IGNORED

Millwall away match thread

Being a City fan is rarely dull!  In between our opening game and this one quite a bit has happened, including:

A lacklustre and largely underwhelming performance against PNE

Alex Scott joining AFC Bournemouth for an undisclosed Bristol City club record fee

Injuries to Tommy and Andi

Rumours about Sam Bell attracting interest from PL teams

A convincing cup win

An excellent debut from Haydon Roberts

Five different goal scorers in our opening two games

In the final game of last season the Lions needed to win to secure a play-off place, at half time they were 3-1 ahead, at the final whistle it was Millwall 3 Blackburn 4, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65445638

Millwall have an interesting intimidation tactic, even before the two sets of players head out onto the pitch. The tunnel is purposely narrow with the players rubbing shoulders while LED lights aim to create a daunting, hostile entrance: https://fb.watch/hL8A8PkS2u/

Last season it finished 0-0 https://youtu.be/SVXvt7DczL4

At the end of January on deadline day they signed Duncan Whatmore from Boro….. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64460429

In June they announced that a deal had been agreed to sign Kevin Nisbet. The 26-year-old striker joined The Lions from Hibernian on a long-term contract, for an undisclosed fee.

At the end of June they signed Joe Bryan on a free transfer, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66067717

They signed Casper de Norre from OH Leuven for an undisclosed fee and brought in former Rotherham defender Wes Harding.

Also added goalkeeper Matija Sarkic in early August from Wolverhampton Wanderers for an undisclosed fee.

Guide to the Den: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/the-den-millwall.html

Head-to-head record

Won: 37

Lost: 35

Drawn: 33

Referee: Keith Stroud. Assistants: Matthew Smith and Richard Wild. Fourth official: Ben Atkinson

My neighbour is a Millwall fan and had this to say……

We have received bids of £8m+ for Zian Flemming (the Bermondsey Berkhamp). If he stays we have the strongest squad we’ve had for years. 

Nisbet will add to our striking options. Whatmore was not fit when he arrived last year but is looking good in pre-season, plus we have England youth international Romain Esse who is very highly rated. 

Defensively Bryan looks better than we had last year with Harding providing competition across the back line. De Norre is unknown but we are hoping that he will be another improvement. 

The championship looks very strong this year but otherwise I would be (not so) quietly confident for once!!!  Assume that means relegation beckons?

Last Saturday they opened their campaign with an away win at Middlesbrough thanks to Romain Esse's first goal for the Lions. The 18-year-old broke the deadlock in the 79th minute when fellow substitute Aidomo Emakhu crossed from the left and Esse struck the ball into the top corner, https://youtu.be/59QZiqVDFRo

On Tuesday they lost 4-0 at home against Reading despite having 59% possession, 20 shots (4 on target) and 12 corners (Reading didn’t have a single corner!) https://youtu.be/1HXtqF7T_Rw

Millwall will pay tribute to John Berylson. The Lions' former Chairman tragically passed away on 4th July, aged 70, with the club set to honour the American on Saturday.

The players will wear tribute warm-up t-shirts and match shirts have also been embroidered for the occasion. They will be available for auction after the game, with all proceeds going to the John Berylson Legacy Fund.

The turnstiles at The Den will open at 1.30pm, whilst James Berylson - new Chairman and John's son - will visit the SE16 Fan Zone at 2pm to meet supporters.

From 2.45pm, the Berylson family will be pitchside for the duration of the commemorations, which get underway with an EFL presentation.

Following that, a tribute video - in memory of John - will play on the big screen. At its conclusion, the Berylson family will be introduced to the crowd, before the players and officials emerge from the tunnel, with both captains carrying wreaths.

A minute's applause will then take place as both sides gather at the centre-circle, before the skippers lay their respective wreaths behind each goal.

Millwall musings

Millwall Football Club was founded in 1885.

Their all-time leading goalscorer is Teddy Sheringham who scored 111 goals for the club.

Millwall’s highest league finish occurred in the 1987-1988 season when they finished 10th in the old First Division.

The Lions reached the FA Cup final once in their history, in 2004, but were runners-up.

Well known fans include Daniel Day-Lewis, David Haye, Blake Harrison, Tamer Hassan and Danny Baker.

