IGNORED

Kane Wilson to Derby - Confirmed

Just now, Davefevs said:

I do know from the recruitment meetings, what Nige wants, and is not really tactical system / formation related.

This to me just doesn't work in the modern game.

Hope I'm proved wrong, but the best sides recruit to a system and fill it with players that meet the requirements of that.

What else is he actually looking at if not tactical system or formation related?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tanner is better defensively than some of above teams FBs/WBs.  

The simplification is really that the best teams have the best players, and the best teams can play to those player’s strengths.  If Boro had to play defensively due to inadequacies elsewhere, you wouldn’t be saying Ryan Giles is a good attacking full back.  Ryan Giles is an awful defensive full-back but Boro play to negate his weaknesses.

Boro last season is a great example of a team we can compare our wing backs to.

Tommy Smith rarely burst forward and often tucked in with Isaiah Jones or Forss keeping the width on the right. Tanner is more than capable of doing that with Sykes wider.

Giles was basically a winger and a huge creative force for them, Pring is a similar type of player and is also stronger defensively than RG

• Like 3

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Hope I'm proved wrong, but the best sides recruit to a system and fill it with players that meet the requirements of that.

What else is he actually looking at if not tactical system or formation related?

What about Plan B, C etc or when there are injuries and suspensions

This theory would fall down then

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Or he is just trying to make the squad better.  Squads evolve.  Players leave for many different reasons.  Doesn’t have to be “bus” related.

Yep, fair point. I certainly agree that the standard of the squad is better now than at this point last season.

• Like 1

Just now, phantom said:

That's why you in an ideal world have two players in each position with different qualities, which is exactly what we had in Tanner/Wilson. The balance of that is nice. Not so much with McCrorie/Tanner, who are both much better defensively than going forwards.

2 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Who knows, we might even revert back to a 3 at the back (Wouldn't be my choice) will the amount of central defenders we're getting, which would obviously let our full backs/wide midfielders kick on.

Was going to post similar. You beat me to it. McCrorie, Vyner or Naismaith, Roberts at the back with Pring and Sykes as wing backs. Also allows us to  use two up top Wells / Conway.

We have better players this year so 352 or a variation could work better. Don't forget we started 352 last season and it worked very well until injuries struck in October.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

That's why you in an ideal world have two players in each position with different qualities, which is exactly what we had in Tanner/Wilson. The balance of that is nice. Not so much with McCrorie/Tanner, who are both much better defensively than going forwards.

Sykes / Tanner ?

1 hour ago, Jimbo123 said:

In the modern game the best sides in any league have full backs that attack like Pring or Bryan do.

I worry if Tanner, McCrorie and Roberts are 3 of our 4 full back choices to be honest.

Man City won the treble by playing centre backs at full back in Ake/Akanji, or Walker who is more known for his defensive work at right back. Whilst it’s nice to have it’s not vital

• Like 1

He is recruiting to a system, not a formation though.  He wants players that can run all day, he’s wants self-motivators, he wants intelligence to implement the game plan.  He wants players that can handle to ball so he can evolve us away from counter-attacking (only) to be able to do that and have more possession.  He wants more physicality, he wants us to be bigger, so he can do more set-piece wise at both ends of the pitch.

Pep isn’t rigid in his formation, as an example…and for all those crying about versatile players, look no further than Jon Stones.  Playing ethos he is though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Was going to post similar. You beat me to it. McCrorie, Vyner or Naismaith, Roberts at the back with Pring and Sykes as wing backs. Also allows us to  use two up top Wells / Conway.

We have better players this year so 352 or a variation could work better. Don't forget we started 352 last season and it worked very well until injuries struck in October.

Sykes / Tanner ?

Sykes isn't a full back, only can be an option as a wing back imo.

Just now, Davefevs said:

He is recruiting to a system, not a formation though.  He wants players that can run all day, he’s wants self-motivators, he wants intelligence to implement the game plan.  He wants players that can handle to ball so he can evolve us away from counter-attacking (only) to be able to do that and have more possession.  He wants more physicality, he wants us to be bigger, so he can do more set-piece wise at both ends of the pitch.

Pep isn’t rigid in his formation, as an example…and for all those crying about versatile players, look no further than Jon Stones.  Playing ethos he is though.

Interesting enough. 

