IGNORED

It’s going to bad a interesting league next season

sticks 1969

23 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

I listed the young players I thought would do well, Chaplin's 26 so still probably not even reached his prime.

Sheffield Utd's team when they came up was full of players like Basham, Coutts, Fleck, Duffy, Leon Clarke etc that'd hardly ripped the Championship up before, the difference between them and us was they went out and recruited sensibly by strengthening the side with players like Egan, Baldock, Stevens etc who didn't cost a fortune but all improved the side, fit their way of playing and carried that on.

We tried that with Maguire, Gray, Gayle etc but for one reason or another those didn't come off.

I think they'll surprise a few next season, Ipswich. I hope they don't, as I'd love for it to go tits up for Mark Ashton, but I think they will.

Sheff Utd is a good example and your right their recruitment was excellent. Can Ashton replicate that sort of recruitment at this level? From experience here, the answer is no.

Our list of players is the same with the exception of Chaplin who whilst at 26 could improve but was a 1 goal in 5 game player at Champ level would need to improve substantially for them to be at the top of this league. With regards to Hirst I think he'll stay at Leicester now they have been relegated

I don't think they'll struggle but do feel they are being overhyped massively. my prediction currently is they'll be a midtable/ lower midtable team, obviously we need to see who they (and everyone else) signs before we can have a proper guess.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Give us a clue?;)

Depends what you think of as interesting. Unless we got the signings just right after promotion we'd be struggling all season, take some horrendous beatings, and almost certainly be relegated.

Life for newcomers in the top division is unrecognisable from our last promotion in 75-76 when we played our first game at Arsenal with no new signings at all, and won of course, but still only stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

Although there were the occasional highs much of it wasn't particularly interesting either - I remember home games v the likes of Leicester, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, Middlesbro' etc that were pretty drab affairs with not much bigger crowds and no more atmosphere than Div.2 .

Entertainment factor too. If we go up we'll likely score 70+ goals, we could probably expect to see less than half of that in the top league (38 goals in 42 games in 76-77)

I should make it clear I'm only interested in City, I'm not that interested in watching the opposition, and I suspect if we do go up a lot of the crowd will be there for the occasion, the day out, and to see ( and possibly even support) the opposition.

Of course it will be tough to stay up but it's what we are playing for to test ourselves in the top league. Such a losers mentality people who would prefer us playing championship football.

28 minutes ago, Fuber said:

They actually really don't have a young squad to be honest. Harry Clarke is 22 and basically their youngest first teamer from last season. Average age of their midfield is around 28-29.

To contrast that, we have 6 players younger than that (Mehmeti, Bell, Conway, Scott, Taylor-Clarke, Benarous) we can expect play some first team minutes in the Championship this coming season.

Only balanced by the fact we have King, James, Weimann, and Wells in the squad.

I know, I just said lots of their young players would step up, not that they have a young squad on the whole.

23 hours ago, M.D said:

A good friend of mine is an Ipswich fan, He still thinks playoffs is a minimum and auto promotion is realistic.

'Bring bring bring bring'

Thats his alarm clock waking him up..

Playoffs is definitely achievable whilst they have McKenna. Definitely shouldn’t be seen as a minimum and god help them also if McKenna gets poached mid season

On 29/05/2023 at 11:31, sticks 1969 said:

I’m going to be honest I pinched this picture of Facebook 

some big teams again next season 

IMG_8737.png

Looks strong but I do remember being really worried the last time all of the promoted sides stayed up and only one made the playoffs and we finished 8th. One team I really fancy this season is Sunderland even without Diallo

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Looks strong but I do remember being really worried the last time all of the promoted sides stayed up and only one made the playoffs and we finished 8th. One team I really fancy this season is Sunderland even without Diallo

Having seriously underestimated Sunderland last season, I think they will go well again this season.  They should be getting good income streams to support recruitment.  And they have a top manager, that’s my excuse, as he wasn’t there at the start of the season when I did my predictions ?.  Losing Alex Neil turned out well for them.

Theyll have Ross Stewart back I assume?

23 hours ago, M.D said:

A good friend of mine is an Ipswich fan, He still thinks playoffs is a minimum and auto promotion is realistic.

'Bring bring bring bring'

Thats his alarm clock waking him up..

I agree with him to an extent, excellent side with momentum could be challenging top 6..

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Having seriously underestimated Sunderland last season, I think they will go well again this season.  They should be getting good income streams to support recruitment.  And they have a top manager, that’s my excuse, as he wasn’t there at the start of the season when I did my predictions ?.  Losing Alex Neil turned out well for them.

Stewart should be back in August.

I had Sunderland to finish 10th under Neil, think he's a great manager too. I'd have gone for him when Holden got the job.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep had Cirkin out for the playoffs and then didn’t field a centre back for the back end of the season so would imagine they get the likes of Batth and Alese back. Aswell as them no doubt splashing some cash 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Stewart should be back in August.

I had Sunderland to finish 10th under Neil, think he's a great manager too. I'd have gone for him when Holden got the job.

He’s a good manager, no arguments there…I think there will be big expectations on Stoke this season…I’m not sure they are quite ready for full lift-off yet from what Neil was saying in January.

But a lot can change in a summer window.

• Like 1

Swansea had a good run at the end of last season winning 7 and drawing 2 of the last ten games (unbeaten in the last 9).

Scored 21 and conceded 9 in that run.

Not sure of any loan players or OOC players they will lose, but they should be confident going into the season.

9/1 for promotion at the moment (odds from oddschecker).

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Swansea had a good run at the end of last season winning 7 and drawing 2 of the last ten games (unbeaten in the last 9).

Not sure of any loan players or OOC players they will lose, but they should be confident going into the season.

image.png.271c946021bdbfe014de2f9040d50ab0.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Losing their manager though aren't they, Piroe and Manning I think will be gone too.

Certainly finished the season strongly.

1 hour ago, Super said:

You would rather be in the championship than the prem?

Being in the PL would not be enjoyable if we're struggling at the bottom of the table - very likely - and the Championship is a great league to be in if you're established and competitive which imo. City now are.

Lots of big clubs (if not the very biggest) and 6 new ones every year to keep it interesting.

We do need to be patient and keep on building until we're strong enough to go up in some style with the real prospect of staying up rather than scraping up through the play offs and the likelihood of a very unenjoyable season up there and almost inevitable relegation.

We're nowhere near that yet and realism and patience is required by fans over the next 2-3 years - and perhaps the owner after recent mutterings.

• Like 1