They have been relegated from the Football League on several occasions, most recently in the 1996-1997 season.

Pubs

There aren’t many away-friendly pubs near The Den itself, so most away fans tend to drink in the London Bridge area.

These are near the ground: https://www.awaygames.co.uk/away-pubs/millwall-away/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
29 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Millwall will pay tribute to John Berylson. The Lions' former Chairman tragically passed away on 4th July, aged 70, with the club set to honour the American on Saturday.

The players will wear tribute warm-up t-shirts and match shirts have also been embroidered for the occasion. They will be available for auction after the game, with all proceeds going to the John Berylson Legacy Fund.

THIS. My mate who's a Millwall fan has told me that "every nutter will be out tomorrow" so City fans will need to have their wits about them in & around, well, everywhere. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, One Team said:

Have I heard correctly we are in the same stand as them on this occasion? 

Correct. The two tier North Stand. How it will be split I dunno.

I understand it- the sad and untimely passing of their chairman, want as many fans in the ground to pay tribute..I would say that our restrictions at Ashton Gate are off by the charts by comparison.

They:

*Usually cannot sell the Lower Tier v many opponents for alleged safety reasons. (Norwich seem to get it often or some of it).

*Have a separate walkway for away fans, which btw will be unavailable Saturday due to strikes iirc.

Interesting review which references Point 2 a bit.

https://groundhopperguides.com/seeing-a-game-at-millwall-fc/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I understand it- the sad and untimely passing of their chairman, want as many fans in the ground to pay tribute..I would say that our restrictions at Ashton Gate are off by the charts by comparison.

They:

*Usually cannot sell the Lower Tier v many opponents for alleged safety reasons. (Norwich seem to get it often or some of it).

*Have a separate walkway for away fans, which btw will be unavailable Saturday due to strikes iirc.

Interesting review which references Point 2 a bit.

https://groundhopperguides.com/seeing-a-game-at-millwall-fc/

Well that won’t cause any problems at all then! ???

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are 6 blocks in the upper, 6 in the lower. Millwall have put 2 upper and 2 lower on sale for home fans ( the blocks to the left looking from the pitch to the stand. I think we have 3 upper, 3 lower, so 1 block empty for segregation by the look of it.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

There are 6 blocks in the upper, 6 in the lower. Millwall have put 2 upper and 2 lower on sale for home fans ( the blocks to the left looking from the pitch to the stand. I think we have 3 upper, 3 lower, so 1 block empty for segregation by the look of it.

1 block for segregation seems erm..interesting for such a game.

Maybe I'm overplaying it but imagine if that was Ashton Gate, home and away fans in Atyeo was it split only one block when this was the case.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

No, I was also confused by that statement .

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Have they ever been relegated from the EFL ?

Since joining the Football League in the 1920–21 season, the club have been relegated nine times. They have spent 90 of their 97 seasons in the Football League yo-yoing between the second and third tiers.

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Since joining the Football League in the 1920–21 season, the club have been relegated nine times. They have spent 90 of their 97 seasons in the Football League yo-yoing between the second and third tiers.

"They have been relegated from the Football League on several occasions, most recently in the 1996-1997 season"

They have never been relegated from the EFL...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Take their forum with a bit of a pinch of salt but all the same I do wonder if the Safety Advisory Group down here would afford us same luxury if roles reversed.

That said given the reason for the changed I'm sure we'll behave impeccably.

You think? Will only take a few to disrupt their acknowledgements (silence or clapping, not sure?) for it to go right off. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think it is clapping. Which should mitigate any risks.

Possibly yes. You never know, if to a man we stand and clap could be a Millwall love in! ?

In my 32 years watching City I’ve never known us share a stand with Millwall though so will be amazed if the game passes off without incident. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
7 minutes ago, One Team said:

Possibly yes. You never know, if to a man we stand and clap could be a Millwall love in! ?

In my 32 years watching City I’ve never known us share a stand with Millwall though so will be amazed if the game passes off without incident. 

Oh that's fair, it seems a bit cavalier to me but what do I know.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Millwall fan here, and former writer for the history article for the match day programme.

