultaneously I'm annoyed that we've not been able to emulate Luton, Brentford, Brighton etc. It is frustrating to see these teams succeed ahead of us. I understand why we've struggled in the last decade, but the excuses get thinner with time. I still don't expect promotion next season, but my god do I want it!

*That does not mean we are failures for not doing it. It simply shows that it is possible.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Depends on how Coventry strengthen over the summer. If they can recruit the right players Robins will get the best out of them.

They are likely to lose the likes of Gyökeres and Hamer though so it's going to be a challenge.

• Like 1

I can remember when the Premier League was starting there were loads of complaints that it would become a closed shop with the same teams participating each season.

Luton are now the 51st club to play in the PL. One of those 51, Oldham, aren’t even in the league anymore.

It can’t be many more before it’s our turn. Can it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Me just turning 60 years I'm lucky to have seen some success and 1st division football at Ashton gate and travelling away in the late 70s.Your time will come season 24/25

Clarification

Your time will come season 2124/25

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I can remember when the Premier League was starting there were loads of complaints that it would become a closed shop with the same teams participating each season.

Luton are now the 51st club to play in the PL. One of those 51, Oldham, aren’t even in the league anymore.

It can’t be many more before it’s our turn. Can it?

Plymouth, Preston, Millwall, Rotherham will likely get promoted before we do. I can't see it ever happening for us as sad as it sounds

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Thinking more about Prem Teams used to expansive changing rooms, big pitches going to a small compact partisan ground, playing against a group of players who will very much be in their faces. This is why I think the home factor may well keep them up.

Neither of use can predict the future, but the gulf between the Championship and Premier League is enormous. I’m not convinced that a small ground and an enthusiast group of players is sufficient to bridge the gulf. The Wolves, Palace and Fulham pitches are similar sizes and they’ve all difficult periods in the league with far better players. Wimbledon had success with a poor ground and good team spirit but that was over 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then and the quality of players in the Premier League has improved. For me, if you can’t manage good home form in the Championship it’s only going to get worse when you move up a level. As an aside, if a crap ground and a group of crazy supporters was a recipe for success then Bristol Rovers would be top of League 1 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Neither of use can predict the future, but the gulf between the Championship and Premier League is enormous. I’m not convinced that a small ground and an enthusiast group of players is sufficient to bridge the gulf. The Wolves, Palace and Fulham pitches are similar sizes and they’ve all difficult periods in the league with far better players. Wimbledon had success with a poor ground and good team spirit but that was over 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then and the quality of players in the Premier League has improved. For me, if you can’t manage good home form in the Championship it’s only going to get worse when you move up a level. As an aside, if a crap ground and a group of crazy supporters was a recipe for success then Bristol Rovers would be top of League 1 

Fair points, and against the top 6 or 7 I’d agree as their gulf in class should be able to comfortably manage what Luton bring to the table, the rest of the mediocrity that makes up the Prem might be slightly different. Arguably the Prem is now 3 mini leagues, Champions League and Title, European qualification, and not go down. Luton will clearly be in the latter, and if they’re competitive in that mini-league then they’ve got half a chance. 

• Like 1