IGNORED

Next Leeds manager..... Lee Johnson?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The challenge back is - Ask yourself why Liverpool didn’t sign him?

Webster was playing in the Championship and not an established PL CB as Van Dyk was at Southampton - maybe they weren’t prepared to gamble on whether he’d make the step in class.

Who knows? 

• Like 1

Lee Johnson at Leeds would be...interesting. I don't see it.

He would probably pick a tactical plan that doesn't suit, as he often did here- there were phases and spells when it did but how much was forced by injury, and or caused by stumbling across one.

The churn of players was for the most part absurd. The list hit and miss, awful lot of minutes lost to injury as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I just think the emphasis is more on what a defender can do with the ball more than their defending abilities these days. 

I take your point which is why I brought up Bakers name. If he'd not been injured would you play him and let in less goals or Naismith and score more but let in more? Interesting decision 

Might not be the best manager for them and can understand the confusion around it but I really don’t get all the stick and hate LJ gets by our fans. Yes it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing all the time but in my years watching city there’s only been 3 managers I’ve genuinely enjoyed watching the club with and actually brought some excitement/joy and that’s Gary Johnson, Cotterill and Lee. Granted the first 2 won promotions and a cup but with LJ it’s the first time we were considered a genuine threat to the league and a team that could challenge. Also worth remembering we were his first “big” job and he was still learning his trade. Things could have gone differently for him here if he had someone above him better than Ashton to oversee spendings.

Might be the only one who thinks this but I reckon he’d do a decent job at Leeds. If you look at his jobs so far it isn’t that bad. Kept Oldham up and settled, went to Barnsley and got them in the promotion mix and to the cup final before leaving for us, they went on to get promoted and win the cup, took us from relegation fights to pushing for play off spots and a very good cup run. Went to Sunderland who were an absolute shit show and again had them top 4 and it was a bit of a weird sacking with the timing. Where’s he’s at now there’s only so much you can do. Never making top 2 and at best can make a domestic cup final. He needs to come back to the championship again imo.

• Like 5

It would be interesting to see what he could do with one of the top budgets in the League I guess, although he surely had that at Sunderland in League One.

You see an untried at first attempt and average manager like Parker with 2 promotions in 2 attempts so it would be interesting.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Negan said:

Might not be the best manager for them and can understand the confusion around it but I really don’t get all the stick and hate LJ gets by our fans. Yes it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing all the time but in my years watching city there’s only been 3 managers I’ve genuinely enjoyed watching the club with and actually brought some excitement/joy and that’s Gary Johnson, Cotterill and Lee. Granted the first 2 won promotions and a cup but with LJ it’s the first time we were considered a genuine threat to the league and a team that could challenge. Also worth remembering we were his first “big” job and he was still learning his trade. Things could have gone differently for him here if he had someone above him better than Ashton to oversee spendings.

Might be the only one who thinks this but I reckon he’d do a decent job at Leeds. If you look at his jobs so far it isn’t that bad. Kept Oldham up and settled, went to Barnsley and got them in the promotion mix and to the cup final before leaving for us, they went on to get promoted and win the cup, took us from relegation fights to pushing for play off spots and a very good cup run. Went to Sunderland who were an absolute shit show and again had them top 4 and it was a bit of a weird sacking with the timing. Where’s he’s at now there’s only so much you can do. Never making top 2 and at best can make a domestic cup final. He needs to come back to the championship again imo.

I think there’s a lot of people who blame him for the financial situation we find ourselves in now. I personally don’t, that lays to Ashton and SL.

They were the ones who sanctioned the spending. As a manager in a high pressure job of course you are going to ask to buy another player, if the above says yes, what can he do. Incidentally, the time I thought we played the best was when we were struggling for players due to injury and had to play Reid and Pato up top!

Theres other who don’t like his jargon. I don’t mind it, he’s not an old school tell it like it is manager. He likes to think outside the box and try new techniques. Nothing wrong with that, but I get how it can grate for some.

Others just don’t like him because he’s short.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Negan said:

The Yin and Yang of LJ!!!

FWIW under his current career trajectory and performance to date I think Leeds is too big for him / beyond him at this point in time.

And I think the only way for him to build his credentials to get a “big” job is to go and be a no2 to someone like Pep.  I think he needs to learn that role.  I think it would help him appreciate being a manager / head-coach.

