IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Asked about Kalas and Dasilva. Both offered contracts but on reduced wages that we already knew.

Asked about how to improve refereeing standards - goes off on one! Referees should give what they see rather than being reluctant to get it wrong. Says that in his time at City we’ve had just had two penalties. Inconsistency is a real problem. Interpretation of the games rules seems different at different levels.

Twentyman is an excellent broadcaster - asking all the right questions.

Nige thinks the club is in a good place and ready to push for promotion/top six. Sees the need to strengthen the team, not enough goals from midfield especially the 10 position but the pace in the team frightens opposing teams. Says the players have been frustrated this season inconsistency and are really motivated to do better next season.

Loans - tried to bring in a PL loan in January but was prohibitively expensive.

Congratulated Geoff on his journalistic career and wishes him all the best with his family in the future.

As usual Nige was excellent.

He was,  he also said 2 deals very close and after that we'll look at the market and see what we can do on our budget....  But if someone goes out ( Scott presumably) the situation will change.

Nothing we didn't know but he did seem confident that we're going to have a real go next season. ?

• Like 2

Nigel didn’t say anything unexpected but it was as an interesting listen. I liked the interview with Con Sullivan and the Ashton Gate Eight segment but not impressed with having to listen to Mark Ashton again. It reminded me of how awful he was 

22 minutes ago, Rocky said:

DaSilva offered a deal in January and Kalas recently, waiting on responses. 

Nige thinks play offs possible next season, otherwise he wouldn’t bother being here. 

GT is very good, I wish he’d asked for a timeframe for a decision back from them both though. 

I assume it is the end of the month but would have been good to try & find out.

40 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Have missed. If someone could provide a full summary at the end that would be appreciated.

@BigTone then please provide your condensed version

Would love to but unable to pick up RB here in France.

Condensed Version

**** knows

Sorry Coach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Listening to Ashton makes me feel so angry now. How the hell did SL not see through that bullshitter. 

Because it exposed his son’s awful Chairmanship.

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So glad he’s left our club. Listening to him justify Dean Holdens appointment currently, is frustrating the shit out of me

I like to think it’s Geoff just making sure everyone knows what a snake Ashton is / was.

• Like 6

What really stood out to me at the time of that MA interview that sounds even worse now…

”we had a really open mind” - well you shouldn’t. What an odd thing to admit as a CEO. At that stage of the clubs journey and also the state of the world at the time, you absolutely needed to have a clear idea on what you wanted

”interviewed 4 people on a number of occasions” - why would you need to interview a manager ‘a number of times’? You’d know their style of play at the very least, so if you needed a number of times you’re probably outing yourself that you know nothing about them, and probably making them lose interest in the job themselves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Geoff is replaying some of the great moments of SOTC.  It’s a recording of him interviewing Ashton and making him squirm…it was top radio.

Thank you that makes sense I thought they had got him back on!

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The playing highlights from SOTC down the years might well be purely because Geoff is leaving, but I wonder also if it signifies that it won't continue next season, at least not in its current format?

Big changes in BBC “local” radio, i.e. it’s not going to be local anymore past 2pm weekdays or on weekends. Regional at best. So how that works with local sport I have no idea. All part of shifting resources from radio to digital apparently, but really just about saving money, even though local radio is “cheap as chips” compared to pretty much everything else they produce.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 4

Love so see nige confident in our ability to try challenge for top 6 next year and from what it sounds like the players want to as well. 

Even if we got it in and didn’t win it or missed it by a few points that progression is brilliant with the situation he was initially handed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

Love so see nige confident in our ability to try challenge for top 6 next year and from what it sounds like the players want to as well. 

Even if we got it in and didn’t win it or missed it by a few points that progression is brilliant with the situation he was initially handed.

Pop back on here after we've been beaten 3-0 at home by Rotherham on the opening day! ?

In all seriousness though, I feel the club is very United now, with a good squad that will get better and a very good manager. I fully expect us to be in and around 6th spot next season.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So glad he’s left our club. Listening to him justify Dean Holdens appointment currently, is frustrating the shit out of me

MA: Geoff, we conducted an extensive search for the biggest knob on the planet. We ran a really rigorous process, and decided that I was that knob.

Geoff: What happened with John Holmes?

MA: I'm not going to discuss individuals, but we short (long?) listed 10 knobs, and whittled it down to 4. We measured those knobs up and down, and round the middle. Ultimately, me and Jon decided that my reflection reflected the biggest knob on the planet.

Geoff: Something we can all agree on. Mark, thanks for your time tonight.

MA: Thanks Geoff. It's been a pleasure.

Geoff: You're listening to the Sound of the City. Lets go over to Roger for a final travel report ...

• Haha 9

Listening to the interview, a few things crossed my mind. 

Negotiations are on going with a couple players right now. 

Kalas and DaSilva both been offered contracts. Kalas recently and DaSilva back in January. 

If neither have given answers yet, then I'm guessing the two players we are negotiating with aren't in the same positions as Kakas and DaSilva...or using money from their wages or sales. 

NP also gave a hint that he would still like Scott here and a glimmer that he might still be, if a massive amount of ££££s weren't offered and it wasn't good for all parties. 

In planning for next season...it leaves a bit of a conundrum. 

Planning a team with Scott...or planning a team without Scott. 

The longer it goes on not knowing, the harder it will become to plan around his departure or him staying. 

A last minute say £35 million bid at the end of the transfer window. What good would that money be then? No time to plan for a replacement...unless those concerns have been covered and replacements pin pointed to go for last minute. 

That's my only concern...that if Scott goes, it's too late in the transfer window to get an adequate replacement deal done in time for the new season. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Big changes in BBC “local” radio, i.e. it’s not going to be local anymore past 2pm weekdays or on weekends. Regional at best. So how that works with local sport I have no idea. All part of shifting resources from radio to digital apparently, but really just about saving money, even though local radio is “cheap as chips” compared to pretty much everything else they produce.

It annoys me that the cash-eating monolith that is BBC One rarely gets touched, yet local radio and TV that has yearly costs a fraction of it, gets routinely f-ed over.

These are old costs, but the proportions are roughly the same:

BBC spending graphic

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It annoys me that the cash-eating monolith that is BBC One rarely gets touched, yet local radio and TV that has yearly costs a fraction of it, gets routinely f-ed over.

These are old costs, but the proportions are roughly the same:

BBC spending graphic

I don't understand what BBC 1 makes most of its daytime content is repeats, bargain hunt, homes under the hammer, news, and a load of other crap.  Then in the evening it's crime dramas and news.  The amount of sport is tiny and it's spend is excruciating compared to comparative budgets.  

Very little original content.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

if its going to be regional at best on saturdays then you can guarantee tinpot yeovil will be the favourite as usual.......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Red Skin said:

One thing NP is is waffle free.  He can be quite circumspect at times and cautious with his language, but he does tell it as it is. 

As for example this: ‘I just think, at times, the club has had too many players, too many players on loan and what we’re trying to do now is create an atmosphere which is quite tight and we want our players to enjoy success with us.’

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I don't understand what BBC 1 makes most of its daytime content is repeats, bargain hunt, homes under the hammer, news, and a load of other crap.  Then in the evening it's crime dramas and news.  The amount of sport is tiny and it's spend is excruciating compared to comparative budgets.  

you not seen the price of biscuits these days....

9 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

And what there is, could easily be provided in the commercial sector. Commercial radio is never going to give lower league football the prominence it gets on BBC local radio at present.