I can confirm, Millwall have never been relegated from the Football League. Our last spell in the bottom tier was back in 1965. Our lowest ever finish in the four-tier format was 9th in 1958/59. The club did have to sadly apply for re-election in 1950, having finished 22nd in the Third Division (South).

Indeed, as you can see, the post-war period was the worst in Millwall’s history. This is made even more heart-breaking by the fact that it followed the most promising period in the club’s story. Between the two world wars, Millwall were one of the best supported clubs in the entire country. The Den was at the centre of a huge working-class community, which supplied labour to the London Docks, the very heartbeat of the British Empire. Crowds of 30-40,000 came to watch important matches even in the doldrums of the Third and Second tiers, 40-50,000 came to watch big cup games or London derbies. Even the pre-season match between Millwall Blues and Millwall Reds (a first team v reserve team game) attracted 15-20,000.

I mention this, as know that Bristol City are very similar in being a club that had the potential to go on and be a truly big club. Neither Millwall, or it seems Bristol City, ever caught the breaks needed. Indeed, in the late 1930s Millwall were building real momentum, the club were signing past and future internationals, crowds were building and a run to the FA Cup Semi-Finals saw First Division sides Fulham, Chelsea, Derby County and that season’s eventual First Division Champions, Manchester City, fall at The Den. In the 1938/39 season, 37,115 came to Cold Blow Lane to see how Millwall would fair against hot favourites for promotion and league leaders Blackburn Rovers. The Lions won 4-1. Rovers would finish as champions and so many at The Den that day thought that surely the next season would be the one in which Millwall finally joined the top table. However, Hitler had other ideas.

The London Docklands that surrounded the club suffered greatly during the Second World War. The Den was hit by a German bomb in one of, if not the very last, attacks of the Blitz. The insurance company refused to pay out, as it had more pressing claims to cover. When ground was reopened, still with a bomb crater, a discarded cigarette burnt down the main stand. Again, no insurance money was available. The club went from being one of the richest in the land and on the way up in the late 1930s, to being broke and ground sharing after the war. The application for re-election and then the indignity of becoming founding members of the new Division Four in 1958 were lingering symptoms of the impact of the war on the club. The decline of the docks then saw an end to Millwall ever becoming one of the big London clubs for good. At least Bristol City still have the opportunity to become a big, regional club ala Brighton & Hove Albion. We are far too hemmed in, by Chelsea to the west, Palace to the south, Charlton to the east and only a short tube ride away from Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham north of the river. In fact, it is pretty amazing that we are still able to draw 12-15,000 fans to matches, given our complete lack of success, horrific reputation and the geography outlined above. No-one could accuse the children and grandchildren of the old dockers who didn’t give up on the club in the post-war period of not being passionate about their club at least.

As an aside, I always find it funny that many of the most interesting history snippets about Millwall are often left out of these reviews, not just on football forums, but by the likes of Sky and the BBC too. For example…

Millwall are the only club in England to have been bestowed a nickname based on footballing endeavor. Nicknamed the ‘Dockers’ on account of the occupation of many of the original players and supporters, Millwall were christened the ‘Lions of the South’ by the sporting press because they were the first working-class club from the south to give the dominant northern and midlands Football League sides of the late Victorian era a bloody nose in the FA Cup. Millwall not only knocked out the famous Preston North End club, plus the mighty Everton in runs to the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup in 1900 and 1903, but also defeated one of the most dominant forces English football has ever seen in the Aston Villa side of the turn of the century. Villa were five times English Champions between 1893 and 1900, as well as FA Cup winners on three occasions between 1887 and 1897. They were double winners in 1896/97. But could not knock-out the East End team over three matches. Millwall’s 2-1 win in the second reply cemented Millwall’s image as the ‘Lions’.

Indeed, no other club has knocked out more sides from a higher division than Millwall have in the FA Cup. Millwall are the ultimate giant killers, with FA Cup holders and League Champions all being mauled by the Lions over the years. Premier League Champions Leicester City were the latest scalp to be added to an illustrious list, when the then League One Lions beat a strong Foxes side in the last minute of the 5th round tie at The Den, despite playing the entire second half with ten men.

