IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Millwall

2 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

The reason he hasn't been playing sadly is that he wasn't good enough to play at prem level. When he did play from what I can remember watching on MOTD he didn't have many creative moments and was part of a very leaky defence. The fact he's hardly played since dropping out of first team contention and that includes when Fulham were in the Champ previously is the concern. Yes, he was a good player for us in the past and had some exciting highlights, which attracted the interest of Fulham and Villa, but is he better than what we've got now. I'm not convinced.

I hope I'm wrong and slipping the City shirt back on puts his career back on track but this feels more like a transfer of the heart than the head to me.

We’ll be getting a better player than the one that left . Two promotions to the prem & 40+ games in the top flight  . Really don’t get people not wanting him back . With the wages we’re paying now , we’d have no chance of getting a top championship player of his calibre generally . That would be Joe, Matty James & Andy king with the know how of getting out of this league 

• Like 7

Have I missed something regarding him in midfield? I know before he left he had a little run there but not many and I can’t remember him pulling up any trees? I like him him and be great to have him back but not sure where he fits. Won’t be infront of Pring I’d imagine.

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Why not ?

The most league minutes he's ever played in a season is 3,500 - 84% of the maximum possible.

So based on past performance he's not an every minute player, and so is unlikely to achieve that maximum. Maybe he plays 85% and gets 6 goals. That's obviously great, but is unlikely to solve all our issues (remember that in doing that he is replacing someone else - maybe Mehmeti or Bell, so it's not a pure net gain of +6 goals).

Edited by ExiledAjax

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The most league minutes he's ever played in a season is 3,500 - 84% of the maximum possible.

So based on past performance he's not an every minute player, and so is unlikely to achieve that maximum. Maybe he plays 85% and gets 6 goals. That's obviously great, but is unlikely to solve all our issues (remember that in doing that he is replacing someone else - maybe Mehmeti or Bell, so it's not a pure net gain of +6 goals).

What about the goals he may score from free kicks? Or by delivering set pieces? Considering we are rubbish in that area then it would be a net gain. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Statto

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is he meant to be coming in to solve all of our problems as I am not sure anyone is actually saying that?

What if he comes and assists a fair few goals, what if he helps Pring create more assists with link up play, what if he helps cover Pring and we concede less goals, what if he helps improve a few youngsters as well. 

I think with JB looking likely to return, it not only adds quality and versatility to the squad, but it also has a sensible degree of contingency built in as I'd be amazed if there wasn't strong interest in Cam this summer, plus Jays future is obviously still very much undecided.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong as Cam was a revelation this season, and his pace and power are a real asset both defensively and offensively.  I can also see us continuing our pursuit of Currie in addition to JB joining, assuming JD moves on.

Edited by Magicdaps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheReds said:

I'm lost, you say he isn't a 5-10 goalscorer we are looking for but in the same post predicts he will get 7?

If he plays every minute. If they are all at LM. Then he could be reasonably predicted to get 7.

Look, maybe I misunderstood @Major Isewater's post in that I read it as setting an unreasonable expectation that signing Joe Bryan would create many goals from midfield. Based on Bryan's history that is unlikely.

I'll say again though, I want him to sign. He'd be a great addition. Just about having reasonable and fair expectations of new signings is all.

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

TBH I'm not at all bothered by how many goals are in him, although If he plays further forward than he has been, then goals are more likely. A player of his quality and experience is more important for me and if he can do 80% of games, that'll be good. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Rock hard?? You're a younger man than me then...

It stops @Fordy62 rolling out of bed!

29 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Statto

Yeah, what a geek, eh! ?

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Has anyone spotted Joe Bryan in Bristol ? 
:yawn:

Yes….

….was a few years ago though!

6 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

My worry with JB is he’s lost his ambition and is looking for an easy life in familiar surroundings. 

I would imagine it’s actually his motivation….fingers crossed.

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm absolutely certain Nige wouldn't sign him if he had any sort of feeling that he was coming back here for an easy life.

I agree with Bobbie and you here; and this was my concern. I don’t discount his ability as a player, but going back is always questionable and we’ve moved on from the Lansdown/nepotism/family-feel era now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree with Bobbie and you here; and this was my concern. I don’t discount his ability as a player, but going back is always questionable and we’ve moved on from the Lansdown/nepotism/family-feel era now. 

