IGNORED

Scott money - What’s required?

AshtonRobin21

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

You could probably package Naismith with Atkinson and King with Williams to give us outfield capacity. Ayman and OTC are bonus backup players in midfield (although either or both could end up on loan).

I reckon both OTC and Benarous are at the “make it or move on” stage. Either or both could plausibly force their way into the picture in a major way but - if either ends up on loan, it probably means their moment won’t come under Pearson. I reckon both will stay and play a part this season. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Loan out Benarous are you sure?

Not for some time, he was exciting. Real shame about the injuries but I hope yes he may have been set back a bit but I hope he gets a proper chance albeit competition should be strong which again is no bad thing.

Is he CM or wider?

I liked him when he broke through and I'm hoping he can come back stronger from the injuries, but he realistically won't get much competitive gametime here.

• Hmmm 2

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon both OTC and Benarous are at the “make it or move on” stage. Either or both could plausibly force their way into the picture in a major way but - if either ends up on loan, it probably means their moment won’t come under Pearson. I reckon both will stay and play a part this season. 

If, if, if Benarous makes a full recovery, he is definitely one to keep. Showed he’s got what it takes in 21/22. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

I liked him when he broke through and I'm hoping he can come back stronger from the injuries, but he realistically won't get much competitive gametime here.

I don’t know why you would think that, youth do get a chance here and Pearson obviously thought very highly of him and probably still does now. Just a shame about the massive injury set backs. Clearly a very talented  player!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If, if, if Benarous makes a full recovery, he is definitely one to keep. Showed he’s got what it takes in 21/22. 

Absolutely agree. But, at same time, he has lost 18 months of football at a key age. I really hope he comes back fully recovered and ready to compete for game time and, if so, he is absolutely good enough. I just feel like him being moved out on loan (which I don’t personally think will happen) would be a sign that either his injuries or the signings we have made over the past two years mean that he is further from the first team picture than he was at the beginning of 22 and I think might be a sign he is drifting out of the picture - simply because Pearson hasn’t tended to loan out players he sees a pathway for.  This is very hypothetical though, obviously. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I don’t know why you would think that, youth do get a chance here and Pearson obviously thought very highly of him and probably still does now. Just a shame about the massive injury set backs. Clearly a very talented  player!

Yeah he's a player with fantastic potential. I can't see where gets a start in the team with the current depth that we have? 

On the left we have Mehmetti and Bell, and we have good numbers centrally.

If Benarous is on fire in pre-season he could potentially take Scott's role, but I'd say that's no more plausible than him struggling for minutes?

For me I worry less about cover, more about quality - so as Pearson has said many, many times - if we buy, it will be to improve.

I think the squad lacks physicality as an option in general - especially in the final third, so I’d look to add that option, somewhere across the front 3 - could be a forward, could be a wide player. And I’m not talking target man, I’m talking pace and power. Hard to find though.

The only other area I’d be looking to get more quality in, is CM.

James and King’s best years behind them in reality, add in Williams and potentially Naismith - injuries have and continue to be an issue. I’d guess on average this season, 2 of those 4 will be out injured. All good squad players, promotion material? Not IMO. 

That will be the priority.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

You could probably package Naismith with Atkinson and King with Williams to give us outfield capacity. Ayman and OTC are bonus backup players in midfield (although either or both could end up on loan).

Yepp, that's a fair way to look at it.

A combination of liking Naismith at CDM, and not wanting to rely too heavily on King, Benarous, or to a certain extent Williams (given injury issues), has led me to consider it in the way I have. 

• Like 2

I think we are average in most positions, I think we now have deeper depth but would still add to the squad. I  think the spine of the squad needs upgrades from goalkeeper to centre forward. I'm old enough to See us promoted through TC, Big Joe, Ward, Cotterill etc. But I don't think we are promotion candidates. I also don't think we are that far away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Yeah he's a player with fantastic potential. I can't see where gets a start in the team with the current depth that we have? 

On the left we have Mehmetti and Bell, and we have good numbers centrally.

If Benarous is on fire in pre-season he could potentially take Scott's role, but I'd say that's no more plausible than him struggling for minutes?

I get what your saying mozo but it’s still not a large squad, so I think he will play a part. It’s down to him to impress! Before the start of last season did you think Sam Bell would be classed as a genuine starter /  in contention every week? He took his chance against Swansea and had a good breakout season after that game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I get what your saying mozo but it’s still not a large squad, so I think he will play a part. It’s down to him to impress! Before the start of last season did you think Sam Bell would be classed as a genuine starter /  in contention every week? He took his chance against Swansea and had a good breakout season after that game.

You might be right and I hope so!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

For me I worry less about cover, more about quality - so as Pearson has said many, many times - if we buy, it will be to improve.

I think the squad lacks physicality as an option in general - especially in the final third, so I’d look to add that option, somewhere across the front 3 - could be a forward, could be a wide player. And I’m not talking target man, I’m talking pace and power. Hard to find though.

James and King’s best years behind them in reality, add in Williams and potentially Naismith - injuries have and continue to be an issue. I’d guess on average this season, 2 of those 4 will be out injured. All good squad players, promotion material? Not IMO. 

Excellent post ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elruliri said:

I think we are average in most positions, I think we now have deeper depth but would still add to the squad. I  think the spine of the squad needs upgrades from goalkeeper to centre forward. I'm old enough to See us promoted through TC, Big Joe, Ward, Cotterill etc. But I don't think we are promotion candidates. I also don't think we are that far away. 

