IGNORED

Tommy Conway

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It will be interesting. Yes agree with your maths.

One simple partial solution is that players cut down on the theatrics, the time-wasting and the gamesmanship, this will certainly help- the coaches have a role to play.

Having a World Cup in-season in the cycle, the Covid break pushing the seasons around and the Euros forward, it is somewhat cumulative.

As the extra minutes are supposed to be replacing that lost time, wouldn't that mean the same amount of work for the players, just condensed back into 90 minutes?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It will be interesting. Yes agree with your maths.

One simple partial solution is that players cut down on the theatrics, the time-wasting and the gamesmanship, this will certainly help- the coaches have a role to play.

Having a World Cup in-season in the cycle, the Covid break pushing the seasons around and the Euros forward, it is somewhat cumulative.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that, the headache will be the planning of how much and what intensity the players do in the week to prepare 

11 hours ago, Olé said:

When you think about it it's really not that odd 

It's not even vaguely odd?   That the club would prevent individual players from announcing things prior to the official line would be  without doubt the oddest  ...Where there's a story.....there is always a conspiracy theorist?  

21 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Just read the evening post article on this, they are reporting he did it in a sprint during the preston game and stayed on….. wtf has happened there?? He would have known after last season what he had done, he should have immediately been taken off to prevent any further danage! 

What with this and Weimann starting despite having a heal injury, I think there are certainly questions on how the squad is being managed at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Really shit that TC is out, but we really do still have quite a few decent front 3 combinations we can put together.

Wells, Bell and Cornick can cover CF between them, with Mehmeti and Sykes to cover the wings too. Got Weimann as well. 

I don't think we'll get anyone else in to cover the spot as some others seem to.

Where are the goals coming from? It was already a concern, since Antoine left we are not creating or scoring enough. We’ve need a striker to upgrade on Wells who can’t do it all anymore despite being a decent player at this level. Cornick for me is another Steve Jones, no doubt he did well for Luton, but it just hasn’t clicked with us, he doesn’t look a threat and was very poor v PNE IMO. We need to get a striker on loan, we won’t for sure and that will be a mistake. All it takes is for Nakhi to go down and we can kiss goodbye to any success. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a few things I don’t understand about people’s reactions here. Pole vaulting to conclusions that Dave Rennie is the antichrist is one. The other is that Tommys injury somehow necessitates a signing. 

As at right now, we have 5 fit strikers for 3 positions. Weimann is clearly borderline fit so that’s nearly 6 for 3. People may not rate one or more of the 5 fit strikers, but if they are part of our squad (and 3 got in ahead of TC on Saturday) then why would we need to make another signing?

Add into this, Scott is supposed to be fit for Saturday. Benarous on the way back. Weimann, as I said, was borderline Saturday. You’re then looking at 3 of the 7 back within 2-3 weeks. McCrorie we don’t know as yet, ditto Kal. But if you look at it reasonably, we have (confirmed) two players in Rob and Tommy who are out for a reasonable length. That doesn’t seem unusual in a squad of 26. Particularly when most injuries are different as opposed to, as stated, all hammies.

Or we could all panic and just burn the witch. Your call.

We allocated squad numbers to 26 as you say but that includes 2 CBs who have not made their debuts yet& a 3rd keeper in Bajic. Rob & Tommy as you say are out, Benarous is returning after 2 ACL ruptures, Naismith struggling to stay fit & that’s not even mentioning those currently unavailable through hopefully short term injuries. All of a sudden that 26 man squad looks light & we’ve only had 1 game ! 

No panic but personally feel we are light at CB but all about opinions. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What with this and Weimann starting despite having a heal injury, I think there are certainly questions on how the squad is being managed at the moment. 

Weimann starting when clearly no where near full fitness doesn’t make much sense to me. The game completely bypassed him, with all of NPs experience that is one decision I struggle to understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Where are the goals coming from? It was already a concern, since Antoine left we are not creating or scoring enough. We’ve need a striker to upgrade on Wells who can’t do it all anymore despite being a decent player at this level. Cornick for me is another Steve Jones, no doubt he did well for Luton, but it just hasn’t clicked with us, he doesn’t look a threat and was very poor v PNE IMO. We need to get a striker on loan, we won’t for sure and that will be a mistake. All it takes is for Nakhi to go down and we can kiss goodbye to any success. 

We could always try the Championship's third top goalscorer of only 15 months ago up front?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We could always try the Championship's third top goalscorer of only 15 months ago up front?

Often the simplest solutions are the best! Seems like he’s hardly played up front since the WSM days and his prolific season. 

looking on the positive side , injuries happen, and it’s good at least that we have plenty of championship quality cover up top.

Any other injuries in centre midfield, CB or GK and we’d be really panicking!!  

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

As the extra minutes are supposed to be replacing that lost time, wouldn't that mean the same amount of work for the players, just condensed back into 90 minutes?  

My thinking was along the lines of this new method of adding on stoppages discincentivising such antics thereby the problem will fall away in due course. Yeah physical fatigue sure but extra 10, 15 mins- you'll always get some stoppage time, mental and physical fatigue can be cumulative. 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I don’t think it’s as simple as that, the headache will be the planning of how much and what intensity the players do in the week to prepare 

It's not the whole part of it granted. Talking game wide now but any specific club, if you as players and coaches know that these new rules will be in play it's an incentive to keep the gsme moving more which means less stoppages ie forced stoppages, less mental and physical strain from longer games.

Training and conditioning, how often does z typical processional club train a week? Someone told me twice, that can't be right surely. Over-working, under-working?

44 minutes ago, The chief said:

Often the simplest solutions are the best! Seems like he’s hardly played up front since the WSM days and his prolific season. 

looking on the positive side , injuries happen, and it’s good at least that we have plenty of championship quality cover up top.

Any other injuries in centre midfield, CB or GK and we’d be really panicking!!  

Weimann didn't play up front, he played in the hole behind strikers who are not here anymore. Also, is he not injured?

Do think we are now light up top and wonder if we'll need to dip into the loan market now for the first time under Pearson.

It all seemed to be going so well thrashing teams in friendlies, scoring goals for fun. Taking the 25million stance with Scott and clubs circling. Within a week it is crumbling. Drop two points at home, shock news on Conway plus injuries to countless others and no sign of Scott either playing or going. I don't know why my hopes are always dashed so quickly but should be used to it by now. I hope Pearson does some moves in the transfer market to shore up the squad. Maybe a striker on loan to start with. COYR.

Always nice to know that the season is over by 9 August.

It's one injury.

12 weeks takes us to 1 November, so he misses 13 league games. Just 1/3 of the season. 

We have other players to cover that position, and in fact Conway didn't start in the first game.

It's not optimal, but it's not a disaster.

And...we were never going to finish top 6 anyway!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Always nice to know that the season is over by 9 August.

It's one injury.

12 weeks takes us to 1 November, so he misses 13 league games. Just 1/3 of the season. 

We have other players to cover that position, and in fact Conway didn't start in the first game.

It's not optimal, but it's not a disaster.

And...we were never going to finish top 6 anyway!

And Conway was never going to finish top scorer.