IGNORED

EFL regulation changes.

Steve Watts

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wouldn’t make difference if they were banned - I remember only one City goal scored from a long throw when Flint headed in against Cardiff. 

In my opinion long throws are pretty ineffective especially higher up the leagues you go.

Fairly certain we scored from one last season? Not directly but from the flick on

edit: season before, Kalas was on throws for a while. 2:47 below

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wouldn’t make difference if they were banned - I remember only one City goal scored from a long throw when Flint headed in against Cardiff. 

In my opinion long throws are pretty ineffective especially higher up the leagues you go.

Didn't work out too badly for Stoke though... :cool2:

• Haha 1

There are a number of posters on here who are interested in statistics - I’d like to see how many long throws actually lead directly to a goal.

I can’t see that they’re particularly effective, particularly in the Championship and we rarely, if ever see them in the PL.………….:dunno:

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I seem to remember us scoring from one v Reading(?) on a night game a couple of seasons back. Kalas took it but I can`t remember who scored - Chris Martin maybe?

Yes. We then continued to employ it as a tactic from every attacking throw-in for what seemed like months afterwards 

• Like 1

If they they want to keep the ball in play more,maybe stop players acting like they have been shot and rolling around for half an hour every time another player goes within a country mile of them!*

*Stats may have been exaggerated. I am sure Davefevs will have more accurate data.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Wait til you see the stats on Corners... 

Goals are rare. 

Championship defenders are very adept at defending corners as they are with long throws - the difference is obviously the pace with which the  ball comes in.

Its no surprise that corners aren’t particularly effective in terms of goals scored and why we frequently see short corners as an alternative angle of getting the ball into the box.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There are a number of posters on here who are interested in statistics - I’d like to see how many long throws actually lead directly to a goal.

I can’t see that they’re particularly effective, particularly in the Championship and we rarely, if ever see them in the PL.………….:dunno:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37583230/how-rory-delap-long-throw-ins-ruffled-arsene-wenger-parka-showed-us-all-their-importance

"According to Stats Perform data, Delap directly assisted on five Premier League goals from throw-ins, and Stoke City as a whole have scored 24 goals from those situations. Since 2008-09, no other player has more than two direct throw-in assists, and no other club has scored more than 12 goals from throw-ins. In other words, Delap and Stoke were at least twice as effective at this aspect of the game when compared to any of their competitors.

Taylor charted all of Delap's throw-ins in his first four seasons with the club, and he found that Stoke scored 25 league goals from throws taken by the Irishman (even if they weren't considered direct assists). In the 2007-08 season in the Championship, a then-31-year-old Delap's throws led to goals eight times -- six of which came while the game was tied. According to Taylor's study, Delap's throws added about six points to Stoke's total, which ended up being the difference between automatic promotion and a spot in the playoffs."

:cool2:

1 minute ago, !james said:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37583230/how-rory-delap-long-throw-ins-ruffled-arsene-wenger-parka-showed-us-all-their-importance

"According to Stats Perform data, Delap directly assisted on five Premier League goals from throw-ins, and Stoke City as a whole have scored 24 goals from those situations. Since 2008-09, no other player has more than two direct throw-in assists, and no other club has scored more than 12 goals from throw-ins. In other words, Delap and Stoke were at least twice as effective at this aspect of the game when compared to any of their competitors.

Taylor charted all of Delap's throw-ins in his first four seasons with the club, and he found that Stoke scored 25 league goals from throws taken by the Irishman (even if they weren't considered direct assists). In the 2007-08 season in the Championship, a then-31-year-old Delap's throws led to goals eight times -- six of which came while the game was tied. According to Taylor's study, Delap's throws added about six points to Stoke's total, which ended up being the difference between automatic promotion and a spot in the playoffs."

:cool2:

That’s interesting to see.

However Delaps ability to throw the ball in with decent pace made him exceptionally rare.
I remember a Cardiff player (Andy?) Legg who also had long throw ability and every time we played them I’d fret whenever he took  throw in from around the 18yard box.

38 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Good job to ban towels - they should bring back a time limit on throw ins and how long it takes the keeper to kick the ball out and ban attacking players from blocking the kick.