Other interesting facts (if you are still reading!) that often get overlooked are…

Millwall are the only club to go undefeated at home for an entire season on five separate occasions, and across four separate divisions. Once the club went 59 consecutive home games without defeat between 1964 and 1967, consisting of 43 wins and 16 draws, scoring 112 goals, and conceding just 33 with 35 clean sheets. Even on moving from the intimidating Old Den, the club still has a very strong home record. Millwall only lost one league home game in the first season at the ‘new’ Den, unfortunately it was the first ever league game in SE16, a 4-1 spanking live on TV to Southend United. In fact, fans only saw 5 defeats in the first 46 home league matches in the new surroundings.

Millwall were the first club to have a community scheme and partnership with its local authority. Long before sports washing became a thing in the 1980s. Furthermore, in was in this period Millwall also became the first club to open an official family stand and creche, as well form an affiliation with a women’s team – the Millwall Lionesses. The Lionesses were true pioneers of the women’s game in this country.

Millwall hold the record for most official fans at both the new and old Wembley. 47,349 Millwall fans officially attended the Auto-Windscreens Shield Cup Final v Wigan Athletic in 1999. They were also more in the corporate boxes. In 2009, 49,661 Lions fans attended the League One Play-Off Final v Scunthorpe United. Neither of these records have been beaten by official sales. Both turnouts are no doubt a nod to Millwall’s history as well supported club when the docks were thriving, with everyone connected to the club wanting to see us on our first official visits to the new and old stadiums. *Millwall did play Chelsea in a Football League War Cup (South) Final at Wembley in front of 90,000 spectators.

Millwall were the first southern club to be offered a place in the Football League in 1894. They were probably seen as a great coup, being an inner-city London side, with good support and a decent ground. However, the club turned down the offer, as it was pioneering its own professional league – the Southern League. The Millwall directors believing that competitive matches v the likes of old rivals Arsenal and hopefully other London clubs and decent southern sides like Southampton would be more attractive than playing provincial sides like Darwen, Burton Swifts and Grimsby Town. Travel costs were also seen as a big factor. However, despite promises of helping to pioneer the Southern League idea with Millwall, Woolwich Arsenal (a poorly supported club on the Kent borders at the time) accepted the Football League’s offer instead… and the rest, as they say, is history!

Who knows… a few of you may read that on the train to London to past the time.

Re the actual match. It will be very emotional. I just hope our players can handle the atmosphere. I do not foresee any trouble, but Millwall still remains a place that if you go looking for trouble, you will find it (bit like Bristol!). I recommend drinking around London Bridge and then tubing it to Bermondsey / Canada Water if you are sensible walking through Bermondsey. Or you can go to Surrey Docks (Quays) and drink at the Wetherspoons there, as often see away fans around there and if they create no bother, they get no bother. I have seen young lads thinking that it was like a trip to Watford or Reading, where singing ‘XYZ is a shithole I wanna go home’ and all those obnoxious songs wouldn’t draw attention… around Bermondsey they will. For those asking about avoiding main pubs… as in hooligan pubs… I doubt your Google maps will take you past any of these, as they tend to be more off the main roads. Saying that, walking past the Blue Anchor or Ancient Forresters on the main roads will still require some respect for the locals inside. I would not drink in them if I was you, just because they are very partisan and will be very busy Saturday.

The Bermondsey Beer Mile is pretty good for drinking and avoiding the football crowds – look it up.

Great post mate - thank you.   Have always admired you as a club from afar - you seem to do a lot of things right as your post confirms and I love the atmosphere either home or away.  A ‘proper’ club. Looking forward to tomorrow.  Good luck for the rest of the season (after tomorrow - obviously!) 

• Like 2

Nice write up. Thanks.

Just one inaccuracy. The Sags took more than anyone to Wembley and also filled the car park. So they must have the attendance record.

