IGNORED

Based on current squad- starting 11 for PNE

TommyD68

I was having a little think to myself last night and for the first time in a while I think the squad actually has multiple players for each position, making it quite hard to pick a starting 11! 

I also wonder if Weimann plays a bit better without the armband.. might be slightly harsh, but I wouldn’t mind seeing James captain next season and Vyner vice captain (provided he signs new deal). 

I think playing Scott and Weimann gives a bit of flexibility as they could both play either out wide or in the CAM role allowing them to interchange. Assuming Scott stays of course..  Which he might not, wishful thinking putting him in I think ?

That team would leave players like Wells, Mccorie, Roberts, Atkinson, Benarous, Cornick, Mehmeti, Williams etc all fighting it out to make the bench. Shaping up nicely! 

IMG_1419.thumb.png.a5eedde80e60a2fff090671ea92c244d.png

Who knows, I don't think we paid £2m for McCrorie to sit on the bench

As it stands I think Nige is looking at a 3-5-2 

We might also be expecting departures of Scott, Pring, maybe Vyner

I doubt Weimann will generally be a starter

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1

Max

McCrorie       Dickie        Naisimith      Pring

James      Scott

Sykes                  Conway                    Bell

Wells

Extremely harsh on Tanner but think McCrorie gives us more flexibility to tweak in game. Harsh on Weimann but think Bell finished the season well, has allegedly put a lot of work in during the off season and his pace is a real asset. Team feels more balanced than last season with a bit more physicality without compromising the pressing and energy. I prefer Naismith at CB and think having Dickie there will help but I don't see a scenario in which Vyner doesn't start first game (unless injured or sold). 

So hard to predict though when not everybody is even back for pre season yet and unknowns like Kalas/Scott, would be surprised if I've got more than 5 right in that starting lineup...                             

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Who knows, I don't think we paid £2m for McCrorie to sit on the bench

We might also be expecting departures of Scott, Pring, maybe Vyner

I doubt Weimann will generally be a starter

This may change your perspective on both formation and RM:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/ross-mccrorie-haydon-roberts-bristol-8556835

Particularly these bits..

“Both of them as full-backs,” Pearson said, when asked as to what positions he saw them playing, before adding of McCrorie. “I know he can play in midfield and at centre-back, his profile if you like in terms of what he gives us will be energy, he’s a good runner, he’s aggressive. I think he’s a decent signing for us, he really is.

“If you look at Ross, alright people might say he can play centre-back, yeah he can do but I’d like to see him rampaging down the pitch from a full-back position because he can do that but he likes defending too.

“He’ll have to dislodge George (Tanner) who finished the season very very well. I think this is what I was alluding to about players driving the competition.

Pearson’s preference for a 4-3-3 - and he referenced the system several times this week at the HPC - means Roberts probably won’t be stationed there, but after City failed to strike a deal with Joe Bryan and with Jay Dasilva’s departure to Coventry City, Cam Pring has some competition on a position he increasingly made his own.

• Like 1

I think it is less about a starting eleven and more about having a strong squad competing for places. I like Pearson’s recent interview where he said he would decide the team based on pre-season. 

I am sure all three signings have joined wanting to play but I hope and believe they will have to earn the right do so. I also think we are currently two or three signings away from the squad we need to ensure we do not risk being derailed by injury. As it stands I think injuries to James, Williams and Naismith at the same time would massively hit our first team but another defender and another midfielder could prevent that.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

As we are:

Max

McCrorie        Dickie                           Naismith       Pring

James                        Scott

Weimann

Sykes                      Conway                   Mehmeti         

Subs: Bajic, Vyner, Tanner, Roberts, Williams, Wells, Bell.

Just outside MD18: Wiles-Richards, Wilson, Atkinson (+), Taylor-Clarke, Benarous (+), Cornick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

This may change your perspective on both formation and RM:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/ross-mccrorie-haydon-roberts-bristol-8556835

Particularly these bits..

“Both of them as full-backs,” Pearson said, when asked as to what positions he saw them playing, before adding of McCrorie. “I know he can play in midfield and at centre-back, his profile if you like in terms of what he gives us will be energy, he’s a good runner, he’s aggressive. I think he’s a decent signing for us, he really is.

“If you look at Ross, alright people might say he can play centre-back, yeah he can do but I’d like to see him rampaging down the pitch from a full-back position because he can do that but he likes defending too.

“He’ll have to dislodge George (Tanner) who finished the season very very well. I think this is what I was alluding to about players driving the competition.

Pearson’s preference for a 4-3-3 - and he referenced the system several times this week at the HPC - means Roberts probably won’t be stationed there, but after City failed to strike a deal with Joe Bryan and with Jay Dasilva’s departure to Coventry City, Cam Pring has some competition on a position he increasingly made his own.

Thanks very much, I hadn't picked up on that

I'm glad we are sticking with 4-3-3

We have no idea yet who will still be here by August & who will have joined, who picks up a knock.

Too early to say.

As for saying anyone deserves to start based on last season they haven’t listened to Pearson yesterday, it depends on what you do in pre season, not what you did in April.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

Too early to say.

However if George Tanner is dropped to bench then will be pi**ed right off as he was quality last season and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

As Pearson said the other day, last season is done, it’s forgotten about. Tanner wouldn’t have been ‘dropped’ if he doesn’t start against Preston.

All that matters now is what happens between Monday just gone and the first game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

As Pearson said the other day, last season is done, it’s forgotten about. Tanner wouldn’t have been ‘dropped’ if he doesn’t start against Preston.

All that matters now is what happens between Monday just gone and the first game. 

And McCrorie is our biggest outlay in a very long time. A good few years. We obviously really rate him as a player. 

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

And McCrorie is our biggest outlay in a very long time. A good few years. We obviously really rate him as a player. 

That is true as well.

For too long we’ve been a cosy, nice club and I think fans have got used to it.

If we are to push on then we need to accept that whilst we think [player A] might have performed well last season, that’s not to say we can’t improve in that position. 

Edited by Betty Swallocks
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spudgun said:

Too early to say.

However if George Tanner is dropped to bench then will be pi**ed right off as he was quality last season and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Tanner was excellent for us last season IMO. Up to the new player to win his place.

Listen to what Pearson said on Monday.

Last season is irrelevant. We start from scratch, from Monday. That goes for everyone, whether that be Tanner, Scott or Lionel Messi.

Which is exactly how it should be - it's how you drive standards upwards. It’s a fundamental principle of any successful side. It's how you get rid of cosy, comfortable Bristol City and replace it with a proper team.

This has taken too long but finally we're getting somewhere. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Interesting given in his first interview with the club, McCrorie was very clear that his preferred position was centre back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

I’d even be more than happy to see us revert to 5-3-2.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why go back to 3 CB's? Our change in form last season was directly linked to moving away from 3 at the back.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We have no idea yet who will still be here by August & who will have joined, who picks up a knock.

Too early to say.

As for saying anyone deserves to start based on last season they haven’t listened to Pearson yesterday, it depends on what you do in pre season, not what you did in April.

17 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Listen to what Pearson said on Monday.

Last season is irrelevant. We start from scratch, from Monday. That goes for everyone, whether that be Tanner, Scott or Lionel Messi.

Which is exactly how it should be - it's how you drive standards upwards. It’s a fundamental principle of any successful side. It's how you get rid of cosy, comfortable Bristol City and replace it with a proper team.

This has taken too long but finally we're getting somewhere. 

He’ll have to dislodge George (Tanner) who finished the season very very well. I think this is what I was alluding to about players driving the competition.

Part of his interview. Of course it’s a fresh start

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting given in his first interview with the club, McCrorie was very clear that his preferred position was centre back!

Wouldn't say this is very clear he prefers to play centre back solely:

From his first interview on Robins TV:

My preferences is in defence, between centre-back and right back as that’s where I’ve played the majority of my football over the last few years. Obviously I can step into a couple of positions and be versatile.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I reckon he’s keeping Tanner on his toes, mate, trying to get him to kick on again - and there’s nothing wrong with that IMO. Competition for places drives success.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why go back to 3 CB's? Our change in form last season was directly linked to moving away from 3 at the back.

Except we found it more difficult to score goals, with only 1 up front. We have better players this season so a change is feasible, if unlikely. Tbh if you look at our results (not form) from the Swansea game onwards they really weren't that great. We had a little purple patch then results tailed off.

We improved going to a back 4 .
I'm sure Nige said he like 2 up top before, Wells & Conway worked really well together, probably the best pairing I've seen here for some time. 
He also mentioned missing Naismith's passing from that MF position.
I did start to wonder if a lot of selections and set ups were experimenting towards the end of the season, but one thing I'm fairly confident of, he will want us to be quite fluid. We have the players to be able to switch formations quite easily.

This far out I would guess we will play something like a 4-1-3-2 , but that is based on things mentioned months ago.