IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

Just now, RedRoss said:

Don't think 37 games the season before last is 'utterly shit' if your talking about the last couple of seasons.

Not least when it was a joint decision to have an op during March 2022, curtailing his season.  He could’ve continued to play, but the management and player thought it best to have op early and give him best chance of returning.

Unfortunately had issues with rehab.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshbristol said:

Be very Suprised if we are offering that sort of money for a player who can’t stay fit 

Sorry but this is rubbish. Apart from breaking his jaw , he played most games for 3-4 years. Pearson said last year he played injuries for us & barely had a break as he was playing international football every summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taz said:

So from his perspective he would like a bit more p/w, but is weighing up the options out there. The club it appears, are firm with the offer and will not break through the new wage barrier (for arguments sake let's say £15k p/w which would fit with the above).

I applaud the club for sticking to this, regardless of who is on the other end of the contract. When you think about how dodgy it looked about 12-18 months ago, that's how it should be moving forward.

I also don't blame Kalas for waiting and weighing up the options. If he signs great, we're really well equipped at the back, and if he doesn't sign, then we're still really well equipped at the back.

Obviously with him wanting to stay in the area, that's going to help his decision. If for example someone in France offered him the same terms or slightly more, then he needs to weigh up if it would benefit him and his partner.

Let's see what happens, but as much as I like Kalas, he isn't irreplaceable.

he could go to Cardiff and stay in the area?

I think if Kalas does sign back on & Hayden Roberts joins as expected that’s probably it for defenders.

We’d have Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, Kalas, Naismith, Pring & Roberts, plus Atkinson to return after his ACL injury at some point & the lesser spotted Kane Wilson.

Looks enough for any eventuality to me & then the focus would presumably be on replacing Massengo & awaiting the outcome of whether Scott stays or goes.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not least when it was a joint decision to have an op during March 2022, curtailing his season.  He could’ve continued to play, but the management and player thought it best to have op early and give him best chance of returning.

Unfortunately had issues with rehab.

He'd been playing non stop at that point for a long time too. According to NP - playing through injuries for club and country.

Edited by Riaz

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If I came to the end of a contract with my current employee, and they offered me half the money to stay on and do the same job, I'd definitely want to explore other options!

It's a more complex argument and model than that - you are presumably just as capable of doing your job for the next 2-3 years as you are now; you may even get better. That is not the case for Kalas, or any other footballer. Also, you are presumably paid a decent market rate for your work - again, Kalas is out of phase with current salaries. Kalas' profession is time-constrained, and his value diminishes over time. He depreciates, effectively.

I love economics.

I think £12-15k is a fair offer and the perhaps slightly higher than I was expecting given the post Covid economics of the Championship as well as our recent history with being close to FFP last year or 2.

No reflection on him as such but it's quite a different context now. Fully appreciate that he may get offers elsewhere that exceed, be it football or cash but the offer seems fair IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure if I'm adding much to what is already known/suspected about the current situation but...

Apparently he is very keen to stay at City. He likes the area and is settled with his partner who is from the area. 

The contract offer on the table from City is half of his currently contract, which is rumoured to be £25-30k pw depending on whether you include the signing on fee which is spread across the contract length. So the offer on the table is somewhere around £12.5k - £15k pw.

There has been tentative interest from abroad but no firm contract offers as yet.

Clearly, the longer there are no firm, better offers from other clubs, the more likely it is he'll sign a new deal at City.

But it's certainly not clear cut he'll leave the club and I'd reiterate, his strong preference is to stay at City.

I have it on good authority that he has been offered less than 12.5-15k pw. 

Just now, marcofisher said:

Seems a lot of money still. I can’t imagine Zac has been offered anywhere near that much and he was ever present last season.

This is where Nige has pointed out that one good season doesn’t necessarily mean a player should be paid as much as someone who’s done it over multiple years.

• Like 1

Don't think he'd be good value for that money personally and I'd trust the recruitment team to bring in a suitable replacement.

We've seen glimpses of true quality but for me Kalas has struggled to hit the same heights as he did with Webster next to him, I'd happily move on and refresh things at the back now. If he signs I hope he proves me wrong and gets back to his very best but it's too much of a gamble for me. Not worried about injuries though.

