IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You just know it will all tick for them at Cov.

If it does work for Cov (on the basis he goes there) then good luck to them. But we tried it with those three, it didn't work and was costly. It'll cost them financially too. 

I think they'll be pretty fortunate if it does come off, but we've moved on. I like where we are now and would rather be us than them. 

COYR!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BS3City said:

If it does work for Cov (on the basis he goes there) then good luck to them. But we tried it with those three, it didn't work and was costly. It'll cost them financially too. 

I think they'll be pretty fortunate if it does come off, but we've moved on. I like where we are now and would rather be us than them. 

COYR!!! 

Difference is we paid somewhere between 12-14 million for the 3 of them

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BS3City said:

COYR!!! 

I admire your loyalty and optimism….but 5th v 14th, I know where I’d rather be! 

And, yes, I know that’s before all the summer business but it’s still the last true way of measuring it. And for me the jury is still out on our summer business. 

And back when we had all three fit and playing, we were achieving good top half too.

I think Palmer was the one never properly worked out here, but he’s found his role, and they’re playing to his strengths at Coventry. He’s doing well there. Dasilva I think we saw tail end of last season will always do a decent job. And Kalas is just a great defender - an area of weakness for Coventry last season. If Kalas went there, and they can keep them all fit, then I think they’d do a good job.

And, of course, they won’t cost anything like they cost us. 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And, yes, I know that’s before all the summer business but it’s still the last true way of measuring it. And for me the jury is still out on our summer business. 

And back when we had all three fit and playing, we were achieving good top half too.

I think Palmer was the one never properly worked out here, but he’s found his role, and they’re playing to his strengths at Coventry. He’s doing well there. Dasilva I think we saw tail end of last season will always do a decent job. And Kalas is just a great defender - an area of weakness for Coventry last season. If Kalas went there, and they can keep them all fit, then I think they’d do a good job.

All spot on ID, but I'd still rather be us! Red for life!

COYR!!! 

• Robin 2

Thing about Palmer is, and I don't really rate him that highly but I think he's one of those who requires a specific, perhaps a bit of tailored shape to get the best.

Palmer behind Weimann and Afobe until the sad injury of the latter was really quite promising. I think Coventry at times with the back 3, with the potential for a freeish midfield role can get more out of him it they go with a specific setup.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

All of this is completely fair comment, but we cannot afford to keep looking back. We have to deal with the here and now. I don't see much support on here for offering long contracts to Dasilva or Kalas, and some people were offering Palmer a lift to anywhere. 

We would all like to think that the club has learned something from some of these expensive investments, maybe labelling them as mistakes would be overstating it. 

FWIW, I've always thought Kalas was too immobile, and had to expend more effort throwing himself into last-ditch blocks than he might have needed to because he didn't read, or couldn't get to a threat early enough. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

All of this is completely fair comment, but we cannot afford to keep looking back. We have to deal with the here and now. I don't see much support on here for offering long contracts to Dasilva or Kalas, and some people were offering Palmer a lift to anywhere. 

We would all like to think that the club has learned something from some of these expensive investments, maybe labelling them as mistakes would be overstating it. 

FWIW, I've always thought Kalas was too immobile, and had to expend more effort throwing himself into last-ditch blocks than he might have needed to because he didn't read, or couldn't get to a threat early enough. 

Yep, for sure, and certainly wasn’t intended to be about looking back…more about looking forward to them potentially joining up again at Coventry, and being a force to be reckoned with there.

Fair points about Kalas. I’ll still miss him though - more than the other two. And (again without labouring the past) he’s been part of two Championship promotion campaigns already. I wouldn’t be at all surprised, if he does go to Coventry, that he does it again and we prove to be the exception to that impressive record. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

It’s funny how we as fans see things.  I thought Kalas mobility and pace (didn’t Pring say he was quickest at club) acted as an insurance policy at the back for us.  Thought he was the best defender at the club & personally always felt more reassured when he was in the team than not.  His performance v Man City was superb after a lengthy time out & demonstrated his ability.  I agree he could have read the game better but every player has a flaw &  that’s why he’s playing for us and not in the prem.

Kalas is the past and we move forward and we need to add another CB this window.  Personally, would have been delighted to keep Kalas on a reduced wage but some club will get a top player.  

