IGNORED

EFL regulation changes.

Steve Watts

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The issue with multi ball will be if a ball is in the crowd still and the opposition team is breaking away the fans will just chuck the ball on the pitch to stop the game

They do that anyway, as soon as the spare ball is kicked on from Scotty’s “ballbag” (?), having wasted ages.

From new EFL guidelines just published. MultiBall is back, not via ball boys is the way I read it, no more towels for long throws. Looking forward to this being abused as soon as Colin works out how to do it  

MULTIBALL / TOWELS  

The EFL will introduce a multiball system in all its competitions for the 2023/24 season. Match balls will be placed on cones in designated areas at pitch side to help increase the time of the ball being in play. Meanwhile, Clubs will no longer be permitted to use towels or other articles, including items obtained from spectators to dry footballs during matches. 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

From new EFL guidelines just published. MultiBall is back, not via ball boys is the way I read it, no more towels for long throws. Looking forward to this being abused as soon as Colin works out how to do it  

MULTIBALL / TOWELS  

The EFL will introduce a multiball system in all its competitions for the 2023/24 season. Match balls will be placed on cones in designated areas at pitch side to help increase the time of the ball being in play. Meanwhile, Clubs will no longer be permitted to use towels or other articles, including items obtained from spectators to dry footballs during matches. 

Colin will get his players wearing these gloves to wipe the ball.

8E5D369E-3827-4178-89B2-2FFE71B25F68.jpeg

• Haha 1

I’m glad they’ve sought to rectify this ball-drying nonsense. 
Every throw in which a player uses a towel to dry the ball takes around 25-30 seconds - often more. 
I’m quite sad and actually counted the time in a West Brom v Birmingham games once. 30 seconds minimum each throw in!! 

Then we get the ridiculous situations where Cornick gets booked after he hadn’t thrown it back in after 12 seconds!! 

These towels delay the game more than anything else in my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Every throw in which a player uses a towel to dry the ball takes around 25-30 seconds - often more. 
I’m quite sad and actually counted the time in a West Brom v Birmingham games once. 30 seconds minimum each throw in!! 

Then we get the ridiculous situations where Cornick gets booked after he hadn’t thrown it back in after 12 seconds!! 

You'll get the same delay by people trying to use their shirt to wipe water off the ball

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

To towel drying you can add: keepers falling on the ball and dry humping it for 30 seconds before getting up to clear it, substituted players wandering off at a snail's pace, players going down like they've been shot and rolling around clutching their face in order to get the game stopped, players taking over a minute to celebrate a goal, players clustering round a referee to argue every decision, goalkeepers wandering around their penalty area and kicking mud off their boots on the goal posts before every goal kick / not immediately getting into position when a penalty is awarded against them, players kicking the ball away when conceding a free kick (this used to be a mandatory booking, but for some reason it isn't anymore), players lining up to take a throw in or free kick or corner then handing the job over to someone else. Some people call it 'game management' and in small doses I guess it's part and parcel of the game. But the level of time wasting and cheating in football is completely out of hand. It's robbing spectators. I hate it. The sooner we have a timing system the better, as well as referees with the balls (and the back up from the FA) to start dishing out red cards to cheats the better.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Great news on the towels. Ridiculous amount of time wasting.

You really want to save on time wasting how about the keeper has to take the goal kick from the side the ball crossed the goal line. I'm fed up with the keeper putting down the ball one side, then taking it to the middle and then changing his mind again and taking the kick from the opposite side to where the ball went out of play. Save 2-3 minutes per game easily. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You really want to save on time wasting how about the keeper has to take the goal kick from the side the ball crossed the goal line. I'm fed up with the keeper putting down the ball one side, then taking it to the middle and then changing his mind again and taking the kick from the opposite side to where the ball went out of play. Save 2-3 minutes per game easily. 

Yep, put the ball down should be commitment to taking it from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Or you might see less teams relying on long throws! ??‍♂️

A shiny shirt won’t have the same effect as a towel.

Gains from a towel must be minimal anyway. I play football with a guy who has a long throw and very rarely has a wet muddy ball stopped him hitting the six yard box from the half way line. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Did we ever score from any throw after Kalas's protracted ball drying a couple of years back?

I think we might have scored one  but maybe that's wishful thinking. The bloke has the shortest long throw I've ever seen.

When I watched the city women v Liverpool the season before last, one of the Liverpool players had one of the best long throws I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The English Football League has banned players from using towels to dry match balls for throw-ins. Instead, the EFL will introduce a multi-ball system to all its competitions for the 2023-24 season to increase the time the ball is in play.

You’ve put a title to the thread and then not mentioned they’ve been banned. Have they or not?  Should the title read ‘towels banned to aid long throw ins’?

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Long throws haven’t been banned then……

It wouldn’t make difference if they were banned - I remember only one City goal scored from a long throw when Flint headed in against Cardiff. 

In my opinion long throws are pretty ineffective especially higher up the leagues you go.