Having said that I think he thinks that would be beneath him! ??‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

One  of my bugbears with LJ was how he turned an essentially simple game into something that was clearly above and beyond the comprehension of us mere fans. 
I  felt like he was obsessed with having to prove himself. Being better than his dad, showing that he wasn’t just in football because of who his dad was . We got sucked into this psycho vortex . 
I felt sorry for the lad when he was sacked by Sunderland because I believe he would have taken them up and that , in itself would have been a whole freaking band of monkeys off his back. 
Would he do the business for Leeds? He would give everything he has to succeed, it wouldn’t be for lack of effort and I don’t see why not but there are probably clubs which are a better fit for him. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Negan said:

I don't hate LJ for his time here.

I just look on it as a missed opportunity for the club (collectively).

We had a CEO who bought and sold players like second hand cars. But in essence, we had the chance to get into the Playoffs in at least 2 seasons, and eventually on both occasions fell away at the end of the season.

Would NP or another experienced manager have failed to get us into the playoffs with the resources available to him. I'm not so sure.

The story of the LJ years are like the metaphor of the story of Icarus and the general overreaching of the club at the time. It all came back to bite us over the proceeding 3 seasons.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 19/06/2023 at 09:14, Dr Balls said:

Webster would actually be suited to playing the role that Guardiola has given John Stones in the second half of the season, I.e. stepping up into midfield to create an additional player going forward and leaving others to cover behind, but then stepping back inti a back 4 when defending.

Nige was doing that with Naismith when we had enough fit centre backs. Applying gaslogic means that Nige therefore is better than Pep.

Would have made a bigger play for Corberan if I were Leeds but Farke has the titles despite the sales of Maddison and Murphy on his CV albeit the 2nd a bounce back and the first year of Parachute Payments in the 2nd but their wage bill in 2018-19 wasn't all that big iirc (once promotion bonuses stripped out).

Think Corberan probably tactically a bit better than Farke but yes can see why.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I have stated my opinion of Lee Johnson many times on this forum, almost to the point of being obsessed, and as I am enjoying a games night with friends, I won't bother going over old ground.

So it's back to Scrabble for me, being as how I am currently in the lead and on the point of victory. ?

If any of you are interested, here is a selection of the words that I have played tonight:

OBNOXIOUS

ARROGANT

ENTITLED

SELF

INDULGENT

UNQUALIFIED

FUCKWEASLE (Dictionary currently being consulted).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

I have stated my opinion of Lee Johnson many times on this forum, almost to the point of being obsessed, and as I am enjoying a games night with friends, I won't bother going over old ground.

So it's back to Scrabble for me, being as how I am currently in the lead and on the point of victory. ?

If any of you are interested, here is a selection of the words that I have played tonight:

OBNOXIOUS

ARROGANT

ENTITLED

SELF

INDULGENT

UNQUALIFIED

FUCKWEASLE (Dictionary currently being consulted).

I think arrogant is as far off the mark as you can get. I think he had a bit of an inferiority complex from having little formal education and was obsessed with self improvement schemes. All the publicising of his odd learning experiences suggests to me a need to boost his self esteem. Just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I think arrogant is as far off the mark as you can get. I think he had a bit of an inferiority complex from having little formal education and was obsessed with self improvement schemes. All the publicising of his odd learning experiences suggests to me a need to boost his self esteem. Just my opinion.

I agree.  Always think there was that little bit of insecurity because he’d spent so much time under his dad’s wing.  And whereas his dad has the label of being more man-manager than tactical, I think Lee has tried to go the opposite way almost to show he’s different.

Edited by Davefevs

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.  Always think there was that little bit of insecurity because he’d spent so much time under his dad’s wing.  And whereas his dad has the label of being more man-manager than tactical, I think Lee has tried to go the opposite way almost to show he’s different.

For balance I disagree. 100% misplaced arrogance. Didn’t he think he was going to be Pep’s number two or something?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

For balance I disagree. 100% misplaced arrogance. Didn’t he think he was going to be Pep’s number two or something?

He has also a bit of a temper or immaturity. I remember about 3 to 4 seasons ago when I was back home, and I was in the Lansdown stand. As they came off at half time the Blackburn coaching staff kicked a ball at LJ in front of the tunnel. LJ immediately reacted with his fists up and chest out, he looked an embarrassment.