IGNORED

Duncan Fergusson

13 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Very much appreciate the post and opinion. I do remember hearing him and these two stories on the radio, very much a character! 

As a Scot do you see him as a manager? From only seeing him on the touchline, I feel like a lot of people’s perception of his managerial potential is based of his footballing career/character, and not based on his managerial attributes.

Hello mate. Personally I think he would be a great motivator - witness his time as caretaker at Everton but I don’t see him as particularly tactical aware, which is important nowadays.

Simple question I always ask myself, would I want him here? Answer no.

Maybe in a few years that opinion could change but I think he would be a better coach than a manager.

Think he could do well in an academy structure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Hello mate. Personally I think he would be a great motivator - witness his time as caretaker at Everton but I don’t see him as particularly tactical aware, which is important nowadays.

Simple question I always ask myself, would I want him here? Answer no.

Maybe in a few years that opinion could change but I think he would be a better coach than a manager.

Think he could do well in an academy structure 

Can’t recall his interviews at Everton as caretaker, but can’t say I was hugely impressed by his interviews at FGR.

The lazy conclusion is he’s a tub-thumper because of his playing-days style and isn’t a tactician.  I’m not sure he dispelled that in his time at FGR though!!!

Although playing personnel wise they were a bit of a mess.  They never recovered from losing Wilson, Cadden and Matt, together with the long-term injury to 21/22’s top scorer Stevens.  Instead of improving on their Lg2 side, they became worse.  Burchill didn’t do very well, but they were still in the mix when he was sacked.  Big Dunc came in, but they’d already appointed a new HoR (as Harry alluded to).  He’d come from St Johnstone.  He openly admitted he struggled with understanding how competitive Lg1 was, had assumed it was like Scottish Championship (T2), and therefore his recruiting level was flawed.  That didn’t help.

Hope they get themselves sorted.  The more South West teams the better imho.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t recall his interviews at Everton as caretaker, but can’t say I was hugely impressed by his interviews at FGR.

The lazy conclusion is he’s a tub-thumper because of his playing-days style and isn’t a tactician.  I’m not sure he dispelled that in his time at FGR though!!!

Although playing personnel wise they were a bit of a mess.  They never recovered from losing Wilson, Cadden and Matt, together with the long-term injury to 21/22’s top scorer Stevens.  Instead of improving on their Lg2 side, they became worse.  Burchill didn’t do very well, but they were still in the mix when he was sacked.  Big Dunc came in, but they’d already appointed a new HoR (as Harry alluded to).  He’d come from St Johnstone.  He openly admitted he struggled with understanding how competitive Lg1 was, had assumed it was like Scottish Championship (T2), and therefore his recruiting level was flawed.  That didn’t help.

Hope they get themselves sorted.  The more South West teams the better imho.

Weeeellllllllll.......maybe we could do with losing one of them.......

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Carlo clearly respects him, be funny if he takes him to coach the Brazilian side, that would be a wake up call to the fgr chairman! 

I did read an interview with Dunc where he stated that Carlo wanted him to go to Madrid with him.

On a slight aside I find it odd that one of his assistants at Madrid and indeed previously at Everton, is his son.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harry said:

Seems a bit odd on the timings. 
Vince has previously said he’s committed to Ferguson’s 5 year contract!! 
But there’s been a lot of change at FGR since his appointment. 
Steve Grieve was the DoF and he left in March. 
James Mooney was the COO and he left in May. 
Terry McPhilliips came in as the new Chief Scout. I’m 100% sure this was a Ferguson appointment as McPhillips is a mate of Tony Grant (Ferguson’s assistant). 
That suggested to me that they were still “all in” on Ferguson. As he was being allowed to bring in his own recruitment staff. 
Then, a new CEO arrives from New Zealand and a new DoF from Brentford. 
I think these 2 new figures have very differing views to Duncan’s and I think something must have happened behind the scenes in the last day or two to force their hand. Possibly a difference of opinion on recruitment I’d guess. I’d imagine, if they haven’t already, that Grant and McPhillips will also be leaving, as Dunc brought them both in. 

And so, for the 3rd time in a year, it’s back to the drawing board for FGR. 
I really enjoyed watching that L2 promotion team, a little over 14 months ago and now it’s all gone to pot! 

And their current squad will struggle in L2. They need a new manager and a new recruitment plan asap! 

He's a tree hugging, headline grabber

• Like 1

I’m someone quite close to FGR and it’s interesting to read some of the opinions on here. 
‘Dunc’ was sacked because he was way out of his comfort zone. He showed absolutely nothing in his time there that he would have any inkling as to how to turn it around. 
I attended their fans forum back in March and, whilst Dunc was very good with the fans, a thoroughly likeable bloke and very personable, he didn’t come across as having much understanding of the rigours of League 1, and even less so League 2. 

I believe he is a very good coach, and that’s no doubt a proven fact, given his experience and the fact that top managers rate him, but being a good coach and being a good manager are very very different things. 
And even more so where he’s jumped into a manager role at a lower league club in free fall! I honestly don’t think he had a clue how to fix things. From his answers at that forum, he seemed very surprised at the drop-off in quality from the players he’d been familiar with coaching to the players he now had at his disposal. 

