IGNORED

Does anyone know?

Robbored

Whether or not a player has much of a say when a bid for him is accepted by his club?

Obviously I’m thinking of Alex Scott as it’s very likely that City will receive bids that match the asking price. What if the player doesn’t want to go to that particular club tho?……….:dunno:

Can he simply refuse?  I’m assuming that he can refuse but I’m not familiar with legalities of transfers.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Whether or not a player has much of a say when a bid for him is accepted by his club?

Obviously I’m thinking of Alex Scott as it’s very likely that City will receive bids that match the asking price. What if the player doesn’t want to go to that particular club tho?……….:dunno:

Can he simply refuse?  I’m assuming that he can refuse but I’m not familiar with legalities of transfers.

Yes, a player can turn down a contract or even refuse to talk to a club

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Whilst under contract he can do what he wants I suppose.
Pretty simple when you think of it like that 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Who are baseball players actually contracted to? The team or the MLB itself?

Feels like in franchised sports, it's possible that you are contracted to the competition organiser in some way. 

In the NHL you can be traded anywhere without permission. But some players do sign no trade clauses and/or select specific teams they can only be traded to. The contract also carries over to the new team so they can't negotiate a new contract when they're traded to a new team until it expires.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Who are baseball players actually contracted to? The team or the MLB itself?

Feels like in franchised sports, it's possible that you are contracted to the competition organiser in some way. 

Don't know about MLB but in MLS players are contracted to the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Why then do most of the Rovers' new signings look like someone is pointing a gun at them off camera to make them hold up the shirt?

Because someone is pointing a gun at them off camera & making them hold up the shirt.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Have you checked the OS?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

You say that, but in baseball, players basically get traded without choice all the time.

That's sh**e American sport for you but are you really surprised? The slave trade still exists over the pond where countless people are paid peanuts and need to rely on tips to survive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Of course he can't refuse. He has to go, the BCFC coaching staff will handcuff him to the railings at the HPC until West Ham (or whoever) arrive to transport him to a 5 bed new build with gym,cinema room, and pool in Chigwell, there he will remain under house arrest and only allowed out to train, play, visit Spearmint Rhinos, get tattooed , or romp with potential wannabe wags on the make. Summer trips to Marbella, Vegas, and Dubai (to buy Rolex watches) are conditional on good behaviour.

All this info is freely available on the OS - do keep up.

Edited by CodeRed
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not sure if you’re on a wind up, players refuse transfers, loans all the time.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

No he can’t,if Elon musk bid 85 million because he wanted him to clean his crapper and occasionally have a kick about in the garden then Scott would just have to accept that’s the offer we excepted,what a bloody stupid question and I’ve asked a few 

• Haha 2

It's a case of law v reality.

Legally a player has a contract of employment with a club. The player provides services, and the club pays him for that. Both promise to do that for a set period of time. Other rights and obligations exist, but those are the main ones.

The basic law of contract says that you can change a contract if all parties agree and it's done in the same form as the original contract. This is why managers often leave by "mutual consent". The club/manager mutually consent to each other breaking their side of the contract.

With a player then, as a legal position (and assuming no special terms exist), the contract exists, and the club cannot terminate the contract unilaterally without being sued by the player and paying out the rest of the promised wages (and other benefits). This is fundamentally why transfer fees exist. A transfer "fee" is in effect the purchasing club compensating the selling club for its costs incurred when it breaks the contract with the player that moves. Hence a player with more years in his contract goes for a higher fee, and one with 0 years left leaves "on a free".

Now, in reality, if a club can not only cover its costs, but also make a profit in receiving such compensation, then it is actually in their interest to terminate the contract and "sell" the player. Here, if the player resists the move it does not accept the new contract he is being offered he will be in one of a few positions:

1. His employer is angry with him and so he falls out with them and they don't play him and he rots. Some players accept this option (Rodwell, Bogarde etc) and happily see out their contract, receiving payment, training, but happily being lost in the wilderness;

2. Technically I guess the club could terminate the contract, but they'd have to pay out the player under normal employment rules. Expensive, and pointless.

3. Maybe the contract is mutually terminated, at which point the player chances his arm and free agent.

Either way, it's clear why in reality the most attractive option for all parties is to transfer the player's registration to a new club. Hence the transfer market exists.

This is a simplified version. Agents, standard contract clauses, FIFA's regs, and other laws influence things, but this basic contract law underpins it all.

So in answer to @Robbored - yes he could legally refuse, but why on earth would be do that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1