IGNORED

Old TV you probably forgot about

Antman

26 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Early Gerry Anderson. Pretty sure they would have originally been B&W but these clips have been colourised.

I used to drive my mum mad by turning her clylindrical wicker stools on their side and pretending to 'fly' them like the hover bikes from Fireball XL5, completely knackered them :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

5 hours ago, spudski said:

A tune that stuck in my head for years...brings back fond memories ?

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Was just thinking exactly the same. Where did all that time go.

My sister used to love this programme: I had absolutely no interest at all, but used to love the theme tune, and still do.

I used to watch the opening sequence, solely because of the theme tune, and would then leave the room to do my homework or go out.

Assuming we are all roughly the same age, you may remember another catchy little song, Rupert, about Rupert Bear.

They were both sung by the Irish singer Jackie Lee, and used to be played regularly on Ed 'Stewpot's Junior Choice.

After a very random search, I found this version shown on the Bob Monkhouse Show. 

I'm sure many of you think of Bob Monkhouse as a rather cheesy presenter, but I saw him live many years ago at The Hippodrome. He was hilarious and surprisingly bawdy, risqué and often extremely crude, bordering on vulgar. A wonderful night.

He, of course, quipped during the show: 'When I was young and told people I wanted to be a comedian when I grow up, people used to laugh at me. They're not laughing at me now.'

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My sister used to love this programme: I had absolutely no interest at all, but used to love the theme tune, and still do.

I used to watch the opening sequence, solely because of the theme tune, and would then leave the room to do my homework or go out.

Assuming we are all roughly the same age, you may remember another catchy little song, Rupert, about Rupert Bear.

They were both sung by the Irish singer Jackie Lee, and used to be played regularly on Ed 'Stewpot's Junior Choice.

After a very random search, I found this version shown on the Bob Monkhouse Show. 

I'm sure many of you think of Bob Monkhouse as a rather cheesy presenter, but I saw him live many years ago at The Hippodrome. He was hilarious and surprisingly bawdy, risqué and often extremely crude, bordering on vulgar. A wonderful night.

He, of course, quipped during the show: 'When I was young and told people I wanted to be a comedian when I grow up, people used to laugh at me. They're not laughing at me now.'

Pretty much the same as me...never watched the programme, but loved the theme tune. I also remember the Rupert Bear theme tune. :laugh: 

When I think back to children's TV programmes, so many had catchy theme tunes that I can still remember. 

Great memories. 

Another that I used to watch in the 70s as a kid.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I too don't have any memory of the White Horses TV content, just the theme tune. It was just so carefree and innocent and totally beautiful to me for some reason. Yes I remember Rupert the Bear, but if we are talking about songs rather than TV then it was the Puff The Magic Dragon song that got to me, still makes me cry now !

I remember Bob Monkhouse, always thought he was a bit 'smarmy' so I find it amusing and somewhat reassuring he had another side to him, I think I would have liked to have seen him.

The Banana Splits TV show was another one, I loved the bit in the show that had the Witchy-Poo character, Puffin stuff or something like that? I'm really stretching the memory banks now!

• Like 1

My mum said I used to insist on watching this and then hide behind the sofa, I guess we were all weird as kids. :)

I don't know what it was for sure that I didn't want to see, but I have a phobia of dolls, particular their faces and these characters look quite doll like.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

These threads are never complete without mentioning HR PuffnStuff

Or Banana Splits which brought so many other series with it.

That's it, that's it what I mentioned! Wow I haven't seen this in years, and certainly never in colour!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think this was shown every summer of my childhood

I am pretty sure that Portishead sampled part of the theme music for Glory Box, it definitely has the same feel.

Oh yes, that and Double Deckers and then an Elvis film. School holidays for those wet Summer days, otherwise I was out on my bike and climbing trees, playing football etc ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think this was shown every summer of my childhood

I am pretty sure that Portishead sampled part of the theme music for Glory Box, it definitely has the same feel.

Indeed it was...sampled and repeated throughout the song.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Oh yes, that and Double Deckers and then an Elvis film. School holidays for those wet Summer days, otherwise I was out on my bike and climbing trees, playing football etc ?

oh god, i'd forgotten about the Double Deckers. don't know why but even at an early age i was irritated by those kids.

• Like 1