IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

4 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

?.

Bit confused as the original question was in regards to payments for HNM...

Some talk from "John" down the Barley Mow when he signed saying that we had signed him on behalf of Chelsea because they were under a transfer embargo at the time. They were going to "buy" him from us after it was lifted.

"John" was clearly issed as a newt when he said it....

11 minutes ago, Taz said:

Some talk from "John" down the Barley Mow when he signed saying that we had signed him on behalf of Chelsea because they were under a transfer embargo at the time. They were going to "buy" him from us after it was lifted.

"John" was clearly issed as a newt when he said it....

Chelsea done us over, mate - gonna sign Kalas back for nowt on 1st August!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, headhunter said:

You would have thought by now that if he were that good another club would have made an offer at the very least in line with ours.

Bottom line is none of us really know, do we?

He could have been offered a deal elsewhere that was so similar in value to ours that he’s weighing up having to move location.

We could have withdrawn our offer when we reported back for training & he didn’t show. We are under absolutely no obligation to publicise this fact whilst he remains on our payroll.

He could have indicated he’ll sign a new deal with us but is banking the one month in lieu of his last contract at a higher pay rate first (this seems unlikely).

He might well not have any offers at all at present.

I can’t see this dragging on into the new season & would expect Pearson to be asked about it & provide clarification in the press conference ahead of the Preston game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bottom line is none of us really know, do we?

He could have been offered a deal elsewhere that was so similar in value to ours that he’s weighing up having to move location.

We could have withdrawn our offer when we reported back for training & he didn’t show. We are under absolutely no obligation to publicise this fact whilst he remains on our payroll.

He could have indicated he’ll sign a new deal with us but is banking the one month in lieu of his last contract at a higher pay rate first (this seems unlikely).

He might well not have any offers at all at present.

I can’t see this dragging on into the new season & would expect Pearson to be asked about it & provide clarification in the press conference ahead of the Preston game.

You're right.

He's "off" the payroll as of 31 July?

Some have said about Pearson applying double standards on the "on the bus" policy in relation to how Kalas is being treated compared with HNM but Kalas is a better defender when fit than HNM is a midfielder and that might explain it. 

If Kalas does end up staying I don't care how good his unattached training regime is he won't be up to Championship fitness levels

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, headhunter said:

You're right.

He's "off" the payroll as of 31 July?

Some have said about Pearson applying double standards on the "on the bus" policy in relation to how Kalas is being treated compared with HNM but Kalas is a better defender when fit than HNM is a midfielder and that might explain it. 

If Kalas does end up staying I don't care how good his unattached training regime is he won't be up to Championship fitness levels

According to Dave, yes.

Hard to claim that double standards apply here when Kalas’ offer is apparently nearer to 50% of what he’s currently on & HNM has presumably been offered his existing terms again (no way would we get compensation otherwise). Chalk & cheese.

Agree, he wouldn’t be anywhere near the level of fitness of those who have done the testing & been out in Austria but this could of course all be totally academic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, headhunter said:

You would have thought by now that if he were that good another club would have made an offer at the very least in line with ours.

Kalas is 30 so away move he makes now could well be the final of his career. Therefore there may be other offers out there , I agree but any move at this stage has to be right. Kalas had a hard time last season as we know so he has to ensure that any offer has due consideration as well as look ? at himself. 
Pearson made a similar call with Baker. 

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He is out of contract now, yeah ? If so ,in that case why are we bothered with him, he's off the pay roll, he'll have to come cap in hand to us if no one signs him .

Tuesday.

I guess we’re “bothered with him” because at present we haven’t replaced him, as we have lost 4 other centre backs in Baker, Klose, Moore & Low from the wage bill as well & only brought in the one in Rob Dickie.

Until he signs for someone else or we recruit another CB he will remain under consideration.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tuesday.

I guess we’re “bothered with him” because at present we haven’t replaced him, as we have lost 4 other centre backs in Baker, Klose, Moore & Low from the wage bill as well & only brought in the one in Rob Dickie.

Until he signs for someone else or we recruit another CB he will remain under consideration.

If he was at another club he would be potentially a good signing as a free agent I would have thought. 
We would just want to be sure of his fitness and the terms he wanted. 
It does however look like we have moved on.

We haven’t directly replaced him but have two young talented players coming through . 

Edited by Major Isewater

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tuesday.

He is out of contract now, all we are responsible for is his severance payment until 31st. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is out of contract now, all we are responsible for is his severance payment until 31st. 

Yep, I really meant when is he going to stop having any income.

I have to say whatever he intends to do I’m surprised both him & HNM haven’t announced their next move this close to the new season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have to say whatever he intends to do I’m surprised both him & HNM haven’t announced their next move this close to the new season.

He may have other income but if not I'm sure he can get by for a month or two. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Tuesday.

I suspect there are two factors at play in terms of recruiting a CB:

1) whether or not we sold Scott would shape what type of CB we could afford so we may be waiting for that situation to resolve before doing the rest of our transfer business.

2) I wonder if Araoye’s pre-season has given Pearson and the recruitment team a question to answer about whether bringing in a CB is the right way to replace Kalas at this point in time or whether we need to maintain a pathway for him to get to the first team sooner than we had maybe planned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, I know, more clarifying for benefit of others.

