IGNORED

Swansea City club shop

Apparently there was an incident in the SC shop in the week where a supporter came in to buy an amount of merchandise, and not realising it was a cashless outlet demanded to pay in cash, which is obviously legal tender. After being refused, he placed the correct amount on the counter and left with his purchase. The club are now looking to identify him and prosecute for theft. 
I am no legal expert, however a comment from someone who is, states that once you have selected an item for purchase, you are indebted to the retailer for the correct amount which you are legally entitled to pay for with the currency of the crown, thereby making theft not an option for SC. Thoughts?https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02z3pSijS9Rz96ffT26bdJpjdgFDkyoVEDRq3DH5XiLUncfHqP8NtBJybDfQHqiMmTl&id=100044634120233&post_id=100044634120233_pfbid02z3pSijS9Rz96ffT26bdJpjdgFDkyoVEDRq3DH5XiLUncfHqP8NtBJybDfQHqiMmTl

3 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

Whilst I don't condone the abusive behaviour they are accusing him of, if he left the correct amount in legal tender, then the club shouldn't be able to prosecute him for theft, IMO.

It shouldn’t come to it, I agree, but it seems that they can. There’s no obligation to accept cash, any more than there’s an obligation to accept card payments. It’s up to the seller. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

I guess this bit is what clasifies it as theft as Swansea City didn't accept the offer to buy using cash.

When a trader displays or advertises goods (for example, by displaying them on a shelf in a shop alongside a price ticket) they are usually giving consumers what is referred to as an 'invitation to treat'. The consumer can then make an offer to buy the goods. At this point the trader is under no obligation to accept the offer; a contract is made if and when the trader accepts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Apparently there was an incident in the SC shop in the week where a supporter came in to buy an amount of merchandise, and not realising it was a cashless outlet demanded to pay in cash, which is obviously legal tender. After being refused, he placed the correct amount on the counter and left with his purchase. The club are now looking to identify him and prosecute for theft. 
I am no legal expert, however a comment from someone who is, states that once you have selected an item for purchase, you are indebted to the retailer for the correct amount which you are legally entitled to pay for with the currency of the crown, thereby making theft not an option for SC. Thoughts?https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02z3pSijS9Rz96ffT26bdJpjdgFDkyoVEDRq3DH5XiLUncfHqP8NtBJybDfQHqiMmTl&id=100044634120233&post_id=100044634120233_pfbid02z3pSijS9Rz96ffT26bdJpjdgFDkyoVEDRq3DH5XiLUncfHqP8NtBJybDfQHqiMmTl

Legal tender has nothing to do with paying for goods. It only means that if you owe someone a debt and offer them to settle it in cash, they can’t sue you if they refuse it.

A shop owner neither has to sell you the goods in his shop (see “invitation to treat” as discussed above) nor does he have to accept cash as a means of payment. Indeed, as in the recent TV advert, if he only accepts payment for a pound of potatoes in Bitcoin, that’s his prerogative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I guess this bit is what clasifies it as theft as Swansea City didn't accept the offer to buy using cash.

When a trader displays or advertises goods (for example, by displaying them on a shelf in a shop alongside a price ticket) they are usually giving consumers what is referred to as an 'invitation to treat'. The consumer can then make an offer to buy the goods. At this point the trader is under no obligation to accept the offer; a contract is made if and when the trader accepts.

Contract Law…takes me back to Bath College 1988, doing my finance exams.

That classic, but it says £0.99 on the price tag, load of bollox, was the first thing we got taught.  The only other thing I remember was Bolton v Stone (cricket ball and fence and greenhouse)!!!

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Was it this guy?

I tried to find that earlier…

Really annoys me that places are going card only, had it recently in a pub in town, ordered several drinks went to pay in cash but told card only. I did reluctantly pay by card, but when asking the bar staff why they did not accept cash, was told its easier for them, well that may be true but how about whats best for the customer? Should of ordered a massive round, then said oh dear then I cant pay and leave it with them.

Same at the gate, going card only, think they should retain at least 1 till on each bar that can take cash.

• Like 5

Customer service taken as an average in this country is patchy, sketchy- hit and miss. Has been for years IMO.

I suppose the market dictates the cashless shift, bank branch, self-service pack your own shopping closure etc to an extent but we don't really get much of a say either.

Has its pros and cons but smacks to an extent of get what you're given etc.

20 minutes ago, !james said:

Oh dear not the 'legal tender' brigade up in arms again!

Don't think I have paid for something in cash for about 2 years

Exactly. If you can use your card to get cash out of a machine, then there is no reason to not be able to use it to pay for something. 

