IGNORED

Millwall away match thread

2 hours ago, The Coach said:

Am of the mindset Bell needs a spell in league one. His overall decision making has been poor at times. 

I thought he played well today, tactically he did his job perfectly.

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

How’s Mehmeti playing? 

I thought he did well when he came on.  Looked lively, kept it simple, got his shot away (just wide), linked well with Roberts and Naismith in a nice triangle in latter stages.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

How many Bristol City managers would have the nerve to introduce a teenage kid who has, I think, just signed his first professional contract. I can only think of two in my lifetime.

Inspired thinking by NP as the lad Yeboah must have run his guts out to not allow their defenders a peaceful last ten to pound our defence with long balls.

We may not make it this year but it won't be for want of trying. COYREDS.

Their back three were given plenty to think about with some strong running by Bell and Wells in particular. They looked shot at the end, kind of underlined by a weak header and Matt James standing on his own on the penalty spot. Yeboah was the icing on their cake for their afternoon! 

On another note, Mr Pearson did sound a bit fed up with losing Scott on Radio Brizz. When you go as far as to mention the terms of the deal you are taking a shot at those that made it. Either way if all this injury mullarky is true we wouldn’t have had him playing anyway. 

So we lost Scott but found Yeboah is the way I look at it with 25m spread over quite sometime to come apparently. 

Edited by REDOXO
2 hours ago, Spike said:

Not a convincing win by any means but 3 points away to Millwall isn't to turn your nose up at. 

Still feel like we're getting pinned out wide a lot but hopefully Pearson will be looking at that.

But imho a deserved win, in a game we controlled for much of the 90 (96).

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
15 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One small negative, predictable, poorly executed near post corners

Apart from that absolutely buzzing- Weston Vintages in the chiller 

I would say our decision making in the final third was poor. 

Wells had Bell tearing down the outside yet he opted to play a weak pass to Sykes who was marked towards the end of the first half. Bell should’ve had a shot when he nicked the ball back on the edge of the box. A few times the final ball wasn’t right. Today was okay, as Millwall were poor and we had plenty of the ball. When you’re playing a strong side you need to make sure that we create shooting opportunities when we have the ball in the final third. 

Don’t want to take anything away from today, as it’s different to go to a tricky ground and dominate the game without gifting chances away. 7.5/10 performance today 

• Like 2

Just for balance, seeing as a lot of point scoring is going on...

Cornick creating two goals with long throws proves that his long throws are very dangerous. 

Cornick's long throws don't prover he's a good wide forward, just like Kalas' long throws didn't prove he was a good defender.

But hey, OTIB is primarily in existence for point scoring against other fans!

I think Cornick's contribution with his feet in the league so far has been average, neither cause for derision or praise.

But his long throws have been a very enjoyable and profitable surprise!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Be the show pony when winning by a margin by all means but not when its 0-0  and the game is far from won.

Perhaps Memehti suffers from the same problem that Trundle had when he moved here. 

At Swansea Trundle was their stand out player and they built the team around him so that he could " do his thing". Similarly it seemed that at Wycombe most of their attacking play went through AM and he was pretty free to show his flair, and especially so as he was not facing championship defenders every week.

With GJ, Trundle had to curb some of his flair instincts in order to perform the role GJ expected for the team - this was a team remember, where the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. I wonder if Memehti is coming to terms with having to curb his instincts to show his tricks and turns in order to be more disciplined and perform the role he needs to do for the team.

Trundle didn't take the flair out of his game but did seem to choose the right time to apply it, rather than try and be the show pony all the time.  Memehti might have to learn a similar discipline.

• Like 2

An excellent win and fully deserved. We were not working their keeper all game (if at all really) but we were controlled and the best team for at least two thirds of the game.

Back 4 superb. Vyner and Dickie outstanding once more and forming a great partnership. Pring showed more today and I thought it was Tanners best performance of the season so far. Didn’t give them a kick down the right, tidy on the ball and attacked well. Unlucky to not get an assist for Sam in the second half. Pring looked a lot more like his dynamic self. Robert’s is a very nice option and he’s going to create many chances with his crossing ability.

Midfield worked hard and a superb finish from Matty James. Sykes is my favourite option on the right and it’s great we now have that different option on the left going from Sam’s pace and directness to Mehmetis skill and unpredictability. Brilliant block from Cornick after he came on.

Difficult game for Nakhi but he worked hard.

In comparison to Preston (where I thought Lowe out thought us tactically), Nige and the staff had it perfectly today.

