IGNORED

Exeter game

GrahamC

13 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, its all good fun trouncing lower league sides, a friendly or 2 against stronger opposition could surely have been arranged? Preston have played ipswich and aberdeen which will have been a better run out and more competitive than what weve arranged. if that gives them a little extra 1% on day one then it would be worth it? Maybe i just miss the days of the mallorca and ajax friendlies of years gone by… might get a few quid in the bank too with a decent crowd at ag!?

Preston also played Barrow, and lost. Ipswich also played Cambridge and Stevenage….and lost. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, its all good fun trouncing lower league sides, a friendly or 2 against stronger opposition could surely have been arranged? Preston have played ipswich and aberdeen which will have been a better run out and more competitive than what weve arranged. if that gives them a little extra 1% on day one then it would be worth it? Maybe i just miss the days of the mallorca and ajax friendlies of years gone by… might get a few quid in the bank too with a decent crowd at ag!?

Pearson has been very clear that he sees pre season games as training exercises, none of these results matter.

What does is establishing patterns of play & avoiding injuries.

We have completely resurfaced the pitch this summer after the Arctic Monkeys gig, next season we have both the rugby & the women’s team playing on it, so there was no space for a friendly to be played there, whether that was Ajax or Aldershot.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Dolman Block B said:

Predict the last 2?
I’ll start 
Cheltenham 0 City 2
Pompey 1 City 3
?⚪?

City 6 Torquay 2
City 7 Swindon 1
City 8 Newport 0
City 4 Oxford 1
City 4 Exeter 0
Cheltenham v City
Portsmouth v City

Whatever the standard of opposition, the number of 45 minute games, or the exact minutes played, an aggregate score of 29 - 4 is pretty pleasing. Goals from across the team as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Super said:

At least Pompey might be more of a test for us.

We should have played the strongest League 1 team away. Nigel would have learned a lot from one of the game's top coaches and his exciting young side.

It would also have given them a chance to test their magnificent new stand.

Big opportunity missed.?

• Haha 8
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pearson has been very clear that he sees pre season games as training exercises, none of these results matter.

What does is establishing patterns of play & avoiding injuries.

We have completely resurfaced the pitch this summer after the Arctic Monkeys gig, next season we have both the rugby & the women’s team playing on it, so there was no space for a friendly to be played there, whether that was Ajax or Aldershot.

Also worth saying, with two games a day a couple of times, that is a lot of our squad getting a decent workout.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Also worth saying, with two games a day a couple of times, that is a lot of our squad getting a decent workout.

Which is why they have scheduled games like they have. Most of the squad will have gone into the first weekend of the season with four 90 minutes in them already.

I’d imagine Dave Rennie has a big say in which friendly matches are decided. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough v Auxerre

Sunderland v Real Mallorca

Stoke v Everton

Derby always seem to have some decent ones too.

Blackburn v Girona.

I wonder if our commitment to being "green" and Project Whitebeam has had any impact on our friendlies? We've played entirely local clubs based in the south west and south England, and Newport. No flying out or having foreign teams fly in, and all played without firing up the AG energy consumption behemoth.

Yes we popped over to Austria for a few days but I just look at it and I see possible ESG concerns being addressed and a small attempt a pre-season with a low(ish) impact on the environment.

Pure conjecture and speculation from me here.

• Haha 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough hosted Real Betis..at Chesterfield so it can be done.

Unsure if it was with fans or behind closed doors though. Just think one home game or designated home game in conditions with fans present is optimum for sharpness.

I'm not sure those "in the game" see it as that way anymore.

Time will tell all 

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Anyone gonna join me in handing their season ticket back (do we have to give them the mobile as well?) cos they haven't organised Girona at home...............in Chesterfield?

I am interpreting these posts correctly, right?

We’re going into the season under-cooked because we haven’t lost away at Forest Green etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wonder if our commitment to being "green" and Project Whitebeam has had any impact on our friendlies? We've played entirely local clubs based in the south west and south England, and Newport. No flying out or having foreign teams fly in, and all played without firing up the AG energy consumption behemoth.

Yes we popped over to Austria for a few days but I just look at it and I see possible ESG concerns being addressed and a small attempt a pre-season with a low(ish) impact on the environment.

Pure conjecture and speculation from me here.

That is interesting, could be a factor.

We scored quite well with this didn't we.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure those "in the game" see it as that way anymore.

Time will tell all 

Perhaps I'm coming at it from a bit of a fan perspective, one biggish friendly to round off can be quite nice. Could be a bit outdated of me too.

The away games at Cheltenham and Portsmouth given they will have fans should be a decent test. The other stuff many positives to take without doubt but have reservations about how well competitive League football can be replicated behind closed doors.

Time will tell as you say.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is interesting, could be a factor.

We scored quite well with this didn't we.

Perhaps I'm coming at it from a bit of a fan perspective, one biggish friendly to round off can be quite nice. Could be a bit outdated of me too.

The away games at Cheltenham and Portsmouth given they will have fans should be a decent test. The other stuff many positives to take without doubt but have reservations about how well competitive League football can be replicated behind closed doors.

Time will tell as you say.

The flip side of the argument is seeing how well Bobby Reid did after firing them in that pre-season. I'm elated that all our forwards are in goal-scoring form and I'd really like Cornick to add a couple more tonight.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The flip side of the argument is seeing how well Bobby Reid did after firing them in that pre-season. I'm elated that all our forwards are in goal-scoring form and I'd really like Cornick to add a couple more tonight.

We rounded off that pre-season vs a Dutch top tier side in FC Twente yes I know that isn't one of the big 5 Leagues and Reid scored in that, a Dutch top side with recent top flight experience.

EDIT: Just checked , was Pack and Bryan actually.

Maynard in 2009 we rounded off v newly promoted to PL as Champions of our League Wolves. Maynard scored a fine goal from memory which set the tone for his season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

58 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

With a brand new pitch laid that needs time to bed in. It’s just fitness & making partnerships , team shape . Some on here are like ten years olds wanting games against big clubs. They’d only play their kids anyway . Whereas lower league players might have a point to prove 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Im_over_ere said:

Anyone know any news about where are Ben Acey and Owuru Edwards?

Owuara been told he can find another club along with a number of other players 

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough hosted Real Betis..at Chesterfield so it can be done.

Unsure if it was with fans or behind closed doors though. Just think one home game or designated home game in conditions with fans present is optimum for sharpness.

Yes,, and if nothing else,, we have 3/4 new signings who wont have played a game at home before preston. It would seem to me you would want to feel the pitch, the atmosphere, the crowd before turning up in front of 25000?

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,, and if nothing else,, we have 3/4 new signings who wont have played a game at home before preston. It would seem to me you would want to feel the pitch, the atmosphere, the crowd before turning up in front of 25000?

They are pro players for a reason!

Grass is grass for god's sake! And they have always played in front of a bloody crowd! 

• Like 1