IGNORED

Kalas - Signed for Schalke04

52 minutes ago, Ecko said:

It isn't speculation. It's what he has been offered. I am not surprised he is considering his options. 

For what it is worth, he is currently building a large property in Bristol, and he has no real desire to leave. His partner is Bristol born and bred, and she wants to stay too. 

So, not a footballing reason?

I keep hearing he’s settled here.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Best thing would be to get him to agree a pay-as-you-play deal. 

Living in fantasy land if you think he would agree to that..

I personally think he will stay but you can’t knock him for seeing what other options are out there. At 30 this is likely going to be his last big ish contract so it will be one he will want to get right from a financial point of view irrespective of how much he may like the club or living in Bristol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good to know, thanks - and pretty much plays to what we thought the scenario was. Kalas is predisposed to stay unless he gets something great elsewhere and NP clearly wants him to stay.

I’ve said on another thread that the interesting thing for me is what all this means for Vyner. Assuming we’re still in for O’Brien, it would give us CB options of Vyner, Dickie, McCrorie, Kalas, O’Brien, Atkinson (when fit) plus Pring and any U21. Vyner has one year left on a deal and we don’t appear close to agreement. We also know that prior to last season, he was on the way out. I also stand by that we shouldn’t offer Zak a deal that is in excess of what Nige sees as his value to the team over the next, say, 3 years

It wouldn’t shock me at all to see TK signing, us completing the O’Brien deal and then Vyner departing. It’d mean we cash in before he’s a free agent and off the back of a good season that we don’t know at this point if it was reflective of standard moving forward or just temporary good form, so probably get the most £.

Good reasoning in your post. My view of last paragraph would be slightly different.

1. Kalas is, at present, a decent Championship centre half. But what will he be in two years of a three year contract? Not as good and still one of the highest paid?

2. Zak Vyner had a very good record in season just gone. Big question is will he continue improving at a similar rate or has he reached his peak? Is this why the offer of a new contract has not be taken up yet because Zac wants a higher pay level and NP doesn't believe he will continue improving at last season's rate?

In some ways I can see why the club are offering as they are, but will either be able to take us to another plane?

It will be interesting to watch how it develops in the next two years if they both stay.

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if he doesn't have offers from all over Europe, he was a regular in the Czech national team up until his injury troubles. Players of that standard are generally able to pick up a contract in Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A etc all of which would presumably be in excess of what we can offer him. I can't see him being here next season personally and there needs to be a cut-off date by which he has to take the offer on the table or move on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

I personally think he will stay but you can’t knock him for seeing what other options are out there. At 30 this is likely going to be his last big ish contract so it will be one he will want to get right from a financial point of view irrespective of how much he may like the club or living in Bristol.

I may be mistaken but I hear a ‘whoosh ‘ flying in .

3 hours ago, Ecko said:

It isn't speculation. It's what he has been offered. I am not surprised he is considering his options. 

For what it is worth, he is currently building a large property in Bristol, and he has no real desire to leave. His partner is Bristol born and bred, and she wants to stay too. 

That makes sense as he’s giving notice on his rented property.

20 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

My gut feel is he will move on, possibly within the Championship.

Not ITK or anything, just summing up the arguments for and against.  I think Nige rates him, but that alone won’t be enough when another club can go up-budget with no fee to pay, where here or abroad.

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

So, not a footballing reason?

I keep hearing he’s settled here.

I think we have to be pragmatic. If we restrict ourselves to players whose lifelong footballing dream is to represent Bristol City then we may struggle to fulfil fixtures. Bristol as a city is a major selling point and we should embrace that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think we have to be pragmatic. If we restrict ourselves to players whose lifelong footballing dream is to represent Bristol City then we may struggle to fulfil fixtures. Bristol as a city is a major selling point and we should embrace that.

Embrace it yes, but when it comes down to business, I would like to think any player that arrives here, is here to better themselves and the club first and foremost.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Good reasoning in your post. My view of last paragraph would be slightly different.

1. Kalas is, at present, a decent Championship centre half. But what will he be in two years of a three year contract? Not as good and still one of the highest paid?

2. Zak Vyner had a very good record in season just gone. Big question is will he continue improving at a similar rate or has he reached his peak? Is this why the offer of a new contract has not be taken up yet because Zac wants a higher pay level and NP doesn't believe he will continue improving at last season's rate?

In some ways I can see why the club are offering as they are, but will either be able to take us to another plane?

It will be interesting to watch how it develops in the next two years if they both stay.

What we don’t want is for him to end up at Crapdiff on a better contract 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is he will move on, possibly within the Championship.

Not ITK or anything, just summing up the arguments for and against.  I think Nige rates him, but that alone won’t be enough when another club can go up-budget with no fee to pay, where here or abroad.

Which Champ clubs other than parachute can pay him more than us? Boro? Stoke? Enough to make it worth his while to move?

I don't see him as attractive to any parachute club

I think he either goes abroad or stays here

Edited by cidercity1987