IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

I think Ciaran Clark, depending on his fitness & wage demands, would be an outstanding signing for a season or 2.

Only problem I see is he is a lefty and we have Atkinson coming back around Xmas time and also Naismith and Roberts who can play left side. Plus I think one of the young lads is also a left footer. 

22 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Only problem I see is he is a lefty and we have Atkinson coming back around Xmas time and also Naismith and Roberts who can play left side. Plus I think one of the young lads is also a left footer. 

Yeh you are correct on that one, forgot that he was a left-sided defender, probably not where we would need any further cover.

25 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

But also means Vyner and Dickie can play right.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

After seeing Araoye this pre-season. We certainly have a potential first teamer looking to integrate into the league squad now.

Maybe that's had an impact over the decision making around Kalas and what we are willing to offer him?

He looked very comfortable against lower league opposition in pre-season friendlies, it'll be interesting to see how he copes at Championship level. Hopefully we'll find out this season, could be a hell of a player.

I'm a big Kalas fan, but with this lad and Atkinson on the left and Vyner and Dickie on the right, we'd be covered.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

After seeing Araoye this pre-season. We certainly have a potential first teamer looking to integrate into the league squad now.

Maybe that's had an impact over the decision making around Kalas and what we are willing to offer him?

I think they’re separate.

Kalas had a period of time to accept our offer, that has now expired & we have moved on.

Araoye has had some opportunities pre season & appears to be ahead of Knight-Level & Wood in the pecking order.

Had Kalas accepted the terms on offer I think he’d be in the squad tomorrow but there’s a real possibility that this lad & Leeson will both be instead.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

He looked very comfortable against lower league opposition in pre-season friendlies, it'll be interesting to see how he copes at Championship level. Hopefully we'll find out this season, could be a hell of a player.

I'm a big Kalas fan, but with this lad and Atkinson on the left and Vyner and Dickie on the right, we'd be covered.

I too am a big fan of Kalas, and think you're absolutely right - we are covered in that position now, especially after the re-emergence of Vyner last season.

Vyners form last season I think is a big reason why Nige is quite happy to let Kalas go without breaking the wage structure. Had Vyner not have been so good last season, then maybe we may have given a bit with regards to Kalas' wages.

Good luck to him moving forward, I personally think that he may bide his time with regards to signing for a new club, even if that means waiting for September to sign as a free agent after the window closes. Let's be fair, if you're still looking for a centre back after it's shut, he'd be a great signing. That's where he'll be able to demand a higher wage/signing on fee as well.

3 hours ago, Taz said:

Good luck to him moving forward, I personally think that he may bide his time with regards to signing for a new club, even if that means waiting for September to sign as a free agent after the window closes. Let's be fair, if you're still looking for a centre back after it's shut, he'd be a great signing. That's where he'll be able to demand a higher wage/signing on fee as well.

Is Kalas not already a free agent?

I believe he has been out of contract since 30 June, so is presumably free to sign for whichever team he wishes.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I believe he has been out of contract since 30 June, so is presumably free to sign for whichever team he wishes.

That's correct as far as we know and it's a big surprise that he hasn't signed for someone else.  At 30 years of age, he needs to maximise the last few years of his income especially with his liking for fast expensive cars.

The thing is that he is settled in Bristol and his partner comes from Bristol, so maybe if he can't find another suiter, he might come to an agreement with BCFC on realistic terms .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He is, and can sign for anybody tomorrow.

What I'm saying is, it's clear he isn't in any rush (assuming something hasn't already been arranged), and maybe, if he is wanting a bigger wedge still, he could wait around and hedge his bets until after the window has closed. Remember when we signed Ashley Williams? Signed as a free agent after the window closed. 

If he waits until then, he may be able to command a bigger contract as potential suitors may well be in a similar position we were then with Williams - desperate for a centre back with a wealth of experience. 

He may have something lined up and agreed already, but it is surprising that we're a day before the start of the season and he has no club. Presumably clubs are delaying because of the injury last season.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Even if he signed for someone tomorrow is he likely to play for another 4-6 weeks? I've no doubt he's kept up a decent level of fitness through a personal programme but how match sharp can he be both physically and mentally having been away from football for so long.?

It's become a strange one for sure. Unless he signs for someone early next week I.e. had something lined up for a while, then why has he turned our offer down and left himself exposed, with no bargaining position, for so long? 

I guess he's relying on the fact he's an international, and that someone will pick up the tab for him at some point. 

He's found himself in a position that's far from ideal though. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Perhaps he's retired and just not told anyone. Would be a very Kalas thing to do.

The unbearable lightness of being a modern day footballer. 

What would Milan Kundera (RIP) make of that, I wonder. 

I actually meant to say to you when we last caught up (of course we got sidetracked by football), have you read any of his stuff? Apart from the obvious, because I started “Immortality” earlier this year, couldn’t get on with it, didn’t finish it.

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I actually meant to say to you when we last caught up (of course we got sidetracked by football), have you read any of his stuff? Apart from the obvious, because I started “Immortality” earlier this year, couldn’t get on with it, didn’t finish it.

No. Unbearable lightness has been sat on the shelf for 30 years - unfinished! ?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's become a strange one for sure. Unless he signs for someone early next week I.e. had something lined up for a while, then why has he turned our offer down and left himself exposed, with no bargaining position, for so long? 

I guess he's relying on the fact he's an international, and that someone will pick up the tab for him at some point. 

He's found himself in a position that's far from ideal though. 

Yeah - can’t help feeling he may have gambled on a more suitable offer coming along and potentially miscalculated. 

Interesting.It suggests that he is not in negotiations with anyone else, certainly not in this league, as you would have thought he would have been at their game.

The comment was made that maybe he is considering retirement further up the thread. I think that may be a possibility, maybe the last 18 months of almost constant injuries has put that thought in his head,which would be understandable. Maybe the desire to play and risk further damage to his body is no longer there.

As we all know Tomas is very much his own man and not your typical footballer. He may have decided to bring forward his plans post football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Interesting.It suggests that he is not in negotiations with anyone else, certainly not in this league, as you would have thought he would have been at their game.

The comment was made that maybe he is considering retirement further up the thread. I think that may be a possibility, maybe the last 18 months of almost constant injuries has put that thought in his head,which would be understandable. Maybe the desire to play and risk further damage to his body is no longer there.

As we all know Tomas is very much his own man and not your typical footballer. He may have decided to bring forward his plans post football. 

True, it might also be the case that I believe he lives in Long Ashton and fancied walking down to see a game at a club he played at for 4 years though of course.

• Like 1

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

True, it might also be the case that I believe he lives in Long Ashton and fancied walking down to see a game at a club he played at for 4 years though of course.

Yes, it could be as simple as that, I agree.

I was simply pontificating with absolutely no knowledge of what is or is not happening.

If he does want to continue playing then I am a little surprised that he has not signed somewhere else, but of course he may not have had any suitable offers. 

Given that we did offer a new contract some time back which he clearly did not find agreeable, and that is entirely his right, I would have thought he would have done a pre-season somewhere, even with a clear understanding that there would be no contract offer.

I would have thought he would have enough contacts in the game to arrange that whilst waiting for his next opportunity.

I would imagine, for example,he could have spent pre-season with Hibs or Charlton. That type of thing is not that uncommon.

16 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Walking back to Long Ashton Park and ride, Kalas was walking behind us with his girlfriend. 

He was at the game, so who knows what will happen next week?

I saw him coming out of the Lansdown stand as I was leaving. Seemed like a paying customer rather than in the Heineken lounge or anything. Very odd. 

• Like 1