IGNORED

Based on current squad- starting 11 for PNE

TommyD68

On 30/06/2023 at 11:19, Firstyardleftinbed said:

This is what I think Nige will end up going with for the first game (barring injuries etc). Possibly Bell instead of Mehmeti and Tanner instead of McCrorie but think he'll go with the new signings to try and bed them in. Sounds like Scott will be gone by then as well but this allows us to get Weimann in a more central position where he is so much more effective than out wide. As a few people on here have already said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Conway gets on this year, think him and Pring will be the next ones on the radar of Prem clubs.

image.png.237e0c89d2ec1e83bee8e6126d35a613.png

Unless Scott stays or one of the academy lads has really impressed and come on leaps and bounds midfield looks a little weak in my eyes ( Williams injury record + James age ) just an observation not being negative 

45 minutes ago, redkev said:

Unless Scott stays or one of the academy lads has really impressed and come on leaps and bounds midfield looks a little weak in my eyes ( Williams injury record + James age ) just an observation not being negative 

Hence why we’re in the market for Knight. And then another CM or probably two if Scott goes 

• Like 2

On 30/06/2023 at 11:19, Firstyardleftinbed said:

This is what I think Nige will end up going with for the first game (barring injuries etc). Possibly Bell instead of Mehmeti and Tanner instead of McCrorie but think he'll go with the new signings to try and bed them in. Sounds like Scott will be gone by then as well but this allows us to get Weimann in a more central position where he is so much more effective than out wide. As a few people on here have already said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Conway gets on this year, think him and Pring will be the next ones on the radar of Prem clubs.

image.png.237e0c89d2ec1e83bee8e6126d35a613.png

I quite like this in lots of ways, but think we need someone giving defenders a physically hard time to relieve pressure on TC as a lone front man. Despite his detractors, currently only Cornick really fits that description (up to a point, more awkward to play against, than hugely physical), which is why I’d expect a striker to be part of the Scott spending spree, if he goes. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hence why we’re in the market for Knight. And then another CM or probably two if Scott goes 

I just hope the ongoing situation with Scott doesn’t slow down the process , personally I would just bite the bullet and go get knight if we are serious about him surely we can’t be too far off there valuation. 
I know it’s not Scott or the clubs fault I just wish someone just comes in £20m off he goes and we all know where we are .

I personally think the club would except £20m ( dependant on how it’s all paid etc etc )

ideally love him to stay but until that window shuts we’re all gonna be looking over our shoulder so to speak .

15 minutes ago, redkev said:

I just hope the ongoing situation with Scott doesn’t slow down the process , personally I would just bite the bullet and go get knight if we are serious about him surely we can’t be too far off there valuation. 
I know it’s not Scott or the clubs fault I just wish someone just comes in £20m off he goes and we all know where we are .

I personally think the club would except £20m ( dependant on how it’s all paid etc etc )

ideally love him to stay but until that window shuts we’re all gonna be looking over our shoulder so to speak .

Nige has said getting Knight isn’t dependent on Scott going.

Would be surprised if Knight dragged on.  Not in anyone’s best interests for this to go on beyond next week.  It’ll come to a head this week imho, one way or another.  Speculation, but we may well have respects his wish to have some time off.

I think we want to hold into him.  We’ve been able to recruit good targets (so far) for minimal outlay, so not dependent on selling Scott.  Maybe Alex has seen what is going on and thinks giving us this season is a good option?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige has said getting Knight isn’t dependent on Scott going.

Would be surprised if Knight dragged on.  Not in anyone’s best interests for this to go on beyond next week.  It’ll come to a head this week imho, one way or another.  Speculation, but we may well have respects his wish to have some time off.

I think we want to hold into him.  We’ve been able to recruit good targets (so far) for minimal outlay, so not dependent on selling Scott.  Maybe Alex has seen what is going on and thinks giving us this season is a good option?

Let’s hope so Dave , watching clips of them in Austria he certainly looks happy enough and focused ?

20 hours ago, redkev said:

Harsh on Zak thought he was superb last season , but that’s what a stronger squad does 

Agree, it would be harsh on Zak and Tanner but definitely one of those nice problems to have.

It could be that Zak plays and Naismith moves in to midfield instead of Williams, I think a lot depends on how good Williams looks in pre season. There have been times where Williams has looked like the sort of box to box midfielder we've been missing for years but I though he was mostly pretty poor last year.

20 hours ago, redkev said:

Yeah, I agree with that. Scott would be in there somewhere assuming he stays and it's a big season for Williams. Would prefer to see Scott as one of the deeper midfielders though, despite all his ability on the ball I didnt think he looked as comfortable when played further forward last year

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

My mate at Preston is concerned that they don't have many players! Bet they still beat us though ?

I am honestly expecting a 2 or 3 Nil home win. Our squad looks bang up for it and ready to go

Normally that means a 2 or 3 Nil away win though like Millwall and Ipswich a few years ago

Edited by cidercity1987

O’Leary 

McCorrie      Vyner      Dickie      Pring

James

Scott                Knight 

Sykes                                              Wiemann

Conway 

Bajec, Naismith, tanner, Williams, memetti,

Bell, Wells.

quite a strong 18 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I am honestly expecting a 2 or 3 Nil home win. Our squad looks bang up for it and ready to go

Normally that means a 2 or 3 Nil away win though like Millwall and Ipswich a few years ago

We are getting better against Preston, but up until recently they've been a bit of a bogey team for us, that's what I meant really. ?. But yes we seem to have players in early so maybe it's our year to 'hit the ground running' at last.

On 10/07/2023 at 11:29, RedM said:

My mate at Preston is concerned that they don't have many players! Bet they still beat us though ?

