IGNORED

Explaining The Quality of The Posts Reporting

Silvio Dante

There's no sports journalism at a local level, all that Bristol Live, Bristol World, and Bristol 25/7 do is search the internet, twitter, and this forum ,  and not particularly well either as usually someone on here is first with any significant news like a signing ( from a proper source- national journo, foreign journo connected to selling club etc) and the local news pick it up from here and a few hours later it's...." Bristol Live can exclusively reveal etc...."

Does anyone actually read the whole of their online content? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Certainly not the poor sod minimum wagers who write it given the pressure they are under to churn out their daily quota whilst not being allowed to leave the office except to try a new burger and hang a story off it.

In one byline the other week I saw "casualties", presumably mis-spelt and autocorrected, as "causalaties".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

There's no sports journalism at a local level, all that Bristol Live, Bristol World, and Bristol 25/7 do is search the internet, twitter, and this forum ,  and not particularly well either as usually someone on here is first with any significant news like a signing ( from a proper source- national journo, foreign journo connected to selling club etc) and the local news pick it up from here and a few hours later it's...." Bristol Live can exclusively reveal etc...."

Bigger regionals - like the Manchester Evening News - actually provide a decent sports coverage on their patch, and occasionally you'll get a little paper, the York Press is famous for this, that is almost embedded in the fabric of the club it reports on and has lots of insight.

In the main though you are right. Bristol's sport reporting has been quite poor and in part this is because, you may not be too surprised to hear, City are quite a difficult club to deal with. A lot less transparent than some. Lansdown in particular is quite waspish in his dealings with the press. 

I don't point the finger at individual journalists on the sports beat in this area, who do their best with the limited resources they are given. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Only if it’s City related. I’m not interested in any other articles. The Post as a newspaper has become prohibitively expensive so may as well read the same article’s online for free.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What’s this got to do with BP?  Because they follow Roy?

I think its a sense of if an employee finds Roy's account amusing they should probably follow it with their own account rather than the Bristol City Post one 

9 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I am very reluctant to click on any links to these type of publications because the article is usually unreadable due to advertising, pop ups and banners.

To fight may way through that only to find the article a let down is not worth it.

If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, you can click the “reader” icon and the adverts are removed.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

I think the people in those jobs might disagree with your statement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

With respect, that's not true. The likes of Piercy, McGregor, Forrester and Ben Fisher all attend matches and press conferences, and are always talking with agents, players, coaches etc. 

They absolutely do go pro-actively looking for stories and don't rely on internet searches.

Of course certain publications (including the ones they work for) recycle click bait stories, but many of those are outside of their control, or are done to encourage clicks. 

They don't sit on their arses doing nothing. Gregor used to commute to every game from Cowbridge. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect, that's not true. The likes of Piercy, McGregor, Forrester and Ben Fisher all attend matches and press conferences, and are always talking with agents, players, coaches etc. 

They absolutely do go pro-actively looking for stories and don't rely on internet searches.

Of course certain publications (including the ones they work for) recycle click bait stories, but many of those are outside of their control, or are done to encourage clicks. 

They don't sit on their arses doing nothing. Gregor used to commute to every game from Cowbridge. 

And do it for basically minimum wage after you factor in they pretty much work 7 days a week too. 

I find it fascinating that people actually think that they guess stuff or make it up, when it comes to rumours. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Long gone are the days when Andy Stockhausen would pretend to cover bristol city

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It makes me laugh when they plagiarise most of their "news" from elsewhere, they copy and paste all the typos & bad grammar as well - an Infant could create Reach Rags content

Just a reflection of the day, where "my facts" appear to carry the same validity as "the facts".

As an aside, I was in ASDA around the time of the pandemic when i noticed a sign on the banana shelves saying " sorry no bananas due to problems in the Atlantic".

I jauntily asked one of the members of staff if this was due to the U-boats being back. He said he didn't really know but would ask a Manager if he could find one, or perhaps I could Google it to find out. 

I did. It wasn't.

• Haha 4

Just on the quality generally, this is abysmal (amongst in the first piece a decent article). Spelling errors are something that happens but they seem to get the language wrong a lot, to the extent that it changes the meaning of the article.

Both from today - Exhibit A is trying to say Nige wants Joe Bryan but instead categorically says he doesn’t. Exhibit B is saying we only want to sign players who won’t improve the squad.

Unfortunately such errors markedly lessen confidence in the journalism, irrespective of other good points: 

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg