IGNORED

City Retro Shirts

TSG

Been on the hunt for a retro City top for a while but I’m seeing some on sites like eBay for silly money…. does anyone have one they are looking to sell? Ideally XL or XXL if possible. 

Also brings me to think have City missed out on this? I went to see West Ham last season and when I looked in their shop, the retro range they had was incredible. I’m certain we would sell many things if we bothered to go with it! 

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Thinking out loud, is there a conflict between sponsors if we were to roll out retro shirts? Perhaps the bigger clubs who do it well, Liverpool, West Ham, Tottenham I've seen mentioned, have better relationships and ability to front up the cost of getting those permissions etc. 

If you were Huboo and you'd just spent half a million quid per season on getting your business on the shirts of Bristol City you'd probably be fairly miffed if half our fans spent £30 on one with Hireite, Blackthorn or DAS on the front. 

I think these things are a bit more nuanced and complicated than simply "the fans would like this so do it". If you know what I mean? I think, considering Jon's obsession with retro kits over the last few years, the powers that be would like to do it, but it might not be either possible or financially viable. Let's not forget how bad our accounts are still... profit remains king until thats fixed, however distasteful that feels.

Never thought of it like that to be honest, great point. 

10 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Some of the big clubs do have good ones for sure, guess they are going to sell plenty. 
Really like the old school plain ones like the Arsenal yellow 1971 double winning shirt.

IMG_0457.webp.dfd5c647ee7deb7c3d5804aa127bd0bf.webp

Imagine this complicated beauty though ?

IMG_5552.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

I’d certainly be interested in buying a season 75/76 shirt, which was a design classic.

Toffs still selling them, I've had this one for over 10 years, stylish, brilliant quality and will never go out of date. 

https://www.toffs.com/bristol-city-1975-1976-home-retro-football-shirt

1549.webp

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Nice shirt! Did it not have the Robin badge then though? 

No the robin/suspension bridge/football badge was introduced the following season, the new Division 1 shirt with the Umbro diamonds down the sleeves. 

Toffs do a replica of that one as well, including the white away version. 

Really accurate replicas, great quality, all cotton with an embroidered crest.

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, City Rocker said:

No the robin/suspension bridge/football badge was introduced the following season, the new Division 1 shirt with the Umbro diamonds down the sleeves. 

Toffs do a replica of that one as well, including the white away version. 

Really accurate replicas, great quality, all cotton with an embroidered crest.

Just think, if our kit supplier was Umbro not O’Reilly, they could make EXACT replicas of the top flight shirt. 

I mean O’Neills not O’Reilly. O’Reilly was the dodgy builder from Fawlty Towers… easy mistake to make. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TSG said:

Been on the hunt for a retro City top for a while but I’m seeing some on sites like eBay for silly money…. does anyone have one they are looking to sell? Ideally XL or XXL if possible. 

Also brings me to think have City missed out on this? I went to see West Ham last season and when I looked in their shop, the retro range they had was incredible. I’m certain we would sell many things if we bothered to go with it! 

The retro shirt scene is massive at the moment so you’d be looking to spend a fair bit especially on the 93 shirt (it’s actually available on classic football shirts.co.uk right now) they had the purple one from same season a few weeks ago and I just missed out on it.

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Buy up plenty of our 2023/24 promotion shirts and they will be very popular in 50 years time with a huge mark up. 

Pretty good advice, I’ve started buying the shirts again lately if for no reason other than to pass down to kids etc. trying to identify now what will be rare in a few years, those goalkeeper shirts a probably a good example and this years one off white sleeves

14 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

SL has no interest in the merch situation - it’s been woeful for too many years to be an accident. 

Then he's a fool if that's the case if they get it right it's a massive pull regards to income but its been far to amateurish over the years.

If they want an example follow Arsenals lead there Merchandise selection is quality.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Nice shirt! Did it not have the Robin badge then though? 

I still got the shirt with the Lancer Scott logo on the front and making Bristol proud on the right-hand shoulder. Size 4XL. Every time I get back to the UK I purchase from the city shop. My grand kids in Darwin wear City shirts on top off their body safety gear when doing motor cross.

Be proud when wearing a city shirt, no matter where you live or how much shit you get from others or what era it relates too,

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

17 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Thinking out loud, is there a conflict between sponsors if we were to roll out retro shirts? Perhaps the bigger clubs who do it well, Liverpool, West Ham, Tottenham I've seen mentioned, have better relationships and ability to front up the cost of getting those permissions etc. 