I see it totally opposite OT. He’s only 29 returning to the club that made/gave him the opportunity to be a professional footballer. IMO he will lead by example and try and fire us into the premier league. No passengers at our football club now. Those days are gone and IMO players know exactly where they stand.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I see it totally opposite OT. He’s only 29 returning to the club that made/gave him the opportunity to be a professional footballer. IMO he will lead by example and try and fire us into the premier league. No passengers at our football club now. Those days are gone and IMO players know exactly where they stand.

Probably the best, most respectful, alternative view to a comment I’ve made on here ever! ??

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Are they though?

Is Kane Wilson not a passenger? What chance has he been given after joining off the back of a POTY season in L2?

Our history is littered with ‘returnees’ who have failed to fully live up to expectations second time around, in on or off the field roles - whether loans to permanent (the Chelsea trio, Tomlin et al) or permanent to permanent (Joe Jordan).

There are occasional exceptions. Hopefully, Joe B would be one of those. On the ‘hope’ side, the guy is super-intelligent and highly likeable. He was very fit and athletic. There is a ‘risk’ side though, the mental health aspect and whether that hunger for football and success really does still burn bright. I suspect even Joe doesn’t fully know that - but, logically, he may well view it that if he can’t do it for his hometown Club in familiar surroundings with family support, he wouldn’t be able to do it anywhere else. The other ‘risk’ is that Nige doesn’t know how to play him…for info. he just hasn’t the positional awareness to play full-back, so left/central midfield please.

Let’s hope for an MA-style ‘vigorous’ assessment before we commit so neither parties end up regretting the move. That said, on an emotional level, I’d really love to welcome him back and for him to play a big part in pushing us on. 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Are they though?

Is Kane Wilson not a passenger? What chance has he been given after joining off the back of a POTY season in L2?

What makes him fit the “passenger” tag in your eyes.  And what impact do you think his injury has had on his chances (post-recovery).  I’m not agreeing or disagreeing, just interested in why you consider him a passenger.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Are they though?

He had a serious injury, pretty certain he would have started the season at right back. Nige said it’s been a tough recovery for him. He now has a pre season to get himself back up to speed. 

It’s certainly better than what it was IMO. By a long way 

13 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Our history is littered with ‘returnees’ who have failed to fully live up to expectations second time around, in on or off the field roles - whether loans to permanent (the Chelsea trio, Tomlin et al) or permanent to permanent (Joe Jordan).

There are occasional exceptions. Hopefully, Joe B would be one of those. On the ‘hope’ side, the guy is super-intelligent and highly likeable. He was very fit and athletic. There is a ‘risk’ side though, the mental health aspect and whether that hunger for football and success really does still burn bright. I suspect even Joe doesn’t fully know that - but, logically, he may well view it that if he can’t do it for his hometown Club in familiar surroundings with family support, he wouldn’t be able to do it anywhere else. The other ‘risk’ is that Nige doesn’t know how to play him…for info. he just hasn’t the positional awareness to play full-back, so left/central midfield please.

Let’s hope for an MA-style ‘vigorous’ assessment before we commit so neither parties end up regretting the move. That said, on an emotional level, I’d really love to welcome him back and for him to play a big part in pushing us on. 

On the other hand, Carey and Murray did well second time around. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Are they though?

Well considering he was out for a large part of the season with an injury, understandably not a lot.

He didn't play any part at the end of the season as he wasn't needed, and we weren't playing for anything.

After having players return, too early in some cases, and then get a recurrence and/or something else because they're not up to speed, it made absolutely no sense in even risking Wilson with the season end around the corner. Correct decision in not risking him completely.

People already writing him off (not in this case, but it has been said) need to remember Szmodics. Was bombed back out and now playing the best football of his career to date with Blackburn.

He hasn't been written off, nor is he a passenger. His first season here has been a write off because of the injury and rehabilitation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Taz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

IMO even if he does come in and isn't necessarily as good as we expect and only contributes to a few goals a season I don't mind having someone around the dressing room who brings a bit more of a Bristolian feeling back to the club.

For what it's worth I don't think that will be the case, I think he would be a good addition to every single Championship squad, including the 3 that come down.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

History littered with returning players?

You must be joking. Working backwards there are Carey and Murray who had short and not too productive spells away, yet came back and did very well. 

Prior to that in the 1970/80's Chris Garland and Tom Ritchie and did superbly well. Chris even came back a third time after being one of the Ashton Gate Eight.

And the only other two that I can remember were Jimmy Rogers and Jack Boxley. Heroes in the first promotion team that I saw in 1955, they left, probably didn't want to and both returned a couple of years later. Rogers is still third highest scorer, I believe!

I haven't included the trash like Tomlin and a few other ex loaners as IMO, I don't count loaners as permanent players.

• Like 2