Re Han, some cryptic message on Instagram that he might have a club lined up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I know, more clarifying for benefit of others.

Re Han, some cryptic message on Instagram that he might have a club lined up.

You'd have to assume that Han has options. As you said recently, surprised that he's left it this late (and most European leagues start as early as we do this year). But I guess its just about weighing options.

I suppose for Tomas the options may be a little more difficult - whether any offers he has match City's and are worth uprooting for. 

All speculation of course!

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

You'd have to assume that Han has options. As you said recently, surprised that he's left it this late (and most European leagues start as early as we do this year). But I guess its just about weighing options.

I suppose for Tomas the options may be a little more difficult - whether any offers he has match City's and are worth uprooting for. 

All speculation of course!

I would suggest he hasn't. I would be surprised if the offer City made to him in January remains on the table. If it does, what if he rocks up to the HPC on Monday for the first time this summer and says OK chaps I've nothing else so I have signed would Nigel welcome him back into the group? As a footballer it has to be a yes but it's not a good look and he'll be way behind the others on match fitness so unlikely to be available until after the first international break.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fenerbahce being mentioned on social media..

Who have their first game in 2 weeks! Leaving it late.

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I would suggest he hasn't. I would be surprised if the offer City made to him in January remains on the table. If it does, what if he rocks up to the HPC on Monday for the first time this summer and says OK chaps I've nothing else so I have signed would Nigel welcome him back into the group? As a footballer it has to be a yes but it's not a good look and he'll be way behind the others on match fitness so unlikely to be available until after the first international break.

That sounds very plausible. I guess we none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'd be very very surprised now if we saw him again. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Tuesday.

It’s true that we’ve “lost” Baker, Klose, Moore and Low from the wage bill but we haven’t really lost them from first team contention due to injury (Baker), loss of form (Klose) and not being Championship standard (Moore and Low). Even Kalas, who has the ability, hasn’t been in contention for the first team for ages due to injury. I agree that another central defender would be useful but Haydon Roberts has played there for Derby, as has Ross McCrorie for Aberdeen. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Who have their first game in 2 weeks! Leaving it late.

That sounds very plausible. I guess we none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'd be very very surprised now if we saw him again. 

100% re Massengo, but France, Spain & Germany all also start relatively early, so wherever he goes he seems a bit tardy.

My hunch too re TK but as Ashley Williams, Mariappa & Klose have all showed we love signing a free agent CB..

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100% re Massengo, but France, Spain & Germany all also start relatively early, so wherever he goes he seems a bit tardy.

My hunch too re TK but as Ashley Williams, Mariappa & Klose have all showed we love signing a free agent CB..

And Italy! Must admit my first thought when @Davefevs mentioned this a few days ago was that we always start 3-4 weeks earlier than everywhere else. But not this season - Euros I imagine?

I’d forgotten those: evidence we love doing it, but not a great advert for doing it again! Klose was the real disappointment there. I thought he was so so good the season before. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It’s true that we’ve “lost” Baker, Klose, Moore and Low from the wage bill but we haven’t really lost them from first team contention due to injury (Baker), loss of form (Klose) and not being Championship standard (Moore and Low). Even Kalas, who has the ability, hasn’t been in contention for the first team for ages due to injury. I agree that another central defender would be useful but Haydon Roberts has played there for Derby, as has Ross McCrorie for Aberdeen. 

Ideally my view and finances or worries or a bloated squad can get in the way.

Baker, Kalas we think and Klose gone (Moore and Low I can discount as not in first team contention). 

Dickie in.

Feels one light to me, especially as injuries and suspensions occur over a season. As we know Atkinson is out for a few months still.

We could use the young players in thst position as a combination for 4th CB but I'm unsure. Naismith and Roberts can play it, maybe even McCrorie and to a lesser extent Tanner and Pring but this is very much shoe-horning in some cases.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We could use the young players in thst position as a combination for 4th CB but I'm unsure. Naismith and Roberts can play it, maybe even McCrorie and to a lesser extent Tanner and Pring but this is very much shoe-horning in some cases.

FWIW the three players you mention have all played a lot at CB for it not to be too much of a worry if they had to play there.  Roberts is still young, so the physicality of the Champ may be something to consider, but McCrorie and Naismith are nothing to worry about positionally.  The issue with those two is 1) they are carrying knocks and 2) their versatility (as someone else - Silvio or Italian Dave???) means they are / might be being earmarked to play elsewhere.  In McCrorie’s case at RB, but we have Tanner.  Leeson is really like say OTC last season.  Naismith may be being earmarked for midfield, but we have enough there.

The real concern is if McCrorie and Naismith are worse that minor.  I see or hear nothing on the rumour mill to suggest otherwise…not that you can take that as fact.

The other consideration in thinking we are “one-short” is what do you bring in?

• a bona fide first teamer that might bloat the squad when everyone is fit
  • a project that might block Araoye

I hope they are both back in contention soon, even tomorrow, and we can relax about the options.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wasn't he rumoured to be off to Coventry with the other 2 or have I imagined that?

Great business for them if it were true.

Signed 2 defenders in the last 24 hours & have brought 5 in altogether.

Highly unlikely that he ends up there now, I’d have thought.

• Like 1