When you talk promotion, not sure what can be done really to get us as top 2 contenders. We're good and likely to be good but not likely to get that good this season.

A tilt at the playoffs however. Maybe.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

yep, agree, I think the signings of Dickie, McCrorie and Knight so far do both of those.  Roberts is more “the project” which is fine.

Certainly addressed physicality at the back, but I do get where you’re coming from re final third.  I do think Cornick has been bought to do some if what you say.  At Luton that’s what he did, ungainly but effective.  We saw that on his full debut v PNE (I think) and also home to Boro.  Other games less so (I’ll leave it there).  Ideally we managed to get Ogbene but he’s gone to Luton (PL), and there aren’t many around like him, certainly not in budget, so it’s hard to get that player in (as you state).

James and King’s best years behind them in reality,

they are, but in James’s case his non-best is still plenty good enough for us and the direction we are going.

add in Williams and potentially Naismith - injuries have and continue to be an issue. I’d guess on average this season, 2 of those 4 will be out injured. All good squad players, promotion material? Not IMO. 

I do think Knight has been signed to cover a lot of bases.  Scott started yesterday as a CM (where I think he’s best for us - not where he might be for another team), and Knight started AM/10 in a different half, so we still aren’t clear who Nige is planning to play where.  Another Williams type (upgrade?) would be perfect imho.

A few comments above.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Elruliri said:

You are correct that the spine of any club that wants to be challenging at the top end, is of prime importance. Every promotion team that I've seen had a core of solid keeper, central defender(s), midfield supremo and a recognised and regular goal scorer.

I am of the opinion that we will be playing our football in the other(upper) half of the Championship than the last three years.

Whether we get to the top six or top two remains to be seen.

PS. Personally I believe that we are going to surprise and upset quite a few clubs this season.

• Like 1

A signing to keep the fans happy after losing Alex - not a David James style marquee, but more a statement of intent similar to a Jason Knight valuation may be a good approach regardless of position but prob one of the key ones mentioned already like GK, Kalas alternative etc 

Just now, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Not sure if he is available but maybe Killian Phillips at Palace would be a half-decent replacement for Scott, did well at Shrewsbury last year.

Chuck a bit of cash for him and O'Brien if that is still being looked at too.

Linked with Aberdeen earlier today.

Stoke had been interested before signing Ben Pearson.

I'm sorry all....a little contenious....I think we need a new first choice keeper. 

Max has developed well, like all keepers, has an error in him.....but it never feels entirely sound at the back when he is there. 

I admit that he has come on a long way, had some crucial interventions.....just my opinion.

Tin hat on....gum shield in. 

In regards to Max, I am really happy with how he has stepped up this season. I think he can remain as number 1 but it is essential to sign a goalkeeper to give him competition. That is exactly what we struggled with last season and so that needs to be addressed. The ideal solution would be to sign Sarkic from Wolves or Travers from Bournemouth or if we go down a different route and get in Chris Maxwell on a free. From what we have seen today of Bajic he looked confident which is a good thing because hopefully it will mean we have the 2 goalkeepers to go into the season with. I don't take much from pre-season games but if we want Bajic to succeed he needs to remain at the club and challenge Max. Loaning him back to France won't resolve any issues. If it is decided he can leave then I fully trust the club that it is the right call and equally if the club back him then I will trust them. Back to Max, I think it will be interesting to see how he does this season. The one thing I like about Max is you know he is happy to come out and claim crosses and that is a massive positive. We haven't had a goalkeeper happy to do that since Maenapaa. Bentley was not decisive enough when it came to claiming crosses and that is why the defence has much more confidence when Max is behind them because he makes his decision clear. Bentley may have been able to make a wonder save and put in MOTM performances but couldn't claim crosses. Max may not put in MOTM performances as regularly as Bentley with the Hollywood save but he does the basics well imo and he may make a mistake a few times but the club backs him and for me that is the main thing. Also, in pre-season last year Max looked to be off but he came back and claimed the No1 spot and he is another player this wonderful academy of ours has produced, not many teams have an academy like we do and that makes it so brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Thinking of how it could be best spent while retaining flexibility for the future.

3 transfers, with £10m in initial fees- not each but spread across 3..3 or 4 year deals.

Split the £10m how you like, fees could all be £2.5-3.33m or it could be that one is £1m, another is £3m and a third is £6m say.

(Thinking GK, CB especially left footed and a CM).

Wages not exceeding the £10-15k per week bracket.

Thst would be an initial outlay of £2.5-3.33m in amortisation and £1.55-£2.34m in wages.

We would remain majorly within FFP, the £28.5m loss would drip off after tbis season and the wage structure wouldn't take any great hit. TV money also rises from 2024-25.

Of course we must not spend for the sake of it but that could be a cost effective way to spread some of the money.

Then seek to extend Vyner, Pring, Bell, Conway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

If he overcomes those injuries hes quality .

It’s a bit early to say that.

We have barley seem him play.

He looked ok but in fairness to him he was very young. Played a few games and was sub a few times.

I am not saying he won’t make be a good player and hope he does

Just not sure we can really say either way at this stage.

I think realistically the best we'll get is another midfielder to replace Scott. I don't see us along another goalkeeper as I don't think there are any realistic targets within the spending range we're willing to go to. I think when you look at the squad we've got adequate conver in all positions and youth still coming through. 

I think at best we'll get the additional midfielder, maybe the finances will be used to secure players like Pring and Tanner for longer and the rest will go into the bank until we need it. Simply put if we go out looking to spend, clubs will do their best to charge us a lot knowing the money we got for Scott.