IGNORED

Scott money - What’s required?

AshtonRobin21

As we face the reality of losing the outstanding Alex Scott, I’m keen to get an insight into what everyone feels is required during the rest of the transfer window. 

The squad looks strong, but we our set to lose a vital piece of the puzzle. 

Personally, I can see at least 3 of the following:

- GK: competition is required for Max. 

- CB: One additional is required. If Naismith’s absence is injury related, then it’s vital that we have an additional Left Centre Back available within the squad. Still unsure if this will be an academy graduate. 

- CM: I can see us going down the more creative route (Attacking midfielder). Someone that could potentially interchange with Mehmeti. I believe that Khadra is still a possibility.

- ST: Goals. Simple as that. Conway is set for a big season, and Wells has the experience required. But Cornick seems more effective out wide (*opinion), which makes me believe we will try to secure some additional firepower.

Interested to see what everyone else thinks…

• Like 1

Said it elsewhere but not so fussed about striker at this juncture .

Otherwise GK, CB especially left footed and CM.

Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway tied down for longer if at all possible. Securing future further and zero book cost to worry about. (Contracts expire in 2024 for Vyner, the rest 2025).

Then one more perhaps marquee player if the price right in any position- and that may well be a striker tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

As we face the reality of losing the outstanding Alex Scott, I’m keen to get an insight into what everyone feels is required during the rest of the transfer window. 

agree…on the assumption that Bajic is off.

- CB: One additional is required. If Naismith’s absence is injury related, then it’s vital that we have an additional Left Centre Back available within the squad. Still unsure if this will be an academy graduate.

I think we need to be a bit more patience and see how pre-season pans out.  Roberts is more naturally a LCB even if Nige has said he’s a LB.  No need to rush into anything, because we don’t want to be bloated when Atkinson is back.

- CM: I can see us going down the more creative route (Attacking midfielder). Someone that could potentially interchange with Mehmeti. I believe that Khadra is still a possibility.

I think differently (that’s just me!).  We’ve plenty of attacking midfielders, or midfielders who can play in an attacking role: Weimann, Knight, Sykes, Mehmeti, Benarous (in time).  So, I’d be looking at a more conventional CM, another Joe Williams type per se).  I’d see if Villa were interested in moving on Tim Iroegbunam permanently…but I doubt they will.  Or maybe Jeando Fuchs at Peterborough, test their resolve…might want Rennie to cast his eye over him though for fitness issues.  Archie Collins was my “go-to” but he’s gone to Peterborough.

- ST: Goals. Simple as that. Conway is set for a big season, and Wells has the experience required. But Cornick seems more effective out wide (*opinion), which makes me believe we will try to secure some additional firepower.

I don’t, I’m probably in minority.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I really like the look of Araoye at Centre Back. He looks to have increased in muscle since last season. 

In regards to midfield, there will be many options. Collins is a player i appreciated, as was slightly shocked to see him go to Peterborough, as I felt he could make the step up to the championship. 

I quite like the idea of having another player similar to Knight in midfield. The energy to press the opposition, whilst having a player like James sitting as the ‘6’, could be an interesting dynamic. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Said it elsewhere but not so fussed about striker at this juncture .

Otherwise GK, CB especially left footed and CM.

Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway tied down for longer if at all possible. Securing future further and zero book cost to worry about. (Contracts expire in 2024 for Vyner, the rest 2025).

Then one more perhaps marquee player if the price right in any position- and that may well be a striker tbh.

Nigel doesn't seem to a marquee player type manager. Which is just as well because they are usually players whose performance doesn't match their reputation with some fans.

Remember when some on here wanted us to pay Boro £15m for Assombalonga? And who can forget the man who may have been the first so called marquee player on here - one Henri Lansbury?

Nigel seems to prefer to sign the right players rather than the briefly fashionable, overrated ones.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tin said:

Scott Twine or Lewis O’Brien would be great signings, but I suspect we’d have to break our wage structure to get them. 

Twine, good player, but I’m not quite sure where he’d fit in, more forward (deep lying / inside left(ish) type) than AM/10 imho.

An O’Brien mk2 but within our structure would be perfect.  Good shout though, just think he’s beyond us…shame.

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nigel doesn't seem to a marquee player type manager. Which is just as well because they are usually players whose performance doesn't match their reputation with some fans.

Remember when some on here wanted us to pay Boro £15m for Assombalonga? And who can forget the man who may have been the first so called marquee player on here - one Henri Lansbury?

Nigel seems to prefer to sign the right players rather than the briefly fashionable, overrated ones.

Oh that's fair, I wouldn't say go nuts financially with it and it would have to be for the right price.

Statement maybe a better term but a statement signing doesn't have to be an outright big name e.g.

22 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Agree on GK, given Bajic didn't play either half today would suggest he isn't part of the plans so this would be a priority.

If we have money to spend following his departure then i would like to see us bring in a couple of attacking players to cover the CAM/Winger/ST positions one being a "marquee" signing and maybe a Prem loan. Whilst we have plenty of options in thise areas i dont think we have a player that any of the bigger clubs in this division would be interested in, the likes of Weimann, Wells etc are decent enough, work hard and over the course of a season will ensure we are competitive but don't have the magic to push us on from there IMO.

Not fussed on another CB unless Vyner leaves as we have plenty if options already and Aroaye, Wood would be better value to cover the minimal number of minutes a 5th choice would need to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Think you've got it spot on tbh. 

There has been lots of links with strikers so to me that suggests it's an area we want to improve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh that's fair, I wouldn't say go nuts financially with it and it would have to be for the right price.

Statement maybe a better term but a statement signing doesn't have to be an outright big name e.g.

I see Jason Knight as a statement signing. No one's idea of a big name player but could not be more perfect for our needs. I'm still a bit surprised we got him, great business.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Think you've got it spot on tbh. 

There has been lots of links with strikers so to me that suggests it's an area we want to improve.

Who’s been linked? Jerry Yates, which seemed unlikely / re-hash of old interest???  Cole Palmer???  Al-Hamada???  Nisbet???

Goalkeeper and a central midfielder in the deeper role to compete with Williams and James assuming that Kal is going centre back we’ve got cover. Plenty of players in attacking options I don’t think we need to strengthen or we just block the pathway for the likes of Seb 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

A keeper 100% I like max but would love a really commanding goalkeeper . Centre half if naismith is off . Other than that a box to box midfielder . Think we’d have a bases covered then. 

• Like 4

CB, CM need. GK nice to have. I’m not worried about our forwards at all, 2 good players ready to go across each position of the front line. 

If we lose Scott and use the big old bags of money to land Cole Palmer on loan, I’d like that. Midfield options of James, Knight, Palmer (first choice); Williams, King, Weimann (second choice).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Not sure if we'd be able to get him due to availability, wages ect but I'd go for Alex Mowatt. Consistently a good player in the Championship at CM up until recent times. Can bag a few goals too.

If Bajics gone then another GK.

Horrible bastard as well, remember when at Barnsley he smashed massengo to bits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t you think Max is good enough to be our No.1?

I think in the spirit of only bringing in players that improve the squad we should be looking for an upgrade. If Max retains his place that's fine but I'd like us to aim high. 

My sentimental side does prefer homegrown players, but I don't think Nige worries about that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

A keeper 100% I like max but would love a really commanding goalkeeper . Centre half if naismith is off . Other than that a box to box midfielder . Think we’d have a bases covered then. 

Don’t mean to quote myself but I couldn’t edit . Keeper wise I really liked Nikki , can’t remember how to spell his surname . Should of been our no1 imo 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1