Exacerbated by the fact that the club were already in free fall. The sudden departures of the manager and head of recruitment late into the summer 2022 break, the poor recruitment from Burchinall, the loss of key players, and then the disastrous appointment of the new recruitment head Grieve and his complete lack of understanding of the level required - some of his signings in Jan were terrible. 
You suddenly had a recruitment bloke bringing in sub standard players to an already sub standard squad, being managed by a bloke with no idea how to manage these level of players. 
Many rumours of players not doing what Dunc demanded of them, not showing up in training etc. Whilst Dunc is a seriously imposing figure, it didn’t look like he had any level of control or respect in the squad. 

As for Hannah Dingley. Well, by all accounts from people I know at the club she’s been a huge success in the academy. She’s also one of the most qualified coaches in the country (top 400 apparently according to qualifications). 
Will be interesting to see how this shapes up. But the club have done a complete 180 from where they were in May 2022 and it’s gonna take a while to rebuild it. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m someone quite close to FGR and it’s interesting to read some of the opinions on here. 
‘Dunc’ was sacked because he was way out of his comfort zone. He showed absolutely nothing in his time there that he would have any inkling as to how to turn it around. 
I attended their fans forum back in March and, whilst Dunc was very good with the fans, a thoroughly likeable bloke and very personable, he didn’t come across as having much understanding of the rigours of League 1, and even less so League 2. 

I believe he is a very good coach, and that’s no doubt a proven fact, given his experience and the fact that top managers rate him, but being a good coach and being a good manager are very very different things. 
And even more so where he’s jumped into a manager role at a lower league club in free fall! I honestly don’t think he had a clue how to fix things. From his answers at that forum, he seemed very surprised at the drop-off in quality from the players he’d been familiar with coaching to the players he now had at his disposal. 

Exacerbated by the fact that the club were already in free fall. The sudden departures of the manager and head of recruitment late into the summer 2022 break, the poor recruitment from Burchinall, the loss of key players, and then the disastrous appointment of the new recruitment head Grieve and his complete lack of understanding of the level required - some of his signings in Jan were terrible. 
You suddenly had a recruitment bloke bringing in sub standard players to an already sub standard squad, being managed by a bloke with no idea how to manage these level of players. 
Many rumours of players not doing what Dunc demanded of them, not showing up in training etc. Whilst Dunc is a seriously imposing figure, it didn’t look like he had any level of control or respect in the squad. 

As for Hannah Dingley. Well, by all accounts from people I know at the club she’s been a huge success in the academy. She’s also one of the most qualified coaches in the country (top 400 apparently according to qualifications). 
Will be interesting to see how this shapes up. But the club have done a complete 180 from where they were in May 2022 and it’s gonna take a while to rebuild it. 

Who would’ve you liked over Hannah?

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m happy with her appointment to be fair. 

Fair…

now here’s a debate, looking at this appointment, will we see a new Rooney rule including women?

will we have more women in charge of football clubs then people of colour? In say 5 years? 

29 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Fair…

now here’s a debate, looking at this appointment, will we see a new Rooney rule including women?

That would be ridiculous. For starters, there’s very few women, currently working in the men’s game, so there’s hardly any to choose from

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

That would be ridiculous. For starters, there’s very few women, currently working in the men’s game, so there’s hardly any to choose from

This appointment could prove a trend setter, might not be now but say she’s successful then it may put something out there for others?

17 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

This appointment could prove a trend setter, might not be now but say she’s successful then it may put something out there for others?

For her, it makes sense. She’s worked her way up and has coached men. 

Don’t think there’s many like her tho 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Unlikely as she has not had a pro licence long enough to gain the additional diploma level. 

• Like 1

Dingley has been appointed as caretaker. Well done to her but FGR are actively looking for someone else to do the job they've given her. She's not even automatically in the frame for that job according to Vince. It's not quite the enormous step forward for all women everywhere that some seem to be saying it is.

Screenshot_20230706-124117.png

Edited by ExiledAjax

• Admin
On 05/07/2023 at 19:27, Harry said:

If you are close to FGR you will know why he was sacked 

You'd also know why DV got himself in trouble last December 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

If you are close to FGR you will know why he was sacked 

You'd also know why DV got himself in trouble last December 

I dont know about Harry, I used to be close but I don't know anyone on the inside these days. I bailed out when DV changed the club colours from black&white to Ecotricity green. As per Cardiff there are some things you just don't mess with.

All I've heard is rumours of a training ground bust up and/or DF and the new DoF being on different planets.

I'm racking my brains about DV last December, do you mean the Palestinian flag thing?

I have very little to do with the club these days but did go to the Fans Forum with DV and DF in March for the want of anything else to do of an evening. DF came across as very amiable and positive but clueless as regards to modern lower league football.

One thing that did shock me was that someone suggested from the floor that they appeared to have signed the worst centre-forward and goalkeeper in the world (Bakayoko and Doohan signed by new HoR Steve Grieve in January). Vince smiled and said something along the lines of 'there are some in the club that wouldn't disagree with that'! I thought, blimey that ought to do wonders for their confidence!. The whole Forum is on YouTube if anyone is interested. To be fair, both players have been utter shite apparently but...

It's certainly been a soap opera for the last 12 months and has helped keep me sane through some difficult times!

• Like 3