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

It’s funny how we as fans see things.  I thought Kalas mobility and pace (didn’t Pring say he was quickest at club) acted as an insurance policy at the back for us.  Thought he was the best defender at the club & personally always felt more reassured when he was in the team than not.  His performance v Man City was superb after a lengthy time out & demonstrated his ability.  I agree he could have read the game better but every player has a flaw &  that’s why he’s playing for us and not in the prem.

Kalas is the past and we move forward and we need to add another CB this window.  Personally, would have been delighted to keep Kalas on a reduced wage but some club will get a top player.  

Agreed.

Its just typical reaction from supporters who don't like players turning down a contract with us, suddenly players of the calibre of Kalas and Dasilva are crap.

Both are top class for this division and Coventry (if thats where Kalas ends up) have got themselves a couple of bargains with Palmer not too far behind in the right set up.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Agree with every word.

@Merrick's Marvels & I were discussing this the other week, he reckoned if we wanted to be a top six side then Kalas was exactly the sort of player we needed to keep.

My view was he was too injury prone over the last year to offer him any more than we had & if that meant (as appears to have happened) that he’s going to get more money elsewhere, that’s life.

Both points of view are equally valid.

I would also say those reckoning he was a waste of money appear to be totally ignoring the market when we signed him, one where you got £20m for Webster.

He also featured well over 100 times for us & for me was consistently excellent, to even put him in the same sentence as Kasey Palmer, who only started 28 games for us & who contributed virtually nothing is just lazy & ridiculous.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I wouldn’t say top class in this division. Both average to fairly good in my opinion.
Kalas was a waste of money and wages at a time when we were pissing money down the drain under Johnson and Ashtons tenure. The reported 8 million was crazy money to spend on a centre back who was never gonna  break through into Chelseas 1st team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with every word.

@Merrick's Marvels & I were discussing this the other week, he reckoned if we wanted to be a top six side then Kalas was exactly the sort of player we needed to keep.

My view was he was too injury prone over the last year to offer him any more than we had & if that meant (as appears to have happened) that he’s going to get more money elsewhere, that’s life.

Both points of view are equally valid.

I would also say those reckoning he was a waste of money appear to be totally ignoring the market when we signed him, one where you got £20m for Webster.

He also featured well over 100 times for us & for me was consistently excellent, to even put him in the same sentence as Kasey Palmer, who only started 28 games for us & who contributed virtually nothing is just lazy & ridiculous.

What I find strange is that from memory not 1 fan at the time of spending £8m for Kalas after an outstanding loan said the fee was a waste of money! 

Life goes on but tend to agree with your point but if he stays fit then what a player someone will get. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Would withdraw our offer and move on.

He's already a week plus behind on fitness.

Thanks Thomas and goodbye 

I suspect we already have. (No ITK)

18 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

What I find strange is that from memory not 1 fan at the time of spending £8m for Kalas after an outstanding loan said the fee was a waste of money! 

Life goes on but tend to agree with your point but if he stays fit then what a player someone will get. 

Cough cough.  I thought we paid OTT because we got such a good deal on Dasilva.  With Dasilva we got an option to buy.  We didn’t with Tomas, and Chelsea clawed a bit back as a result.  £5-6m for Tomas, yep…£8m, just a bit too much.  Was my view at the time.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Gotta love City fans sometimes! Here’s a player who’s got two Championship promotions under his belt, plus another play off season, who’s played 28 times at full international level for a decent national team…….but who’s apparently not good enough for Bristol City and a waste of money.

I know football is all about opinions, but sometimes there are some relevant facts in there too. 

I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s not a good player, just that we didn’t get good value considering the fee and wages

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WarksRobin said:

I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s not a good player, just that we didn’t get good value considering the fee and wages

“Good” is a bit vague. My post was in response to a post that specifically talked about him being ‘not top class in this division’ and ‘’average to fairly good’. What I’m suggesting is that his record in this division and internationally IS both top class and a lot more than just “average”.

And, again, the point of my post, and the one I was responding to, wasn’t about whether it’s turned out to have been good value. It was about what we paid at the time we bought him. £8m was not ‘crazy money’ for someone with his track record and at the time when, as others have pointed out, the likes of Webster sold for £20m. £8m was what you paid for a Championship defender of that stature at the time. Pretty much every City fan was delighted when we sealed that deal. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Gotta love City fans sometimes! Here’s a player who’s got two Championship promotions under his belt, plus another play off season, who’s played 28 times at full international level for a decent national team…….but who’s apparently not good enough for Bristol City and a waste of money.

I know football is all about opinions, but sometimes there are some relevant facts in there too. 