If you were Huboo and you'd just spent half a million quid per season on getting your business on the shirts of Bristol City you'd probably be fairly miffed if half our fans spent £30 on one with Hireite, Blackthorn or DAS on the front. 

I think these things are a bit more nuanced and complicated than simply "the fans would like this so do it". If you know what I mean? I think, considering Jon's obsession with retro kits over the last few years, the powers that be would like to do it, but it might not be either possible or financially viable. Let's not forget how bad our accounts are still... profit remains king until thats fixed, however distasteful that feels.

There shouldn’t be an issue. Birmingham released some really nice retro kits this season with the old sponsors on. We’ve done it in recent years, I own a replica Hirerite shirt.

Have said this a few times but it makes much more sense to just sell copies of the retro shirts everyone wants and then focus on making nice, original home and away shirts rather than redoing an old shirt every season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

The issue is, Arsenal have a 60000 seat stadium and attract thousands of non local fans every match day. Comparing our outputs to big clubs isn't fair.

It'd be more interesting to see how we compare yo clubs of a similar size and level. I can't comment, but I presume our club shop merch is comparable to say, Stoke or Birmingham.

The issue as ever is if the club buys the stuff and nobody buys it, that's a loss for the club. A loss we can't tolerate when you consider the bigger financial picture. 

I've seen posts about a City themed Cycling outfit recently. To make that cost effective we'd need to order in the hundreds. I can't see hundreds of City fans wanting to wear expensive lycra emblazoned with the Robin, so to provide that would in all likelihood incur a loss.

That's not to say that the club shop is being run to its potential, I just don't think there's a case to criticise it based on the standards set by the biggest clubs in the world. We ain't that and unfortunately never will be. 

Our range is nowhere near what Stoke offer. The range we offer has been a joke for years and shows no sign of improving. 

https://store.stokecityfc.com/fashion

I even found these on line. Why we can’t do something similar is beyond me 

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/24624833-bristol-city-robin?feed_sku=24624833D1V&feed_country=GB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=[G]+[G.EUR]+[L.ENG]+[GEN]+[C.TShirts]+[PLF]&utm_id=notset&utm_content=bristol+city+f.c.&ar_clx=yes&ar_channel=google&ar_campaign=71700000111460818&ar_adgroup=&ar_ad=&ar_strategy=search&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[G]+[G.GBR]+[L.ENG]+[GEN]+[C.TShirts]+[PMAX]&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqNqkBhDlARIsAFaxvwyV564rJnIQ1hlRtJyA5SDTawTl7Se5WY-wXn2r####-anbBiDSrWIaAtb1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Bristol-city-s-by-IsWhatIGot/124930063.IJ6L0?country_code=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqNqkBhDlARIsAFaxvwzxwuykjTdIv7u8GLxJcbI_gfAt2p8QMt6QuJtJfmjXoonH33JzGcQaAr_wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 3

On 23/06/2023 at 18:44, City Rocker said:

Toffs still selling them, I've had this one for over 10 years, stylish, brilliant quality and will never go out of date. 

1549.webp

I was going to get one of these but the badge is hopelessly inaccurate.

This is what it should be like ( not a good quality image I know). 

EF-pOyQXYAI-WdU.jpg

On 24/06/2023 at 08:58, Street red said:

Then he's a fool if that's the case if they get it right it's a massive pull regards to income but its been far to amateurish over the years.

If they want an example follow Arsenals lead there Merchandise selection is quality.

And then it isn't :laugh:. 

This shirt will go up in value if you can get hold of one. 

https://talksport.com/football/1474317/new-arsenal-shirts-stopped-design-blunder/#Echobox=1687346204

Tbf I can “get” the club not stocking loads of leisure T shirts, polos etc. I’d think they appeal to a smaller section of the fanbase, and crucially, when anything is “fashion” driven it will go out of style and have a shorter shelf life.

Which is why proper retro shirts is a no brainer. They are an “enduring” item stock wise and don’t ever need to be redesigned/sold off at a loss. I think even Rovers do them and in most club shops I’ve been in recently there is a range/area specifically for retro. It makes pretty good commercial sense IMO and as we’re so keen on the “callback” in our kit designs, I’m surprised we don’t do them.

• Like 3

On 23/06/2023 at 18:44, City Rocker said:

1549.webp

I have the 1974/74 long sleeved shirt which is similarly about 10 years old and still in good condition. However I wish I had bought the short sleeved one as it could be worn more during summer. You might just have convinced me to maybe get one!

I have looked at the 1976-78 shirts before but the picture makes it look a bit shiny which they were not.

• Like 1