IGNORED

Millwall away match thread

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'll join you. My only downer is Mehmeti who I think is a bit of a show pony rather than a work horse

I've been quite impressed by Mehmeti. He can be guilty of holding the ball for too long at times, but that's fairly normal for a young winger. IMO, it's great that he wants to take responsibility and make something happen when he get's the ball - and he clearly has the technical ability to be very dangerous at this level. He was absolutely excellent against Oxford in midweek.

FWIW, Mehmeti and Sykes would be my 'first choice' wingers for us at this moment in time.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

If we could get Weimann & McCrorie available we have decent numbers, especially as we are bound to add at least one now Scott has departed.

Not according to NP when interviewed just now on RB. He said he's happy with what he's got and won't sign a player just for the sake of it. Maybe looking at it again in the next window, but all depends on what happens before then. He also said that Scotts transfer money will not be paid in one lump, it will be paid over the period of his contract with Bournemouth.

4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Not according to NP when interviewed just now on RB. He said he's happy with what he's got and won't sign a player just for the sake of it. Maybe looking at it again in the next window, but all depends on what happens before then. He also said that Scotts transfer money will not be paid in one lump, it will be paid over the period of his contract with Bournemouth.

That's cash flow, instalments. The profit is banked at the time of disposal.

Potential new rules may see this change but..that's a medium term consideration surely.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I've been quite impressed by Mehmeti. He can be guilty of holding the ball for too long at times, but that's fairly normal for a young winger. IMO, it's great that he wants to take responsibility and make something happen when he get's the ball - and he clearly has the technical ability to be very dangerous at this level. He was absolutely excellent against Oxford in midweek.

FWIW, Mehmeti and Sykes would be my 'first choice' wingers for us at this moment in time.

I thought Mehmeti was really good when he came on. Had a really promising effort on goal from outside the box, was closing down at pace and some tidy close control and passing.

I'm a fan of his, but have criticised his recently for not producing. His cameo today was very good imo.

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I mean, the right thing to say for sure. Would be very surprised if we did not add at least one however.

Not a market to appear desperate in, and for what it is worth, I don’t think we are.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Totally agree Stevie but I can't put everybody.

Maybe I should have said the 'central defenders' rather than just Dickie. ;)

Yeah I agree. No one had a off day which is what you need any game in this league to pick up points especially away. Dickie & Zak seem to compliment each other. Both calm as well. Knight was very good 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought Mehmeti was really good when he came on. Had a really promising effort on goal from outside the box, was closing down at pace and some tidy close control and passing.

I'm a fan of his, but have criticised his recently for not producing. His cameo today was very good imo.

Agree, like to see him start with Roberts too. Leave Bell on the bench as an impact sub. Pring got forward more today, but didn't create anything. Roberts has a real eye for a through pass, quick feet too, only by playing him we will find out if he can be as good defensively as Pring too.

23 minutes ago, TheReds said:

It's almost as if he played in the Championship for a number of years and maybe trying to get used to what Pearson wants from him. 

He was written off after 25 minutes last week. But I am sure the same posters are on praising him today for a bit of balance.

Maybe because he was dreadful last week in fairness. I still don't see him as a right sided player. Just my opinion

38 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

We had 5 of our 9 subs today that had never featured in a game at this level, though 2 of them, Roberts & Yeboah, (who was only 17 very recently) now have, so no way are we looking to run on our current numbers until January, whatever gets said publicly.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7

Great win today, no doubt we are a hard working side and defensively the best we’ve looked in many years, Zak and Rob were superb again, Roberts for me looks a step ahead of Cam for now, albeit Cam defended well first half. McCrorie coming back will make a difference too, feel he and Roberts will give more energetic attacking threat for us. Naismith and Mehmeti were positive as subs, Mehmeti has such different qualities to anyone else and Naismith is just a class footballer, great attitude and so calm under pressure, we were more fluid after those changes. If we can add another CM and a powerful striker to really lead that line we are in a good place. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
1 hour ago, Red Ferret said:

Zak Vyners passing from defence is impressive. The guys got a very good footballing brain 

His passing was always a strong point of his game but his real issue was his positioning but this season he looks so much better than the previous two. He would always drift out of position or commit to a challenge when he should be holding the line, this season he is holding his position and committing at a much better time as well as checking his line often and it's doing him wonders. I also think Vyner plays better with a confident center back next to him, Dickie seems to really have a calming effect on him from what I've seen which is allowing him to play his best football.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Great win today, no doubt we are a hard working side and defensively the best we’ve looked in many years, Zak and Rob were superb again, Roberts for me looks a step ahead of Cam for now, albeit Cam defended well first half. McCrorie coming back will make a difference too, feel he and Roberts will give more energetic attacking threat for us. Naismith and Mehmeti were positive as subs, Mehmeti has such different qualities to anyone else and Naismith is just a class footballer, great attitude and so calm under pressure, we were more fluid after those changes. If we can add another CM and a powerful striker to really lead that line we are in a good place. 

Agree with most of that. With Pring I think his engine lasts about 70 minutes so we'll see Roberts come on a lot. Roberts clearly very good but did make a mistake with a misplaced pass a little too close to our box. Also Vyner was great defensively, but that lunging tackle to give a dangerous free kick on the edge of our box late on was a little reminder of the old Zak.

Generally though, a very well deserved clean sheet from all involved.

Edited by mozo
3 minutes ago, Super said:

Maybe because he was dreadful last week in fairness. I still don't see him as a right sided player. Just my opinion

My sarcastic point was to point out how many who said he was awful last week (despite his throw in leading to our goal) have said he was decent today? It's like a deep routed implanted thought for some posters that simply cannot change no matter what, he has to be terrible every week, if he is decent it's a one off etc etc. Wait until he has a poor game or make some poor decisions and they will be back on like a shot slating the bloke.

One poster who is always negative put a "sigh" next to Cornicks name when he came on, then called one of his plays "comical". I am sure he has gave his in depth analysis post match regarding Cornick.... No, not a peep.

TBF - I don't know how Cornick will turn out long term for us, but he is our player, deserves our support and at least given a fair chance. Some people just don't seem to want to give him that, or quite simply are unable to. They always need someone who they can pick out to slate, probably to try and make themselves feel better.

Anyway, a great 3 points and Cornick done a good job today.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2