IGNORED

Bellingham to Real

SecretSam

I really rate Jude, fantastic talent with a very mature attitude for a young lad.

I can see the attraction of going to RM and Madrid is a marvelous city but I would imagine his profile will make it difficult to enjoy it day to day.

Watched them against Man City in the CL semi and they were taken apart. Barca, despite their financial woes, seem to be well ahead of them too. 

Interesting choice of destination.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Replacement for Kroos? Will be good for him financially and certainly keep him in the spotlight. Not sure if it's good from a footballing perspective. 

Reckon he'll be fine, if anything this is bad news for Camavinga who might stay as a left back (especially if Ancelotti's staying).

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I really rate Jude, fantastic talent with a very mature attitude for a young lad.

I can see the attraction of going to RM and Madrid is a marvelous city but I would imagine his profile will make it difficult to enjoy it day to day.

Watched them against Man City in the CL semi and they were taken apart. Barca, despite their financial woes, seem to be well ahead of them too. 

Interesting choice of destination.

Real Madrid still rebuilding . They need a couple of key additions still, their midfield seems in place for the future- if they add Mbappe that is suddenly a game changer. He's been linked for a couple of years but could happen this summer.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Real Madrid still rebuilding . They need a couple of key additions still, their midfield seems in place for the future- if they add Mbappe that is suddenly a game changer. He's been linked for a couple of years but could happen this summer.

If they don't get Mbappe they need a striker for sure. Despite his age Benzema is a huge loss. For years speculation surrounded his departure but he saw off so many strikers who were said to be the next great thing. His exile from the French national team for so long was criminal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Replacement for Kroos? Will be good for him financially and certainly keep him in the spotlight. Not sure if it's good from a footballing perspective. 

It’s literally the best team for him to go to. Class side if they add Kane or Mbappe. 

36 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Reckon he'll be fine, if anything this is bad news for Camavinga who might stay as a left back (especially if Ancelotti's staying).

I’d rather Camavinga in place of Tchouameni in midfield. But believe you are right 

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If they don't get Mbappe they need a striker for sure. Despite his age Benzema is a huge loss. For years speculation surrounded his departure but he saw off so many strikers who were said to be the next great thing. His exile from the French national team for so long was criminal. 

Maybe the scandals he was involved in in France played a part!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don’t understand the Mbappe stuff, Vinny & Mbappe love to sit on the left

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

What is it about signing for the most successful European club side in history that is a problem from a footballing perspective?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thatchers Red said:

I read the forum and don’t normally post, but seeing this. 88m for Bellingham it seems to me 25m for Scott is a bit of a bargain.

When Bellingham Signed for Dortmund he went for about 25M.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

What is it about signing for the most successful European club side in history that is a problem from a footballing perspective?

Nothing per se but I'm not sure that at this moment in time if Real are an advancement on Dortmund. Perhaps that they're going through transition might be of benefit to Bellingham, just have to wait and see. 

Perhaps my comments are tinged with my feelings for Real Madrid amongst others. To explain, there are only two clubs for which I have an emotional attachment, Bristol City and Melksham Town, the town in which I was raised and call home. All other football I watch maybe with enjoyment but without emotion  preferring to watch some sides over others. I particularly enjoy watching sides who come across to me as a team e.g. Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Brighton etc whereas those who seem to be more of a collection of individuals leave me cold e.g. Paris St German, Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur and Real Madrid who seem to be the sum of its galacticos. 

It's purely my own personal feeling which I don't expect to be shared by others. 

3 minutes ago, Thatchers Red said:

No disrespect, but is Bellingham 3 and 1/2 times better that Scott?

That's not how transfer fees work

There are a multitude of factors that influence price, like the financial resources of buyer and seller, commercial benefits, the player's contract length, age and, of course, ability.

Also, on the football side specifically - Alex Scott is an incredibly talented footballer but you're comparing him to a player with over 1,500 champions league minutes, who has 24 England senior appearances and was involved in a goal once every other game from midfield this season. And Jude Bellingham is only a couple months older than Scott!

Generational is a phrase that gets thrown around too much in football but Bellingham's output is staggering and he fits the 'generational' tag.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

That's not how transfer fees work

There are a multitude of factors that influence price, like the financial resources of buyer and seller, commercial benefits, the player's contract length, age and, of course, ability.

Also, on the football side specifically - Alex Scott is an incredibly talented footballer but you're comparing him to a player with over 1,500 champions league minutes, who has 24 England senior appearances and was involved in a goal once every other game from midfield this season. And Jude Bellingham is only a couple months older than Scott!

Generational is a phrase that gets thrown around too much in football but Bellingham's output is staggering and he fits the 'generational' tag.

is there a more nauseating contemporary sporting term than 'generatational'... ?

• Like 1

Have no interest in it at all , When he plays for England great apart from that I have no interest in these lunacy of players wages & tranfer fees it’s another world . Oh yes for us mere immortals interest rates to go up next week and my local the price of a standard lager has now gone over £5.00 a pint , on my paltry £35000-£45000 a year at 60 hours a week , whilst they earn that a day some of them , oh I forgot it’s a short career ??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Robin 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's surprisingly low. Definitely read £10m in some relatively reliable sources.

Guess it depends what the percentage sell-in is?

We are talking circa £60m profit, so if it’s 10% it’s circa £6m, 15% then £9m.  There were stories of it being as low as 5%???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Guess it depends what the percentage sell-in is?

We are talking circa £60m profit, so if it’s 10% it’s circa £6m, 15% then £9m.  There were stories of it being as low as 5%???

True. I'm inclined to believe the 15 pct story, because a respected Birmingham blogger- Al Majir (Dan Ivery) who has been dogged as hell and dug deep into their ownership travails- has said 15 pct for about a year. He clearly has some good sources, judging by the info he has unearthed about varied issues there in recent years.

Time will tell I guess.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

While I'm at it @Davefevs

Sell on clauses and add ons. Does a sell on apply to these as they fall due? Thought you may know, seen some chatter Birmingham wise but sounds a bit of a new one.

E.g. add-on of £10m say for x appearances, Birmingham get £1.5m or whatever the percentage is of that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I'm at it @Davefevs

Sell on clauses and add ons. Does a sell on apply to these as they fall due? Thought you may know, seen some chatter Birmingham wise but sounds a bit of a new one.

E.g. add-on of £10m say for x appearances, Birmingham get £1.5m or whatever the percentage is of that.

Yes, assuming the terms of the transfer from Brum didn’t implicitly state they aren’t included.

Of course the transfer agreement can have anything in it.  Sometimes they state things like “add-ons to do not persist through future transfers” or “add-ons only apply if they occur within the time period of the initial contract (including or excluding option years”, etc, etc.  so a £1m on promotion that happens in year 4 when the player signed initially for 3 years wouldn’t count in that last example.

I believe one of our recent signings has such a clause binding add-ons to the period of the initial contract.

In terms of timing of payment, then yes, as they fall due, so as Dortmund get their £10m appearance add-on, they are duty bound to pay Brum £1.5m of it.

There can be issues with cross-border payments of this type.  There is no central database, so it is down to Brum to claim it from Dortmund.  There is talk of FIFA centrally managing this.  You may recall Derby not paying Legia Warsaw their transfer instalment for Joswiak, even though they’d subsequently sold him and received payment from Charlotte!!!  And Derby fans moaned at you for telling them some home truths? ??‍♂️

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You mean being part of the rebuild of a team who only last won the champions league a year ago and has the most wins of the competition in history? He is young enough to live through a number of great squads/eras with Real. I don’t see how it can’t be considered good from a footballing perspective.