Think they've now made some decent signings ,Layton Stewart from Liverpool and Mads Frokjaer Jenson. With possibly Tom Cannon returning on loan, I see them giving us a good competitive workout 1-1

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1

Round pegs in round holes for me. I couldn't decide between starting Wells or Sykes.

subs

Bajic

Wells 

Weimann

Dickie

Mehmeti (if Scott is still here)

Tanner

Williams

King

Cornick

lineup.png

Squad looking very strong I must say. Even stronger when big Rob and Benarous are available.

Edited by Ska Junkie

Max

Mcrorie Vyner Dickie Pring

James  Knight 

Cornick     Weimann      Bell

Conway

Sub A Goalie, Tanner, Roberts, Naismith, Williams, King, Sykes, Wells, Mehmeti 

Really difficult to read though.  Think Max, the CBs and Matty James are nailed on. All the other starting positions are highly debatable. The sign of a strong squad 

• Like 1

From watching 3 or 4 friendlies - at this stage I could only be ‘sure’ of 5, maybe 6 names of the starting line up at most at this stage:

MOL - Vyner - James - Knight surely pretty nailed on.

Dickie most likely LCB but could change with Naismith coming back. 

McCrorie - I’d imagine over Tanner and Pring over Roberts, although that’s tough on Roberts (wonder if we may see him played somewhere other than LB soon)

You’d imagine Conway gets the nod, but very tough on Wells.

Scott, will he be here? Presume not so who takes his place - Weimann or Williams - depending on where you want to see Knight playing more of the game. Probably Weimann. 

Bell vs. Mehmeti? Wouldn’t want to decide that.

Sykes for me hasn’t lit up preseason yet and Cornick has looked good, surely breathing down Sykes’ neck.

Fantastic to have so many options and this much competition for places. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Round pegs in round holes for me. I couldn't decide between starting Wells or Sykes.

subs

Bajic

Wells 

Weimann

Dickie

Mehmeti (if Scott is still here)

Tanner

Williams

King

Cornick

lineup.png

Squad looking very strong I must say. Even stronger when big Rob and Benarous are available.

You don't fancy big Dickie then ?

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

You don't fancy big Dickie then ?

Good player 01 but he's a 'righty' not a leftie. Cam is decent at LCB, we've already seen that and Roberts can deputise at LB so, to me at least, it makes sense to play Cam at LCB.

If your question was a sexual innuendo one. ooh matron! ?⛔

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Good player 01 but he's a 'righty' not a leftie. Cam is decent at LCB, we've already seen that and Roberts can deputise at LB so, to me at least, it makes sense to play Cam at LCB.

If your question was a sexual innuendo one. ooh matron! ?⛔

FWIW he played LCB2 all season in 18/19 with Curtis Nelson playing RCB2.

Really is too much made of having to have a left and right footer as CB partners.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't disagree Dave, only an opinion which I'm sure is not what Nige will do.

Yeah, not having a go at you SJ, just making an observation about a bit of sheep following on social media because Gary Owers said he looked a bit uncomfortable at LCB2.

I didn’t feel that way at all.

I decided to dig around! ?

• Like 2

I don’t understand this mcrorie over Tanner scenario , Tanner was excellent last season especially in the run in 

on what bases has mcrorie proved he is worth a place in front of Tanner , just because you are a new signing doesn’t mean you are a better player.

don’t get me wrong if he does perform better than Tanner then he plays simple , but on the limited minutes I have seen so far albeit friendlies I see no reason to put him in above Tanner 
just my thoughts 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, redkev said:

I don’t understand this mcrorie over Tanner scenario , Tanner was excellent last season especially in the run in 

on what bases has mcrorie proved he is worth a place in front of Tanner , just because you are a new signing doesn’t mean you are a better player.

don’t get me wrong if he does perform better than Tanner then he plays simple , but on the limited minutes I have seen so far albeit friendlies I see no reason to put him in above Tanner 
just my thoughts 

We're getting to the nitty gritty part of pre-season, I think the Exeter or Cheltenham games plus Portsmouth will define who plays RB. My choice would be Tanner at this time, but if McCrorie puts in a couple of great performances and Tanner doesn't, NP will probably go with McCrorie.

Nice to have the competition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

just my thoughts 

I feel very sorry for GT tbh. He's done nothing wrong whatsoever and will, probably lose his place in the team.

I put McCrorie in as us fans will want to see the new boys but I would be more than happy to see GT start at RB.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, not having a go at you SJ, just making an observation about a bit of sheep following on social media because Gary Owers said he looked a bit uncomfortable at LCB2.

I guess we will see what Nige does over the next friendly games Dave as I'm not sure he's started a Dickie / Vyner partnership in any of the pre season games yet, has he?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t feel that way at all.

I decided to dig around! ?

I don't mind a right footer at LCB or vice versa as long as the player can get his body positioning correct. Its easy to get the ball stuck under the feet sometimes if the body is not in the correct position to recieve the ball - didn't see that with Dickie and I never saw it with Kalas when he's played on the left. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We're getting to the nitty gritty part of pre-season, I think the Exeter or Cheltenham games plus Portsmouth will define who plays RB. My choice would be Tanner at this time, but if McCrorie puts in a couple of great performances and Tanner doesn't, NP will probably go with McCrorie.

Nice to have the competition.

Yep, for me there are a couple of places where it appears very close as to who’ll start:

RB - Tanner or McCrorie

RF - Cornick or Sykes

FWIW I think Bell has the edge on Mehmeti, even if I think over the season Mehmeti may have the greater impact.

Roberts has to kidnap Pring imho to get the LB slot!

If Scott is here I think James, Knight and Scott start.

• Like 2