I never said he wasn’t good enough, but a waste of money yes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

I never said he wasn’t good enough, but a waste of money yes.

Im not sure he was ever going to make the difference between us getting up and not,,  he might have when he was at fulham or boro, but we just havent been good enough at every level to make a sustained charge for the top 6.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunningdalered said:

I broadly agree with this. It may never have been TK’s strength, meaning we may have signed the wrong player, but for the money, think we needed someone who could organise the defence effectively (most of whom were younger/cheaper/less experienced/not particularly vocal). Think TK alongside a strong organiser would have been great, given his ability to defend, particularly one on one, albeit needed help with starting position. For £8m we maybe went after the wrong type of defender.
All that said, think he was our best defender for a season or few, just maybe not quite what we most needed on a not unlimited budget. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I would of preferred a small minority of city fans.

next time hey lolz 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

If Kalas moves to Coventry because he's been offered a better deal than we are prepared to then so be it and good luck to him. Players move on and some do well when they do, although in the last 20/30 years I suspect most who have moved on from City haven't fared so well. I'll just wait to see what his next chapter will be. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I wouldnt agree, he was good for us, much better then most the players around him

I should hope so given that he cost somewhere between 4 & 8 times more than most of them!!

I’m terms of the value for money that we have got out of players Kalas would be very near the bottom of the list in my opinion.

• Like 1

Pearson is certainly shuffling the pack.

Let's hope he has a few more aces up his sleeve.

He will hopefully bring in a few more diamonds to our club, who will capture the hearts of expectant and demanding supporters.

Pearson doesn't appear to be a shirker or joker, If something needs to be done, he does it or if something need to be said, he calls a spade a spade.

Not many people can trump that !

( Let's not forget: Last year, he even got us a King)

Edited by Bazooka Joe

6 hours ago, milo1111 said:

My point was more a dig at the people that signed them (and in the case of palmer barely used him). 

we simply shouldn’t of been paying those sorts of fees and wages IMO. It was reckless and nearly cost us big time 

I get what you mean but hadn't we just made decent money off of Flint and Kodja? 

Palmer I think most were happy about signing but it didn't turn out well. 

Dasilva I think would have been class for us buy had a big set back with a nasty injury but always done well when called upon.

Kalas as stated has been class throughout and had 1 injury hit season.

My gripe isn't at the signing of these but at the likes of wasting money on people like engval. I suppose also the Palmer deal was odd when we had pato and just signed Smodics but like I say I think majority of people thought what a good signing it was. 

If covid hadn't killed the market we would have probably recouped the majority of the money as well. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I get what you mean but hadn't we just made decent money off of Flint and Kodja? 

Palmer I think most were happy about signing but it didn't turn out well. 

Dasilva I think would have been class for us buy had a big set back with a nasty injury but always done well when called upon.

Kalas as stated has been class throughout and had 1 injury hit season.

My gripe isn't at the signing of these but at the likes of wasting money on people like engval. I suppose also the Palmer deal was odd when we had pato and just signed Smodics but like I say I think majority of people thought what a good signing it was. 

If covid hadn't killed the market we would have probably recouped the majority of the money as well. 

Some good points .  The palmer deal was an utter joke though as Johnson had barely used him when he was on loan. He clearly had reservations about him so for Ashton to go ahead and pay 4m (iirc) for him and over 20k a week in wages really beggars belief.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

I should hope so given that he cost somewhere between 4 & 8 times more than most of them!!

I’m terms of the value for money that we have got out of players Kalas would be very near the bottom of the list in my opinion.

Agreed, it didnt matter if we signed a top defender for 8 million if we were also signing marley watkins and 50 others who probably werent up to it!

the finances for the kalas signing were stupid, 2 million a year losses in the accounts plus the salary would only have been worth it if we got promoted, and for most if not all of his time weve barely been in the top half of the table.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed, it didnt matter if we signed a top defender for 8 million if we were also signing marley watkins and 50 others who probably werent up to it!

the finances for the kalas signing were stupid, 2 million a year losses in the accounts plus the salary would only have been worth it if we got promoted, and for most if not all of his time weve barely been in the top half of the table.

On the contrary. Across the whole of his 5 seasons with us we've been in the top half more often that not (130 out of 230 match days). 

And if you take out the last two seasons, when he was injured for long spells, then we've been in the top half for a good 90% of the time he's been with us (112 out of 138 match days).

• Like 4
  • Flames 1