What do we reckon to the team today? 
Pring or Roberts

Sykes or Cornick

Bell or Mehmeti 

Max

Tanner.  Vyner. Dickie. Pring 

Knight.  James. Williams 

Sykes       Wells.       Bell 

I'd mostly go with that given what we have available although the midfield 3 faltered v Preston, their shape had a bit to do with it too..

Perhaps that side or set up better counter attacking on the road but I have reservation about the midfield...lacks a little bit of craft and possession.

38 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I've been struggling with this .

Whether people like it or not, hooliganism is a part of football fan culture… and in places like inner city London, as well as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Bristol, these people do command respect amongst many of their community peers. 

However, what I meant by it was that people automatically equate hooligans with skinhead White blokes, especially Millwall hooligans. The reality was and is very different. Ian ‘Tiny’ Garwood is a terrace legend at Millwall… and being a very cool, Black south London geezer, he could not be further from the stereotype. (Pictured)

I would argue the Millwall hooligan scene is far more inclusive than the BBC, law firms, banks etc.

And as hard as it is to accept for many, a lot of the hooligans I have meet whilst following Millwall are actually pretty decent blokes… they just happen to like a punch up with like minded individuals. Indeed, some have been more knowledgable than most on football history etc. 

1406D81D-73E4-4CC1-BF83-920152DAF80E.jpeg

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, chowie said:

Great read thank you.

My Great Grandfather Alf 'Jasper' Geddes played for Millwall & Bristol City, I think this picture is displayed at The Den somewhere (or used to be)

Signed to Bristol City from Millwall (via Bedminster) in 1899 then stayed here and my Nan was born 11 years later.

GeddesAEMillwall-scaled.jpg?v=1608087982

Ah yes, I did a history piece on him for the match day programme when we played Bristol City a few seasons ago. I will try and dig it out when I get a moment. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Whether people like it or not, hooliganism is a part of football fan culture… and in places like inner city London, as well as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Bristol, these people do command respect amongst many of their community peers. 

However, what I meant by it was that people automatically equate hooligans with skinhead White blokes, especially Millwall hooligans. The reality was and is very different. Ian ‘Tiny’ Garwood is a terrace legend at Millwall… and being a very cool, Black south London geezer, he could not be further from the stereotype. (Pictured)

I would argue the Millwall hooligan scene is far more inclusive than the BBC, law firms, banks etc.

And as hard as it is to accept for many, a lot of the hooligans I have meet whilst following Millwall are actually pretty decent blokes… they just happen to like a punch up with like minded individuals. Indeed, some have been more knowledgable than most on football history etc. 

1406D81D-73E4-4CC1-BF83-920152DAF80E.jpeg

hooligan
noun

1. a violent young troublemaker, typically one of a gang.

So going back quite a few years I was having my usual pre-match pint or two at The Try Again - a really peaceful City pub when a small group of Millwall supporters  burst in hit the nearest people and ran out. One was a young lad and the other was an old fella who suffered a cut above his eye. These were not "like minded people"- just people wanting to watch a game of football in peace.

Hooligans pretending to support any team be it Bristol City or Millwall are, imo, absolute scum and do not deserve respect from anyone. If they want to fight then do it elsewhere and not in pretence of being a football fan. 

I like your history lesson but equally despise your comment regarding respect for these sub humans and NO - they are not "decent blokes".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Phew, one of my biggest concerns when I or others get physically attacked or intimidated due to the football team I support is whether it's by an appropriately racially diverse group reflective of the nearby area. That really sets me at ease for future Millwall trips!

That was not the point I was making. I thought I explained that I was talking about stereotypes - as it was a reply to a post about inequality/diversity.

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:
hooligan

noun

1. a violent young troublemaker, typically one of a gang.

So going back quite a few years I was having my usual pre-match pint or two at The Try Again - a really peaceful City pub when a small group of Millwall supporters  burst in hit the nearest people and ran out. One was a young lad and the other was an old fella who suffered a cut above his eye. These were not "like minded people"- just people wanting to watch a game of football in peace.

Hooligans pretending to support any team be it Bristol City or Millwall are, imo, absolute scum and do not deserve respect from anyone. If they want to fight then do it elsewhere and not in pretence of being a football fan. 

I like your history lesson but equally despise your comment regarding respect for these sub humans and NO - they are not "decent blokes".

I did not say you had to respect them or that they deserve respect. I said that whether people like it or not, they do command respect from many in their communities… and this was linked to my challenge to the stereotype of all hooligans being right-wing White blokes. Ie Tiny commanded respect, despite him the opposite to the stereotype.

Furthermore, I said those that I had personally met… many seemed like decent blokes overall. They were firefighters, ex military, bank managers, one was a medic!! I cannot be sure, but they seemed only interested in like minded individuals. To be fair, this was in the late 90s and early 2000s, when I went away to most games. Perhaps things have changed, society feels a lot more obnoxious overall nowadays. I find most modern football crowds obnoxious now, sadly, not just the hooligans. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I did not say you had to respect them or that they deserve respect. I said that whether people like it or not, they do command respect from many in their communities… and this was linked to my challenge to the stereotype of all hooligans being right-wing White blokes. Ie Tiny commanded respect, despite him the opposite to the stereotype.

Furthermore, I said those that I had personally met… many seemed like decent blokes overall. They were firefighters, ex military, bank managers, one was a medic!! I cannot be sure, but they seemed only interested in like minded individuals. To be fair, this was in the late 90s and early 2000s, when I went away to most games. Perhaps things have changed, society feels a lot more obnoxious overall nowadays. I find most modern football crowds obnoxious now, sadly, not just the hooligans. 

We'll  agree to disagree.

I hope you have an enjoyable  incident free match today and I'm sure that our fans will willingly show the respect to your former owner during his tribute.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Phew, one of my biggest concerns when I or others get physically attacked or intimidated due to the football team I support is whether it's by an appropriately racially diverse group reflective of the nearby area. That really sets me at ease for future Millwall trips!

Me watching a group of hooligan diickheads kick the crap out of some 14 yr old away fans...

"What a wonderfully ethnically diverse group!  Bravo! Well done Millwall, so progressive"

1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

That was not the point I was making. I thought I explained that I was talking about stereotypes - as it was a reply to a post about inequality/diversity.

Nobody gives a tit about how diverse your moron hooligan groups are

Wow, the guy kicking the sheet out of some innocent kid is a black bank manager. Amazing wow,  such respect 

Edited by Red Ferret
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

Utter toss.

2 hours ago, Piccolo said:

They were firefighters, ex military, bank managers, one was a medic!!

I'd say that is a poor reflection on the recruitment standards of those jobs and institutions rather than a positive reflection on the character of the hooligans.

Semi-organised mob-violence aside, for me the big question in today's game is can we put out a front 6 that can play our own game, keep the ball moving on the deck, and create enough chances for our forwards to finish?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Probs thinks pringy has a more physical presence at the back 

Also one of our best players last season, who didn’t have his best game against a very decent Championship side, when lots of others also below average. Roberts has no Championship experience and played very well against a poor League One team. Would be disappointed if NP saw that combination of factors as reason to drop Pring. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery
  • Like 3