I hope it works Dave, I just like to have positions well balanced. It concerns me that our full back options aren't particularly expansive.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

My philosophy is that Plan B and Plan C should really be Plan A v2 and Plan A v3, deviations from Plan A v1.

I don’t think it should be majorly different to Plan A.

And if as @Jimbo123 says in his post above:

7 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

you need different types, does that not suggest that when player A is injured that you have to change the way you play to suit Player B?  For me, it’s this kind of thinking that results in a bloated squad.  I’d rather we didn’t.

At the end of the day, it’s just debate, good debate, i just happen to be on the other side of the viewpoint. Hey-ho.

Interesting enough. 

Yep, and that’s all it is…different ways of thinking. ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

My philosophy is that Plan B and Plan C should really be Plan A v2 and Plan A v3, deviations from Plan A v1.

I don’t think it should be majorly different to Plan A.

And if as @Jimbo123 says in his post above:

you need different types, does that not suggest that when player A is injured that you have to change the way you play to suit Player B?  For me, it’s this kind of thinking that results in a bloated squad.  I’d rather we didn’t.

At the end of the day, it’s just debate, good debate, i just happen to be on the other side of the viewpoint. Hey-ho.

Yep, and that’s all it is…different ways of thinking. ??

In full agreement re: the variations of plan A.

Plan B should be to make "Plan A" work better, however that may be.

I think the English school of thought is to have a "Plan B" which is essentially just chucking on a big man up top and going long at him.

Not as effective in the modern game, imo.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimbo123 said:

I think the English school of thought is to have a "Plan B" which is essentially just chucking on a big man up top and going long at him.

And fickle City fans “we need a target man as plan B”

Also fickle City fans “can’t just hit it and hope into the centre forward”

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed, Pep said he came to the conclusion that he needed to play out and out defenders.

Fans I think tend to put too much emphasis on positions when in the modern game it makes more sense to think about roles. That's particularly true of full backs I think. For instance of the range of right backs available to England none play the same role for their clubs as each other.

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Man City won the treble by playing centre backs at full back in Ake/Akanji, or Walker who is more known for his defensive work at right back. Whilst it’s nice to have it’s not vital

Could be what we're going with looking at our recruiting, especially in McCrorie and Roberts, who both are central defenders with experience out wide.

Just now, Monkeh said:

I'm pretty sure Pearson knows what he is doing more so then some posters on this forum,

If kane isn't deemed good enough then he isnt good enough

If you took that mindset into every football discussion it'd be a very boring sport for us fans, as there'd be nothing to discuss.

Of course he's more qualified to make a judgment as it's his profession, but don't forget it was his judgment to sign him in the first place.

You could've said that about Szmodics when LJ let him go "I'm sure LJ is more qualified to make the decision to make the decision" - well, yes, he was, but he also made the wrong decision.

• Like 1

There was actually something in the Stroud Times of all places, last night..Wilson news did remind me. Suppose it would figure given Forest Green.

https://stroudtimes.com/former-forest-green-defender-set-to-leave-bristol-city/

I digress, if McCrorie is coming in surely the man in possession is Tanner still, McCrorie needs to earn his place. I'm fine with that, two good players pushing each other for Right Back can only be a positive IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was actually something in the Stroud Times of all places, last night..Wilson news did remind me. Suppose it would figure given Forest Green.

https://stroudtimes.com/former-forest-green-defender-set-to-leave-bristol-city/

I digress, if McCrorie is coming in surely the man in possession is Tanner still, McCrorie needs to earn his place. I'm fine with that, two good players pushing each other for Right Back can only be a positive IMO.

I think nobody is in possession…pre-season decides that.

• Like 1

• Admin

When Pep plays a back 4 in big games he has been erring towards playing Akanji and Walker at FB who are both capable CBs. I believe as we’ve switched to a back 4 Nige is simply thinking along similar lines. If we can tighten up our defence by about 10 goals a season, even if we don’t improve in terms of goals scored, that’d put us right in the playoff mix.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. Wish him all the best. This Bristol City train is carrying no passengers 

Might be a bit harsh calling him a passenger, but I do expect a few years ago he'd have bobbled around the first team making the odd appearance, gone out for a loan or two, we'd then have activated his +1 year, and finally he'd have left on a free in 3 years time. So maybe you're right!

I'd much rather we do it this way and potentially miss out.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7