Hope it all goes well tomorrow.  Admit, given the history between our two clubs, putting us together in one stand on such an important occasion for you does seem a bit of a risk. That said, let’s hope both sides show respect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Being a City fan is rarely dull!  In between our opening game and this one quite a bit has happened, including:

Alex Scott joining AFC Bournemouth for an undisclosed Bristol City club record fee

A convincing cup win

In the final game of last season the Lions needed to win to secure a play-off place, at half time they were 3-1 ahead, at the final whistle it was Millwall 3 Blackburn 4, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65445638

Millwall have an interesting intimidation tactic, even before the two sets of players head out onto the pitch. The tunnel is purposely narrow with the players rubbing shoulders while LED lights aim to create a daunting, hostile entrance: https://fb.watch/hL8A8PkS2u/

At the end of January on deadline day they signed Duncan Whatmore from Boro….. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64460429

In June they announced that a deal had been agreed to sign Kevin Nisbet. The 26-year-old striker joined The Lions from Hibernian on a long-term contract, for an undisclosed fee.

At the end of June they signed Joe Bryan on a free transfer, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66067717

They signed Casper de Norre from OH Leuven for an undisclosed fee and brought in former Rotherham defender Wes Harding.

Also added goalkeeper Matija Sarkic in early August from Wolverhampton Wanderers for an undisclosed fee.

Guide to the Den: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/the-den-millwall.html

Head-to-head record

Referee: Keith Stroud. Assistants: Matthew Smith and Richard Wild. Fourth official: Ben Atkinson

We have received bids of £8m+ for Zian Flemming (the Bermondsey Berkhamp). If he stays we have the strongest squad we’ve had for years. 

Nisbet will add to our striking options. Whatmore was not fit when he arrived last year but is looking good in pre-season, plus we have England youth international Romain Esse who is very highly rated. 

Defensively Bryan looks better than we had last year with Harding providing competition across the back line. De Norre is unknown but we are hoping that he will be another improvement. 

The championship looks very strong this year but otherwise I would be (not so) quietly confident for once!!!  Assume that means relegation beckons?

Last Saturday they opened their campaign with an away win at Middlesbrough thanks to Romain Esse's first goal for the Lions. The 18-year-old broke the deadlock in the 79th minute when fellow substitute Aidomo Emakhu crossed from the left and Esse struck the ball into the top corner, https://youtu.be/59QZiqVDFRo

On Tuesday they lost 4-0 at home against Reading despite having 59% possession, 20 shots (4 on target) and 12 corners (Reading didn’t have a single corner!) https://youtu.be/1HXtqF7T_Rw

The turnstiles at The Den will open at 1.30pm, whilst James Berylson - new Chairman and John's son - will visit the SE16 Fan Zone at 2pm to meet supporters.

From 2.45pm, the Berylson family will be pitchside for the duration of the commemorations, which get underway with an EFL presentation.

Following that, a tribute video - in memory of John - will play on the big screen. At its conclusion, the Berylson family will be introduced to the crowd, before the players and officials emerge from the tunnel, with both captains carrying wreaths.

A minute's applause will then take place as both sides gather at the centre-circle, before the skippers lay their respective wreaths behind each goal.

Millwall musings

Their all-time leading goalscorer is Teddy Sheringham who scored 111 goals for the club.

Millwall’s highest league finish occurred in the 1987-1988 season when they finished 10th in the old First Division.

The Lions reached the FA Cup final once in their history, in 2004, but were runners-up.

Well known fans include Daniel Day-Lewis, David Haye, Blake Harrison, Tamer Hassan and Danny Baker.

They have been relegated from the Football League on several occasions, most recently in the 1996-1997 season.

Pubs

There aren’t many away-friendly pubs near The Den itself, so most away fans tend to drink in the London Bridge area.

I don’t expect us to win every game we have no right away from home but what we should be is competitive m, I don’t want to see games where teams have 20 efforts on goal compared with our 5 or 10 corners to our 2

At this stage in Pearsons tenure we should be competitive with teams like Millwall home or away like every team that comes to Ashton Gate ! Good performances results will come ! I just hope for Pearsons sake the results come early and not late this year as the fans will turn if we are lower half come October I have no doubt 

Edited by Fred89
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

A convincing cup win

Head-to-head record

Millwall musings

Pubs

Head to head according to the Official Site, We have beaten Millwall 37 times. Millwall have lost to us 27 times. 

IMG_2965.thumb.png.3c81bc64f0ef9fba2206eb08d38d9cca.png

• Haha 5