Very satisfying.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t let what he does (or doesn’t do) with the ball blinker his work rate off of it.  He works bloody hard, is super-fit too.

Two key words for pearsons team there dave

Work rate, I dont think I've ever seen a harder working city team then this one

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TheReds said:

My sarcastic point was to point out how many who said he was awful last week (despite his throw in leading to our goal) have said he was decent today? It's like a deep routed implanted thought for some posters that simply cannot change no matter what, he has to be terrible every week, if he is decent it's a one off etc etc. Wait until he has a poor game or make some poor decisions and they will be back on like a shot slating the bloke.

One poster who is always negative put a "sigh" next to Cornicks name when he came on, then called one of his plays "comical". I am sure he has gave his in depth analysis post match regarding Cornick.... No, not a peep.

TBF - I don't know how Cornick will turn out long term for us, but he is our player, deserves our support and at least given a fair chance. Some people just don't seem to want to give him that, or quite simply are unable to. They always need someone who they can pick out to slate, probably to try and make themselves feel better.

Anyway, a great 3 points and Cornick done a good job today.

Bravo ?? 

just a little random stat from two games…

…Cornick is the only player who has been on the pitch for both goals and not on the pitch when we’ve conceded!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, cityal said:

Normally against BOTH teams we'd be reading stuff post match along the lines of - we got bullied,  too physical for us, didn't allow us to play our game.

It's nice to get these 2 fixtures out of the way with 4 points to our name.

Over dinner i was wondering if our record against these two sides is actually as bad as i recall.

Answer: Pretty much yes, though 2 wins against Preston last season make it look a bit better.

image.png.b8b90866c1dd73f46850631e0ad2a726.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Perhaps Memehti suffers from the same problem that Trundle had when he moved here. 

At Swansea Trundle was their stand out player and they built the team around him so that he could " do his thing". Similarly it seemed that at Wycombe most of their attacking play went through AM and he was pretty free to show his flair, and especially so as he was not facing championship defenders every week.

With GJ, Trundle had to curb some of his flair instincts in order to perform the role GJ expected for the team - this was a team remember, where the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. I wonder if Memehti is coming to terms with having to curb his instincts to show his tricks and turns in order to be more disciplined and perform the role he needs to do for the team.

Trundle didn't take the flair out of his game but did seem to choose the right time to apply it, rather than try and be the show pony all the time.  Memehti might have to learn a similar discipline.

He’s still a very young player , he hasn’t come here as the finished article . There’s plenty of scope for improvement with him. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, chowie said:

Great read thank you.

My Great Grandfather Alf 'Jasper' Geddes played for Millwall & Bristol City, I think this picture is displayed at The Den somewhere (or used to be)

Signed to Bristol City from Millwall (via Bedminster) in 1899 then stayed here and my Nan was born 11 years later.

GeddesAEMillwall-scaled.jpg?v=1608087982

Respect!

A quick but small (5'4") Outside Left.

43 games for Bedminster in 1899-90, scoring 15 goals. 

1900 Bedminster and City amalgamate. 

29 games for Bristol City in 1900-01, scoring 5 times. This was the team that earned us entry to the Football League - although he was released that summer.

We shall draw a veil over him joining the Blue Few in Oct 1901 as it was only for 7 games! Deciding he'd had quite enough of that lot, he then retired - though it did make him only the 2nd ever player to play for both City and Rovers. 

He'd played, and scored, in the 1892 FA Cup Final for his hometown club West Brom and won the Southern League with both West Brom and Millwall. 

20 goals from 70 games for West Brom 1891-94. 

40 odd goals for Millwall from 100 odd games in 2 spells between 1894 and 1899.

Top man. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

Cornick clearly divides fans like many before him.

We have the super fans who cannot countenance any criticism of any city player however poorly they perform.

Then we have the super pessimists who criticise every city player when we lose however well they may have played,but focus mostly on the current flavour of the month for giving a verbal kicking.

For me it was a great win today ,where everyone played their part.

I’m hoping Cornick will morph into more than a long throw expert and show why we invested our precious cash on him ,it certainly may happen.

At times he does remind me a bit of David Clarkson who I had high hopes for ,but unfortunately turned out to be not great in the air ,not particularly quick,and not a great finisher.

Lets all get behind him and hope with a bit of confidence he proves to be a great addition to the squad.

Shame Bournemouth got an equaliser today……….I’m not bitter.

• Like 1