IGNORED

Scott money - What’s required?

AshtonRobin21

55 minutes ago, Better Red said:

It’s a bit early to say that.

We have barley seem him play.

He looked ok but in fairness to him he was very young. Played a few games and was sub a few times.

I am not saying he won’t make be a good player and hope he does

Just not sure we can really say either way at this stage.

The only worry for me is the two same injuries .

10 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Thought I would bump this one back up.

IF Nige has money to spend, what do we need? 

Goalkeeper. We're one injury away from Wiles-Richards being thrust into being the number 1, and currently Max is in his comfort zone regards the pecking order. It would be healthy all round to have a quality keeper to compete for the shirt (sorry Harv).

Centre back? We've got a fair bit of cover via versatile players like Naismith, McCrorie and Pring, plus Araoye looks good value for a place on the bench, so I'm not sure I'm too bothered about a CB.

Attacking Midfield. We seem to have four holding midfielders (plus OTC), but lacking a new no 8/10 with craft and vision and hopefully shooting boots too, so I'd look for one now.

Striker? I don't think we can reply on Wells alone during Conway's (and Weimann's) absence, so it depends if we consider Bell and/or Cornick to be adequate cover ?‍♂️

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Someone who replaces Scott, a number 8 style cm with legs to play alongside knight with either Williams,James,Naismith sat behind, saying that I don’t see us replacing either Scott or Conway . 

Was going to say something similar last night

9 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Don't think we'll be bringing anyone in unfortunately, right at the limit for wages even with Scott going.

I remember NP saying this but this feels like an artificial constraint if even still the case after Scott goes. (I get fees, cash flow, wages, amortisation (non-cash expense) could be seen as separate pots).

Hoping  that when NP said this there was a bit of poker or gamesmanship. Or it maybe it included a budgeted wage rise for key assets our of contract in the next couple of years.

Perhaps it included a theoretical Kalas renewal which now seems unlikely.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember NP saying this but this feels like an artificial constraint if even still the case after Scott goes. (I get fees, cash flow, wages, amortisation (non-cash expense) could be seen as separate pots).

Hoping  that when NP said this there was a bit of poker or gamesmanship. Or it maybe it included a budgeted wage rise for key assets our of contract in the next couple of years.

Perhaps it included a theoretical Kala renewal which now seems unlikely.

We aren't going to tell people we've got loads to spend and loads of room in the wage bill......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Don't think we'll be bringing anyone in unfortunately, right at the limit for wages even with Scott going.

You really believe that do you? 

What is said in the open isn’t necessarily always the truth. None of us know the wage budget but if the club have planned for Scott to go in this window and a particular valuation has been met the I would be very surprised if they haven’t got this scenario covered and we could still see a couple of additions 

I recall NP saying a few weeks ago on RB that there may be scope still to bring in players. I think that comment was very much linked to Scott being sold 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Goalkeeper. We're one injury away from Wiles-Richards being thrust into being the number 1, and currently Max is in his comfort zone regards the pecking order. It would be healthy all round to have a quality keeper to compete for the shirt (sorry Harv).

Centre back? We've got a fair bit of cover via versatile players like Naismith, McCrorie and Pring, plus Araoye looks good value for a place on the bench, so I'm not sure I'm too bothered about a CB.

Attacking Midfield. We seem to have four holding midfielders (plus OTC), but lacking a new no 8/10 with craft and vision and hopefully shooting boots too, so I'd look for one now.

Striker? I don't think we can reply on Wells alone during Conway's (and Weimann's) absence, so it depends if we consider Bell and/or Cornick to be adequate cover ?‍♂️

I reckon Pearson will leave MO’L as our only recognised keeper and should the worst happen he’d apply for an emergency loan.  Sure I read a something around the lines of emergency keepers and loans, that you can apply to use it if your reserve keeper hasn’t played a certain amount of league fixtures. 

3 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

If possible a GK, CB and CM. Maybe a striker, but those cost.

Those are the three positions I would say we could do with filling…well, at least 2 out of 3.

I don’t think we need a striker.  We have Wells, Bell and Cornick who can all play centrally, and we don’t know when Tommy is back either.  Nige won’t collect players!!! ?

