IGNORED

Teams who've never made the Prem...

spudski

On 01/06/2023 at 08:51, Bris Red said:

Awful to see it in black and white to be fair, as others have said with the average gates we are pulling in now at home the fanbase really deserves better. Considering the absolute shit we have had to put up with to still average 20k and over at home is unbelievable support.

The only hope it does give you is we must surely be one of the  stand out clubs in this country for outside investment. Everything at the football club is in place and for an owner/owners who really want to take a club forward we have to be a fantastic proposition.

We don't deserve nothing. It has to be earned on the pitch. 

What good is outside investment with ffp in place? A new owner would not be able to spend anymore than Lansdown is without breaching ffp. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Laughing emoji because I disagree with you. The size of a club is determined by fanbase, not what they have won. By that theory, The Wanderers were a bigger club than us as they won the FA Cup 5 times or Wimbledon or Bolton due to time in the top division. You can win umpteen trophies but if you are watched by only 10,000 fans it doesnt make you a huge club.

And yes, Prestons history is impressive, but they are not a bigger club than us 

Complete rubbish in my opinion . Newcastle have a massive fanbase because they’re  a one team city . They haven’t won anything for something like 70 years in terms of major trophies. Trophies in the cabinet is what matters . They got a much bigger fanbase than Forest  but forest have won two European cups 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Complete rubbish in my opinion . Newcastle have a massive fanbase because they’re  a one team city . They haven’t won anything for something like 70 years in terms of major trophies. Trophies in the cabinet is what matters . They got a much bigger fanbase than Forest  but forest have won two European cups 

But they ARE a massive club, no?

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Do you honestly think Forest are bigger than Newcastle?

That is a very mad opinion

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 16:09, W-S-M Seagull said:

Personally I'm quite content that we are an established Championship club. It wasn't that long ago we were at the bottom of league one. 

We've historically gone up and down but now we can finally say we are established. Even the past few years whilst things have been difficult We've never really been in danger of relegation. We've managed to consolidate whilst cutting our cloth accordingly. 

I don't understand the desperation to get to the premier league? The Championship is a great competitive league where in any given game we can win. 

I'm happy that we continue to build slowly towards getting there and staying there. We now have a good stadium and a great training ground and the academy is producing some fantastic players. 

We will get there but patience is required. Getting desperate about it will be counter productive. 

There were references to the idea of a "Bristol mindset" that holds us back earlier in the thread - is the sentence in bold potentially an example of that?

Yes, it's great that we've progressed and patience is required at times, but should we be content with just being an established Championship club?

Consider the other clubs that, in theory, have similar potential to us (i.e. clubs in cities of similar sizes, clubs with similar fanbases/attendances etc). How many of those clubs do you think would say they're just content with being established in the Championship? Very very few I would imagine.

IMO we're not a club that should see mid-table in the Championship as an achievement. but rather see it as a minimum expectation. 

Maybe the question should be, who's the biggest club to have done bugger all since forever. I can't believe anyone's challenging us for that.

Luton have done the complete cycle. They were top flight when I was a teenager, had their bad years and now top flight again now I'm in my 50's. Clubs that get themselves into terrible financial trouble, dust themselves down and just go sailing past us again. Why do we never achieve anything?  

Edited by Kingswood Robin
typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

There were references to the idea of a "Bristol mindset" that holds us back earlier in the thread - is the sentence in bold potentially an example of that?

Yes, it's great that we've progressed and patience is required at times, but should we be content with just being an established Championship club?

Consider the other clubs that, in theory, have similar potential to us (i.e. clubs in cities of similar sizes, clubs with similar fanbases/attendances etc). How many of those clubs do you think would say they're just content with being established in the Championship? Very very few I would imagine.

IMO we're not a club that should see mid-table in the Championship as an achievement. but rather see it as a minimum expectation. 

Maybe it is a Bristol 'Thing'...when you look at the size of the City and catchment area, with various owners and backing, what sport in the area has really shone in history?

Football, Rugby and Cricket has all been very very average. 

• Like 1

As the editor of The Sun once said, you are a Bristol City supporter through thin and thinner. 

We are now an established Championship club and established as the biggest club in Bristol (some May laugh but we were always losing to Rovers in the 80s and 90s) and the biggest club in the SouthWest and as far East as Reading. Thus there is a lot of upside. 

However the lack of top flight football is annoying and yes I do believe that the local mindset plays a part along with a load of other issues.