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Don't think he'd be good value for that money personally and I'd trust the recruitment team to bring in a suitable replacement.

Just out of interest - if you trust the recruitment team to bring in a suitable replacement (and agreeing suitable wages/fee etc) why don’t you trust the recruitment team to recruit Kalas on a wage they deem appropriate and VFM?

Kalas is OOC and the recruitment team/Nige want to sign him on again. You can’t not trust their judgement there on a “known” quantity but trust their judgement on an “unknown” quantity…?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Might have something to do with the fact Zak Vyner is nowhere near the player Tomas Kalas is, mate! 

Tomas Kalas has barely kicked a ball for a year and is in his thirties now. Peak Tomas Kalas I would agree with but fitness levels have to enter the equation too when considering what is a bigger asset.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just out of interest - if you trust the recruitment team to bring in a suitable replacement (and agreeing suitable wages/fee etc) why don’t you trust the recruitment team to recruit Kalas on a wage they deem appropriate and VFM?

Kalas is OOC and the recruitment team/Nige want to sign him on again. You can’t not trust their judgement there on a “known” quantity but trust their judgement on an “unknown” quantity…?

It's just my opinion. I don't think at the suggested wages mentioned he's worth keeping, especially when we've been good at finding quality players at affordable fees/wages. If he was staying for 10k rather than 15k for example, I'd be more open to it.

It's not about trusting their judgement on Kalas, I'm not suggesting it's a big disaster just giving my take on it. If the club want to keep him at those wages then fair enough, it doesn't directly correlate to my opinion on recruitment.

27 minutes ago, Ecko said:

I have it on good authority that he has been offered less than 12.5-15k pw. 

When I was writing the post I did think back to when he signed permanently for us (which I think I broke at the time) and I was told he was on £20k pw, of which half would obviously be £10k pw.

If it's possibly even less than £10k pw then no wonder he's considering his options, as that would be considerably less than the kind of money he's been on for the rest of his career.

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How do you know that? It's either speculation or if its been told by somebody actually in the know on what authority have they blabbed? 

It isn't speculation. It's what he has been offered. I am not surprised he is considering his options. 

For what it is worth, he is currently building a large property in Bristol, and he has no real desire to leave. His partner is Bristol born and bred, and she wants to stay too. 

Edited by Ecko

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is where Nige has pointed out that one good season doesn’t necessarily mean a player should be paid as much as someone who’s done it over multiple years.

Possibly so but there's no guarantee Vyner would agree. Worst case scenario is we lose Kalas by halving his salary and lose Vyner by offer way less than half of Kalas' salary. 

38 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Tomas Kalas has barely kicked a ball for a year and is in his thirties now. Peak Tomas Kalas I would agree with but fitness levels have to enter the equation too when considering what is a bigger asset.

He was 30 last month. Not 130! 

Given what we know about the cause of his long term injury in 2022 (Pearson has talked about this publicly) - given the time he's been allowed to have surgery, recuperate, not rush back, have a damn good rest - given we can have confidence in our medical team (a novelty!) - and given we've seen fit to offer him a new contract - I'd conclude the club are confident there are no serious question marks about his fitness levels, going forward, at all. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ecko said:

It isn't speculation. It's what he has been offered. I am not surprised he is considering his options. 

For what it is worth, he is currently building a large property in Bristol, and he has no real desire to leave. His partner is Bristol born and bred, and she wants to stay too. 

I'm very happy he's settled in Bristol and I hope he stays but you didn't say how you know what he's been offered. I hope he's sanctioned the release of this fact. 

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I hope he signs. I try not to let heart rule head when it comes to what's best for City but I can't help but love TK. TK and one more centre-half would also see us sorted for that position - Dickie, Atkinson, Kalas, Vyner and one more, Naismith and McCrorie when needed.

I’d be very happy with those CB options 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I’d be very happy with those CB options 

I do too quality wise, but it'd be one short on quantity imo - with Kalas, Atkinson and Naismith all coming off challenging seasons from an injury perspective. I feel like we've been a centre-back or two light for a couple of seasons now and I'm certain it's cost us plenty of points.

• Confused 1