IGNORED

Duncan Fergusson

Seems a bit odd on the timings. 
Vince has previously said he’s committed to Ferguson’s 5 year contract!! 
But there’s been a lot of change at FGR since his appointment. 
Steve Grieve was the DoF and he left in March. 
James Mooney was the COO and he left in May. 
Terry McPhilliips came in as the new Chief Scout. I’m 100% sure this was a Ferguson appointment as McPhillips is a mate of Tony Grant (Ferguson’s assistant). 
That suggested to me that they were still “all in” on Ferguson. As he was being allowed to bring in his own recruitment staff. 
Then, a new CEO arrives from New Zealand and a new DoF from Brentford. 
I think these 2 new figures have very differing views to Duncan’s and I think something must have happened behind the scenes in the last day or two to force their hand. Possibly a difference of opinion on recruitment I’d guess. I’d imagine, if they haven’t already, that Grant and McPhillips will also be leaving, as Dunc brought them both in. 

And so, for the 3rd time in a year, it’s back to the drawing board for FGR. 
I really enjoyed watching that L2 promotion team, a little over 14 months ago and now it’s all gone to pot! 

And their current squad will struggle in L2. They need a new manager and a new recruitment plan asap! 

Edited by Harry
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Seems likely it’s a disagreement with the board then. 

As someone who did not grow up watching him as a player, I’m failing to see the fascination with Big Dunc as a manager. 

As someone who I suspect is a good deal older than you and followed his career closely as a Scot, I think it’s fair to say Big Dunc was a ‘character’.

He had a decent career but is probably best known for going to prison as the first player in the UK to be found guilty of assault of another player during a game. He was playing for Rangers at the time and the SFA refused to step in. If memory serves I think he spent 6 weeks in Barlinne prison in Glasgow. It makes Strangeways look like a holiday camp in comparison. As a result he refused to play for Scotland again.

Off the field, in his first spell at Everton, two individuals decided unwisely to break into Duncs house.It was a decision they came to regret prior to the police arriving.

He is hero worshipped at Everton and I suspect will end up back there in some capacity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

As someone who I suspect is a good deal older than you and followed his career closely as a Scot, I think it’s fair to say Big Dunc was a ‘character’.

He had a decent career but is probably best known for going to prison as the first player in the UK to be found guilty of assault of another player during a game. He was playing for Rangers at the time and the SFA refused to step in. If memory serves I think he spent 6 weeks in Barlinne prison in Glasgow. It makes Strangeways look like a holiday camp in comparison. As a result he refused to play for Scotland again.

Off the field, in his first spell at Everton, two individuals decided unwisely to break into Duncs house.It was a decision they came to regret prior to the police arriving.

He is hero worshipped at Everton and I suspect will end up back there in some capacity.

Very much appreciate the post and opinion. I do remember hearing him and these two stories on the radio, very much a character! 

As a Scot do you see him as a manager? From only seeing him on the touchline, I feel like a lot of people’s perception of his managerial potential is based of his footballing career/character, and not based on his managerial attributes.

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seems a bit odd on the timings. 
Vince has previously said he’s committed to Ferguson’s 5 year contract!! 
But there’s been a lot of change at FGR since his appointment. 
Steve Grieve was the DoF and he left in March. 
James Mooney was the COO and he left in May. 
Terry McPhilliips came in as the new Chief Scout. I’m 100% sure this was a Ferguson appointment as McPhillips is a mate of Tony Grant (Ferguson’s assistant). 
That suggested to me that they were still “all in” on Ferguson. As he was being allowed to bring in his own recruitment staff. 
Then, a new CEO arrives from New Zealand and a new DoF from Brentford. 
I think these 2 new figures have very differing views to Duncan’s and I think something must have happened behind the scenes in the last day or two to force their hand. Possibly a difference of opinion on recruitment I’d guess. I’d imagine, if they haven’t already, that Grant and McPhillips will also be leaving, as Dunc brought them both in. 

And so, for the 3rd time in a year, it’s back to the drawing board for FGR. 
I really enjoyed watching that L2 promotion team, a little over 14 months ago and now it’s all gone to pot! 

