IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

Still crossing fingers he sticks around. The books are balanced with our reduced wage bill and the £10+m we got for Antoine (plus another potential outgoing I don’t want to think about), offer him a respectable amount and let’s keep a promotion quality player in our ranks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

That would be insulting . There’s no way he’s been offered 6 months imo  . Two years with a third option would be my guess , although a year with another year if he plays 20 games maybe . 

Depends doesn’t it? Would you want last year’s injury record on the books for 3 years if you weee the club? If you were Kakas would you want a massive pay cut?   Six months of form and fitness would improve both positions. 
Just thought - I know nothing…. but then again that’s as much as anyone on here! 

13 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Depends doesn’t it? Would you want last year’s injury record on the books for 3 years if you weee the club? If you were Kakas would you want a massive pay cut?   Six months of form and fitness would improve both positions. 
Just thought - I know nothing…. but then again that’s as much as anyone on here! 

Firstly that last bit clearly isn’t true, some on here obviously know far more than others, they certainly aren’t predicting signings that then come off weeks in advance by sheer guesswork.

This is just a completely unrealistic suggestion, Kalas has had an injury hit year but no way on earth has the conversation gone “how do you feel about sticking around for 6 months on half your old pay & then we’ll see how it goes”?.

Baker got a new two year deal when we offered him a contract in a similar case, & he had actually played fewer games in the previous season, so it will almost certainly be that sort of duration.

He is clearly keen to stay but also smart enough to realise that if he can get better than what is a 50% pay cut from July elsewhere then he needs to give that full consideration.

With his current contract expiring in a fortnight now we will know soon enough.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

Just now, roddy-d said:

Am I right in saying we find out tomorrow if he’s staying or not?? 

Officially his last day of contract is tomorrow.  On Saturday he will be OOC.

Whether club announce or not might be very different.

Niki Maenpaa iirc had to do his own in the park behind the Atyeo some time after he’d left! ??‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, roddy-d said:

Am I right in saying we find out tomorrow if he’s staying or not?? 

I think we only find out when he decides, whether that’s resigning or he’s signed for a new club. My gut feeling is he’ll leave but we may not hear anything for a while. 

4 minutes ago, SBB said:

I think we only find out when he decides, whether that’s resigning or he’s signed for a new club. My gut feeling is he’ll leave but we may not hear anything for a while. 

Shame was hoping he would stay. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think we'd be hard pushed to find out before he decides. 

Being slightly facetious, it could be that it’s no longer his decision to decide.  We might make it for him, by withdrawing our contract offer tomorrow.  It’s within our rights having given him the necessary minimum period to decide.

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Being slightly facetious, it could be that it’s no longer his decision to decide.  We might make it for him, by withdrawing our contract offer tomorrow.  It’s within our rights having given him the necessary minimum period to decide.

He wouldn't be the first player we've released only.to.come back a.few weeks later

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He wouldn't be the first player we've released only.to.come back a.few weeks later

Not sure if you’re referring to Baker, but he actually never went OOC, he agreed a deal on 28.06.21.

The likes of Danny Simpson, Andi Weimann and Timm Klose in recent seasons all agreed in advance of actually going OOC too.

I’m sure there have been examples though.  Who were you thinking of out of interest?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if you’re referring to Baker, but he actually never went OOC, he agreed a deal on 28.06.21.

The likes of Danny Simpson, Andi Weimann and Timm Klose in recent seasons all agreed in advance of actually going OOC too.

I’m sure there have been examples though.  Who were you thinking of out of interest?

I don’t think it has ever happened.

Indeed Baker is the only City player I can ever recall being released on the official retained list & then signing on again, as you say, exactly 2 years ago yesterday.

King signed his contract extension on the 30th June last year, my hunch is that he does the same thing again tomorrow.

I’m as sure as I can be that Kalas is gone, I just don’t think you stay on holiday for the first day of pre season if you’re planning on sticking around.

• Like 5

@Davefevs maybe you can confirm this.

A mate of mine thinks that unless he signs a new deal elsewhere, or the club physically release him, he can actually stay training at the club and be employed on a month to month basis, where until the club release his registration or he signs a new deal, he could stay on month to month, as his registration is still ours, until he signs for a new club, or we terminate his registration.

This sounded odd to me, and said I doubted that was possible, but thought you may the person who could clarify that or not?

14 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

A mate of mine thinks that unless he signs a new deal elsewhere, or the club physically release him, he can actually stay training at the club and be employed on a month to month basis, where until the club release his registration or he signs a new deal, he could stay on month to month, as his registration is still ours, until he signs for a new club, or we terminate his registration.

This sounded odd to me, and said I doubted that was possible, but thought you may the person who could clarify that or not?

That's if the club also agrees, if the club don't, then he is gone,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That's if the club also agrees, if the club don't, then he is gone,

Yes Monkeh is right.  He is due a month’s severance pay anyway, because terms are worse.  But yes we can.  

• Like 1

Can’t see him staying unfortunately, would love for him to stay but his injury record must be taken into consideration which is likely to have led to either a shorter deal than he’d hope for or less salary than he’d hope for. Hope I’m wrong as he’s immense when fit but realistically, it’s too infrequent to keep him at the club on a long term deal as a top earner.

• Like 1

Move on from Kalas for me. Cashin as a LCB to compete with Atkinson and/or Jake o’brien to replace kalas and to compete for RCB would be the ones for me. Either of those would probably be on less wages than even reduced terms they may have offered to kalas.

cashin has better future re-sale prospects due to age, has Irish links to others we have or are in for (knight) has obviously played with knight and roberts so has an understanding of how they play and is a naturally left sided cb. I would hope we are exploring him as an option along with knight

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just seen him in a supermarket in Bedminster topping up on protein puddings, so there we go. 

If this is true (& I have absolutely no reason to doubt you) then seeing as he’s in BS3 on the day his contract expires whilst we are training, only a super optimist would now think he’s staying.

I like Tomas as a player but still see this as pretty disrespectful, we should withdraw our contract offer now & move on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If this is true (& I have absolutely no reason to doubt you) then seeing as he’s in BS3 on the day his contract expires whilst we are training, only a super optimist would now think he’s staying.

I like Tomas as a player but still see this as pretty disrespectful, we should withdraw our contract offer now & move on.

Disrespectful? How do you know it hadn’t been amicably agreed?