Both would speed the game up and get the ball in play much quicker!

Goal kicks are the biggest time waster of all. When did they change it so keepers are allowed to take goal kicks from anywhere along the 6 yard box (and it is yards, metres have no place on a football pitch) instead of the side that the ball crossed the goal line. I'm fed up with keepers putting down the ball one side then moving it to the middle and then changing their mind again and moving to the other side. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Goal kicks are the biggest time waster of all. When did they change it so keepers are allowed to take goal kicks from anywhere along the 6 yard box (and it is yards, metres have no place on a football pitch) instead of the side that the ball crossed the goal line. I'm fed up with keepers putting down the ball one side then moving it to the middle and then changing their mind again and moving to the other side. 

It’s deliberate time wasting - Keepers don’t do it when they’re chasing the game. 

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

Good job to ban towels - they should bring back a time limit on throw ins and how long it takes the keeper to kick the ball out and ban attacking players from blocking the kick.

Both would speed the game up and get the ball in play much quicker!

There is a time limit 6 seconds or indirect free kick should be given if longer. It's laughable what refs allow. I don't understand why the crowd don't start chanting the time in seconds to remind the ref and the fourth official can then report the ref for not invoking the rules when it's not adhered to. Fat chance of that happening.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

You’ve put a title to the thread and then not mentioned they’ve been banned. Have they or not?  Should the title read ‘towels banned to aid long throw ins’?

TBH it was a poor title choice, mods can you retitle please 

12 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

There is a time limit 6 seconds or indirect free kick should be given if longer. It's laughable what refs allow. I don't understand why the crowd don't start chanting the time in seconds to remind the ref and the fourth official can then report the ref for not invoking the rules when it's not adhered to. Fat chance of that happening.

Nope, this was changed to the refs discretion. The crowd chanting before the rule was changed was cringe enough, after the rule changed (which I heard a few times last season) adds ignorance.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Nope, this was changed to the refs discretion. The crowd chanting before the rule was changed was cringe enough, after the rule changed (which I heard a few times last season) adds ignorance.

I was unsure on this one so I checked.

LAWS OF THE GAME & FA RULES

LAW 12: FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

IFAB Laws of the Game 2023-24

2. Indirect free kicks

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

2. Indirect free kicks

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

When was the last time you saw a referee give an indirect free kick? There was a time they'd give them inside the penalty area. 

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

2. Indirect free kicks

I've got myself all kinds of confused.

Danbury red said and you made in bold - "how long it takes the keeper to kick the ball out."

You seem to be quoting a rule about indirect free kicks, is the keeper kicking from hands considered indirect free kick?

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yet many teams use it as a very effective weapon.

Stoke caused havoc to Prem defenses when they first went up & cup shocks are often down to this type of set play.

I think the higher up the leagues you go, the less you see of them & then teams aren't used to dealing with it when they come up against it.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

I've got myself all kinds of confused.

Danbury red said and you made in bold - "how long it takes the keeper to kick the ball out."

You seem to be quoting a rule about indirect free kicks, is the keeper kicking from hands considered indirect free kick?

I didn't make it that clear did I?Law 12 pertains to Fouls and Misconduct it then lists the "punishment" to be applied ie. 1 is direct free kicks 2 is indirect free kicks. Under these sections it then lists all the conditions that can be punished. So basically indirect free kick is the punishment for goalkeeper having ball in hand for more than 6 seconds after  first touch with arm or hand.

Trust that makes it clearer, if not go to https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules

• Like 1

On 25/06/2023 at 17:32, Robbored said:

That’s interesting to see.

However Delaps ability to throw the ball in with decent pace made him exceptionally rare.
I remember a Cardiff player (Andy?) Legg who also had long throw ability and every time we played them I’d fret whenever he took  throw in from around the 18yard box.

You’ve just said you don’t find them effective, so why would you fret?

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

Yeah, the six second rule definitely still exists, so no ignorance here. Referees may well have been told to be more lenient (that's the only explanation really), but the laws have definitely never been changed to "referee's discretion".

For clarification to what has been previously posted:

Screenshot_20230626-190726-176.png

As you can probably tell, this (along with foul throws) is my pet hate.

• Like 1