IGNORED

Preston North End home match thread

That was poor. Lacking intensity and confidence. Nothing we tried was executed correctly until the Bell chance late on. The long balls were infuriating and O'Leary's kicking was rubbish.

Not what I expected! Hopefully front foot and some passing football in the attacking half after the break.

Edited by mozo
29 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Cornick barged off the ball....needs to be stronger...

He's chasing a ball towards the touchline, he's got to try and keep it in and beat his man...and stay balanced.  He was trying to buy a foul because there was little chance to do anything else.

3 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Not a great game, but hardly being dominated. Neither side really doing much. Pretty much 50/50 and would imagine possion is the same + we had best chances (admittedly that's not saying much). 

I did say I probably worded that poorly as I was far too vague, I meant in controlling the play. We've played our usual fast break out style but preston have had far more control when on the ball, we're just lucky they've had no creativity in the final third, despite having periods of play there.

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

As much as I want to see Cornick do well, I’d have to agree, probably need natural width out there which is not Cornick’s game

Just watching the Bell chance on replay and as he hits it there's another option which is squaring it back to Cornick who's made a great run into the box and found a yard or two of space. 

Nervy first half performance.

Not really got going - two opposing systems where neither side has had control.  They've looked dangerous when Keane has rolled off his man.  Browne and Potts doubling up Pring's space, who has looked a little clumsy on the ball.

Williams has given us a little bit more drive.

Defensively we've looked tidy.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

missing Naismith a lot, no passes going from deep into midfield into good positions.

Hitting a wall of players after the first pass time and time again. 

Fair play to Preston but we aren't doing enough when we have it.

Actually, I think we’re missing Scott who links the play so well.  Everybody gets excited about the 25 million, but going to be difficult to replace.

26 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Big Tone’s Sat afternoon wine appreciation club is more entertaining than the football. Perhaps this should be a match day thread spin off….

If we win I have a bottle of Champers left over from my birthday I will crack open also 

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

I dont think it has been that negative

It is half time in the first game of the season and we are not winning

Yet not one poster has said we will be down by xmas 

that has to be positive for OTIB

I'd agree, not really negative, we just spent the first part of 30 minutes either defending or holding possession in deep positions and struggling to punch through. We've perked up in the last 15 minutes of the half and looked a lot more determined, I think going into the second half we probably look better based on what we've seen, we're certainly defending better, just a few early hiccups but I think Atkinson is right in saying the pitch looks a little slower than usual, maybe the rain and the new grass that's been laid down.

I'm definitely more optimistic for the second half having seen the last 15 minutes and seeing our bench.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Just watching the Bell chance on replay and as he hits it there's another option which is squaring it back to Cornick who's made a great run into the box and found a yard or two of space. 

Exactly that, he’s more of a central player, rather that an out wide outlet, although Nige has described him as a wide forward

• Like 1

Meh.

It feels very disjointed, emphasised by the pass completion rate. It also feels slow, and that we’re being drawn into a physical game we aren’t going to win. Weimann going off probably helped with shape as until his last couple of minutes he was far too far forward, but by then the game was set.

It feels we need to draw them out more, play 20% quicker and more in behind. The game seems set for Mehmeti for me.

• Like 1