IGNORED

Exeter game

GrahamC

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,, and if nothing else,, we have 3/4 new signings who wont have played a game at home before preston. It would seem to me you would want to feel the pitch, the atmosphere, the crowd before turning up in front of 25000?

No preseason game is going to prepare you for a league game, simply because there is nothing riding on it. 

I like the way we've gone about things. It gives us a chance to get our patterns of plays sorted out if nothing else. And to see who works with who etc.

By all means change it up when you,'re in charge. Or at least wait till the first few games of the season when you can claim that 'a competitive preseason' would've meant a better start ...

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,, and if nothing else,, we have 3/4 new signings who wont have played a game at home before preston. It would seem to me you would want to feel the pitch, the atmosphere, the crowd before turning up in front of 25000?

At least one of whom seems to be injured! McCrorie, let's hope it is minor and just taking some precautions. Tanner is fine at RB of course.

32 minutes ago, Bcfcshags said:

Owuara been told he can find another club along with a number of other players 

I had to check, as I thought he'd left already, but I saw an old post from Bristol Live that said we triggered the extra year in his contract in January .
Seems strange to do that just to let him go now. 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I had to check, as I thought he'd left already, but I saw an old post from Bristol Live that said we triggered the extra year in his contract in January .

He was doing well at Ross up to Xmas then the wheels seemed to come off, a couple of sending offs and rumours on their forum of an apparent off the field incident. He fell out of favour and ended the season poorly.

The City obviously extended his contract when he was doing well, but have decided against keeping him since.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'd wonder about Kadji too. Think he's been overtaken by OTC and there are others in the queue behind him.

Our Academy is really something, I can't keep up.  I started to wonder if there would be a gap in players coming through this year, so many started to press last year . Looks like I was well off.

Just a shame they don't make more of the Academy, through the OS and the Social Media outlets.
Went on the OS and you have the drop down that says Mens Team , then dedicated drop down for women. If I hadn't clicked on "Mens Team" singular , and seen the Academy there I wouldn't have known they did anything. At first I could only see it mentioned in "Latest" . I hope they sort it out to make it clearer, and I hope the Gantry at the HPC is permanent and it means they will stream the games this season . 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I hope the Gantry at the HPC is permanent and it means they will stream the games this season . 

I think the gantry is scaffold but it has been up all last season - remember it was streaming some of the women’s games.

They made a decision not to broadcast the u21s last season, but you could get a ticket if you were a season card holder.

I doubt anything will be changing this season, even with the gantry being there - they video the games anyway, probably for development purposes, and will probably put highlights online.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

They made a decision not to broadcast the u21s last season, but you could get a ticket if you were a season card holder

Was that the same as the Women, drive to the Gate and Bus up to HPC ?

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Our Academy is really something, I can't keep up.  I started to wonder if there would be a gap in players coming through this year, so many started to press last year . Looks like I was well off.

Just a shame they don't make more of the Academy, through the OS and the Social Media outlets.
Went on the OS and you have the drop down that says Mens Team , then dedicated drop down for women. If I hadn't clicked on "Mens Team" singular , and seen the Academy there I wouldn't have known they did anything. At first I could only see it mentioned in "Latest" . I hope they sort it out to make it clearer, and I hope the Gantry at the HPC is permanent and it means they will stream the games this season . 

Pretty sure Tanner was a signing to fill a gap, in that they didn't has someone graduating who fitted the age/experience profile they wanted.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

We should have played the strongest League 1 team away. Nigel would have learned a lot from one of the game's top coaches and his exciting young side.

It would also have given them a chance to test their magnificent new stand sand

Big opportunity missed.?

close! but you had a typo which i fixed.

If i am being honest though, it looked less like "sand" and more like a pile of rubble and building waste on the recent photos.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Was that the same as the Women, drive to the Gate and Bus up to HPC ?

Yep. I was on the bus a couple of times. Their last few games were at the gate - I think is a league requirement to play x games at a proper ground.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

With a brand new pitch laid that needs time to bed in. It’s just fitness & making partnerships , team shape . Some on here are like ten years olds wanting games against big clubs. They’d only play their kids anyway . Whereas lower league players might have a point to prove 

Exactly plus it gives them the chance to lay the boot in without being proven wrong. Play lower league clubs and smash them then get beat on the first day and it's "too easy in pre-season, no tests" whereas get smashed 5-2 by Athletic Bilbao then lose on the first day and it's "that's not realistic of the challenges ahead, why ruin players confidence before the season even starts?". Some people just dwell in a pit of misery and only exist to find fault.

If we're good enough we'll do alright in the Championship this season regardless of who we play in pre-season and vice versa. Anyone remember the glorious pre-season when Cotterill was in charge and we pissed League 1?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

At least one of whom seems to be injured! McCrorie, let's hope it is minor and just taking some precautions. Tanner is fine at RB of course.

Both Naismith and McCrorie are minor knocks.

No Weimann today.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I guess we ca tell a player to find a new club and then either look for a small fee and / or sell-on.  It’s just being fair to the player if they are that far off, but doesn’t mean we have to give them away either

53 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Meerholz ahead of OTC - the academy is creating some culture - brilliant 

Or possible that OTC has a loan lined up.

Agree that we are creating a real conveyor belt of players, not forgetting the standard required now is higher too.  Great stuff.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Both Naismith and McCrorie are minor knocks.

No Weimann today.

I guess we ca tell a player to find a new club and then either look for a small fee and / or sell-on.  It’s just being fair to the player if they are that far off, but doesn’t mean we have to give them away either

Or possible that OTC has a loan lined up.

Agree that we are creating a real conveyor belt of players, not forgetting the standard required now is higher too.  Great stuff.

Can’t see Naysmith in the starting line up against PNE been out for a few weeks now be it a minor knock he’s obviously behind the ball game in terms of fitness , one less deliema for Nige next week 

• Like 1