It does seem from last nights interview that Naismith is seen as a midfielder, so that probably makes CB the biggest priority.  The biggest issue is what profile CB do you get?  A first-pick?  A Project / Succession-Plan?  A competitor?  With Naismith (contradict previous point), Roberts and McCrorie all able to play CB, maybe a CM should be the priority!

In Lloyd Grossman voice - “Brian, it’s over to you”.

Goalkeeper is a funny one…I don’t think it’s unkind to say Nige probably doesn’t plan to expose HWR, but if so, he should try to move on Bajic, to give him the emergency loan option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I reckon Pearson will leave MO’L as our only recognised keeper and should the worst happen he’d apply for an emergency loan.  Sure I read a something around the lines of emergency keepers and loans, that you can apply to use it if your reserve keeper hasn’t played a certain amount of league fixtures. 

See above, Bajic would negate that opportunity because of the appearances he’s made in France previously.

It's very easy.

Take the £20,000,000 'up front' fee, stick it in a high-street savings account paying 5% and get £1,000,000 a year in interest (we'll skip over the fact that tax and stuff applies).

Repeat this process another 30 times with all the other players we're developing and before you know it, a sustainable football club, just like SL said he wanted.

I don't see how this plan of mine can fail.

With the extra £5mil of add-ons, we can get a state of the art tannoy, donut exempt coffee and as many Man City lanyards as we want. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's very easy.

Take the £20,000,000 'up front' fee, stick it in a high-street savings account paying 5% and get £1,000,000 a year in interest (we'll skip over the fact that tax and stuff applies).

Repeat this process another 30 times with all the other players we're developing and before you know it, a sustainable football club, just like SL said he wanted.

I don't see how this plan of mine can fail.

With the extra £5mil of add-ons, we can get a state of the art tannoy, donut exempt coffee and as many Man City lanyards as we want. 

Lower interest after 25k ?

CB. Could we look at Tom Holmes out of Reading? 100 odd Championship appearances but still young, 2 years left on his deal might make them consider a sale at 'optimum price' like us with Scott. Solid injury record. 

He might want to return to the Championship and boost his wages so we could have him pushing from his end too to keep the price respectable. Any graphics @Davefevs?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Those are the three positions I would say we could do with filling…well, at least 2 out of 3.

I don’t think we need a striker.  We have Wells, Bell and Cornick who can all play centrally, and we don’t know when Tommy is back either.  Nige won’t collect players!!! ?

It does seem from last nights interview that Naismith is seen as a midfielder, so that probably makes CB the biggest priority.  The biggest issue is what profile CB do you get?  A first-pick?  A Project / Succession-Plan?  A competitor?  With Naismith (contradict previous point), Roberts and McCrorie all able to play CB, maybe a CM should be the priority!

In Lloyd Grossman voice - “Brian, it’s over to you”.

Goalkeeper is a funny one…I don’t think it’s unkind to say Nige probably doesn’t plan to expose HWR, but if so, he should try to move on Bajic, to give him the emergency loan option.

Priority for me is a CM in the creative mould. It's great having runners like Bell Conway Wells and Sykes but if you haven't got anyone who can play those defence splitting passes then it's a bit of a blunt tool. 
I don't think another first choice CB is required or after Christmas you have the same issue as if you buy another striker. Too many for not enough game time. We have depth now at CB with Naismith Roberts McCroirie Pring even Tanner at a push. If we lose all them then the HPC has likely disappeared into a sinkhole and we have bigger problems 

• Like 2

I'm not too bothered about a striker with one caveat being how long is Weimann out for.

We believe Conway is out for 12 weeks, any further detail on Weimann? If it's a while look at a 6 month loan perhaps. We have Wells but the competition and or cover is also quite important.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Priority for me is a CM in the creative mould. It's great having runners like Bell Conway Wells and Sykes but if you haven't got anyone who can play those defence splitting passes then it's a bit of a blunt tool. 

I thought Knight looked good there last night tbh, albeit against L1 opponents.

Personally, I can see Annis playing there, or Ayman when fit.

Edited by Ska Junkie