And their current squad will struggle in L2. They need a new manager and a new recruitment plan asap! 

Yeah going to be tough next season unless the right manager comes in.

I know 3 season ticket holders from last season who are all not renewing. None of them can stand Vince.

16 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Hannah Dingley in charge, albeit temporarily. The first woman to take charge of a men’s team. 

Certainly an interesting move, head of academy but has her pro licence, emphases that its a very recent development as it says while the search for a new head coach is conducted.

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Hannah Dingley in charge, albeit temporarily. The first woman to take charge of a men’s team. 

Fair play to her and I hope she does well, but I suspect this is reason big Duncan was sack, so vance can grab headlines telling him he's progressive and inclusive,

Now I don't want to take away from hannah and I generally hope she does a good job, 

• Like 1

Always thought 1st woman manager would be internal through Academy.  Familiarity to the club and staffs' familiarity with her will allow all concerned to deal with the inevitable outside noise as best they can.  Also helps that the club isn't in London or Manchester where she'd get far more of the national spotlight.

Suspect she'll do well

• Like 2

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of news about how long she is expected to be in place. Caretaker & Interim mentioned in the stories I've seen, she's been there as a coach for a while and in charge of the Academy , so she already knows the Club. At least that means no culture shock when it comes to trying to get a  "Full English".
I wonder if they just let it go for a while and see how it's working out, it at least gives them time to look around if they want to. 
An interesting story, I really want to get up there this year.

I am sure when this was discussed around the time of the last big Womens tournament, that quite of few had FGR down as the first club to go for a female coach. 

I guess the real test is how much the players respect her, if she shows she knows her stuff she will be fine.

They were very busy in the January transfer window buying 7 players and bring in another 4 on loan, so they had a go and staying in the league although if anything they got worse winning only once. It looks like a few of their experienced/key players were keen to get out in Jan too and would be interesting to know the reasons. Now they are in League 2 it seems a hard task turning them into a winning side again, surprised Dunc left now but was half expecting a poor start and for things to turn sour a month or so in. Sounds like with the board appointments too I guess there could be people tinkering trying to bring about longer term culture change so seems from the outside that it's a chaotic place to be right now, whoever is in charge would do well to stop the freefall and a boring midtable finish would probably be a decent season.

This is typical Dale Vince, he loves to do things differently and it wouldn't surprise me if this appointment is made permanent - depends on the player's I suppose.

Dale Vince "It’s perhaps telling for the men’s game that in making this appointment on merit, we’ll break new ground - and Hannah will be the first female Head Coach in English (men’s) football." 

• Admin
41 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Will be fascinating to see how this plays out - is she caretaker just for pre-season or will she be given a run of matches at the start of the season I wonder? Wish her luck regardless, cool move from FGR. 

At the moment she's just taking charge against Melksham in a friendly this evening 

Dale Vince is very shrewd in getting headlines around his club and has generated a lot of publicity already 

As long as she's judged on her footballing ability everyone will surely wish her well

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

If I could guess a club who’d appoint the first female coach, then FGR would be up there. Something about their Chairman and the public eye. Cynical I know. 

Wish her the best of luck. 

He does like to be pioneering, with the vegan food, new stadium plans etc, so if there's an opportunity to become the first pro club to appoint a female manager who has all of the necessary qualifications then they would absolutely be the team to do it.  Would open the door for other extremely qualified female coaches as well.  I don't view it with the same cynicism as you and think it'd be great if she started the season in charge and started really well.

It was always bound to happen sometime because there's no real reason for it not to.  There will come a time that women who follow in future would be rightly thought of and referred to simply as manager, not female manager.   Just like Phil Neville was "manager" of the England Ladies rather than the "male manager" of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Fair play to her and I hope she does well, but I suspect this is reason big Duncan was sack, so vance can grab headlines telling him he's progressive and inclusive,

Now I don't want to take away from hannah and I generally hope she does a good job, 

My suspicions are 1) he had a terrible record last season and 2) he had a terrible record last season! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1