There are large costs for a company that receives cash, storage costs, risk costs (burglary etc), transport costs to the bank / cash centre, bank txn costs, etc.

Its why supermarkets, pubs etc started offering cash-back…to get rid of the cash they took in.

• Like 2

I have a £50 banknote in my pocket. Going to a restaurant and paying for dinner with it. The restaurant owner then uses the note to pay for the laundry. The laundry owner then uses the note to pay the barber. The barber will then use the note to pay for shopping. After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a £50 value, which has fulfilled its purpose to everyone who used it for payment and the bank has jumped dry from every cash payment transaction made. BUT IF I go to a restaurant and pay digitally via Card, - the bank fees for my payment transaction charged to the seller are 3%, so around £1.50 ( and so will be the fee of £1.50 for each further payment transaction ) -for the owner re laundry or - payments of the owner of the laundry shop, - or payments of the barber etc..... Therefore, after 30 transactions, the initial £50 will exist at only £5, and the remaining £45 has become the property of the bank … thanks to all of the digital transactions and fees!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Exactly. If you can use your card to get cash out of a machine, then there is no reason to not be able to use it to pay for something. 

What about people who need to really look after what they spend. It will be guaranteed that some people will spend more than they anticipated to by going cashless because they simply won't stay on top of what they are spending, and then could easily get into debt. If you go out with x amount that you can/are willing to spend and it's in cash then you at least know where you stand and can control it better. Paying by card just isn't the same when it comes to restricting your spending for many people.

I definitely do get why businesses prefer contactless though, just wish the ones who are one way or the other would be a bit more flexible and maybe even have the "we prefer contactless or cash" type sign to encourage more people to what the business wants.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I have a £50 banknote in my pocket. Going to a restaurant and paying for dinner with it. The restaurant owner then uses the note to pay for the laundry. The laundry owner then uses the note to pay the barber. The barber will then use the note to pay for shopping. After an unlimited number of payments, it will still remain a £50 value, which has fulfilled its purpose to everyone who used it for payment and the bank has jumped dry from every cash payment transaction made. BUT IF I go to a restaurant and pay digitally via Card, - the bank fees for my payment transaction charged to the seller are 3%, so around £1.50 ( and so will be the fee of £1.50 for each further payment transaction ) -for the owner re laundry or - payments of the owner of the laundry shop, - or payments of the barber etc..... Therefore, after 30 transactions, the initial £50 will exist at only £5, and the remaining £45 has become the property of the bank … thanks to all of the digital transactions and fees!

You have overlooked the fact that the prices we all pay are a blended cost, taking in not just the cost of good and profit, but all the other overheads like fuel, premises, staff and banking.

So your point is partly valid, we all just pay a bit more for the service.

They want to turn us into a cashless society. 

Have total control of your money and know exactly what your spending habits are. 

They will control how much you spend, and on what. It's already started in China. 

The banks already control how much cash you can take out of your accounts. And when doing so...ask what it's for. If you refuse...they can refuse to give you the cash. 

Technology goes down...you've got nothing. 

Mistakes are made...they can stop all your cash. 

Look at those poor Post Masters who are going through hell because of a technology mistake. Families ruined. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

They want to turn us into a cashless society. 

Have total control of your money and know exactly what your spending habits are. 

They will control how much you spend, and on what. It's already started in China. 

The banks already control how much cash you can take out of your accounts. And when doing so...ask what it's for. If you refuse...they can refuse to give you the cash. 

Technology goes down...you've got nothing. 

Mistakes are made...they can stop all your cash. 

Look at those poor Post Masters who are going through hell because of a technology mistake. Families ruined. 

Jeez, you do love a nice convoluted conspiracy theory and linkage of random stuff.  ?????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Which bits untrue Dave? 

The China sentence

the banks sentence

the link to the post office

i could probably make an argument for the other sentence too, but I can’t as my chisel is blunt from trying to type my response on my stone tablet. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Behavioral Finance/Economics has been around for a good while. Thaler finally got the Nobel Economics gong in 2017 for his work on it. The point being suggestion is everywhere and now we are all on these things tapping keys that will lead us to places that tell you what you want. 

How you settle up is not the problem!

On another note, it looks to me as though the bloke from Swansea can’t be sued! I’d love to watch them bring that case, although a business will eventually!

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The China sentence

China subjects its citizens to extraordinary surveillance and control, enabled by technology. Failure to have enough so called social credits for instance could indeed lead to loss of your bank account - or far worse.

• Flames 1