IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I think he makes a lot of good comments and then throws rogue comments in for some reason that aren’t relevant or in the case of selling a player for £25m every season nonsensical.

Difficult to judge on that clip but I don't think he's going to get rid of Nige or the coaching set up. I think he's just saying we're going to be more careful (not boom and bust)

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

That goes for every single one of us!!

Hes moved to jersey to avoid that! Right or wrong i dont get that people who have money should hand it to the government to waste. Bearing in mine its already been taxed! Inheritance tax is just a robbing exercise 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, BS30 City said:

Hes moved to jersey to avoid that! Right or wrong i dont get that people who have money should hand it to the government to waste. Bearing in mine its already been taxed! Inheritance tax is just a robbing exercise 

Guernsey!

The rest who knows, bit for the politics forum IMO. Wish I hadn't mentioned the move to Guernsey, just the context was more out of touch etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Robin 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It could mean many things but the chances of us turning a £25m profit on players each season is incredibly slim.

Further, it could also mean using it to underpin higher spending, which was one of our problems in the first place!

If we are needing it as part of FFP compliance plans then we really would be in a mess!

I took that with a pinch of salt, of course we're not. I think some people take everything too literally.

I think he just means damage limitation.

Perhaps having a nest egg makes the club more preferable if he puts it up for sale… 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I took that with a pinch of salt, of course we're not. I think some people take everything too literally.

I think he just means damage limitation.

Perhaps having a nest egg makes the club more preferable if he puts it up for sale… 

Definitely could be with a sale in mind, means he can start putting a bit less money in to keep the lights on (cash flow, not profit and loss), perhaps pay down a bit of his debt if a positive cash flow.

Hopefully the full interview as and when it is out will provide some context.

1 minute ago, BS30 City said:

Sorry off topic! 

Fair, typical OTIB I guess. :)

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

The real problem here is that there is no succession.

When SL passes, and we all hope that will be a long time ahead Jon is simply not interested in  owning or running City.

Any organisation needs someone to drive it forward from the top, or it will fail.

That person needs to have certain traits in my opinion and I don’t think Jon has them.

If SL passes without selling the club then I think Jon will sell it asap, not withstanding Maggies ownership, she is an active supporter of her husband and the club, but I can’t see her wanting or being able to run the club.

Without a genuine successor life could get very difficult for BCFC pretty quickly.

22 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Is it greed to want to keep your own money, I suppose if it was yours you'd just hand it over to the government?

10 minutes ago, BS30 City said:

So you work hard and do well then throw it to government who waste it! Dont be stupid, should go to family or whoever they want! 

Dunno about you but I'm quite fond of having the NHS, police, fire service, the people who defend our country, the people who collect your rubbish etc etc and I'd like them to be adequately funded. But apparently a billionaire hasn't got enough money in the bank.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s a shame we lost Gould. The bloke knew what he was doing and seemed to have a great working relationship with the Manager. Exactly what you want your CEO to be.

Gould still had disagreements with both Pearson and Lansdown. Healthy, professional disagreements though, debates that still led to decisions rather than stalemates.

There will always be some people complaining whatever the perceptions of the ownership, board, and manager. If they're mates then you hear "cosy club for the boys" if there's no public love-in then suddenly Steve's out of touch and hates the manager. The truth, as always, will be somewhere in between. I understand some people get their pants wet for Nigel, and he's done a bloody good job these past two years, but in no shape or form does that guarantee his future success with us.

I'm getting off the topic and onto a soap box. As I said earlier, the idea that we can raise £25m in player sales every year is delusional. We've done it maybe 3 times in the last decade? (The Bryan, Flint, Reid summer, the Webster sale, and this summer). If that's "sustainable" then I'm a giraffe.

If we are.to escape this division in the desired direction then we have to form a plan, align our resources, and then appoint people capable of executing it.

PS. @Robbored if you think Lansdown has put only £50m in you're kidding yourself. More like four times that amount I suspect.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Gould still had disagreements with both Pearson and Lansdown. Healthy, professional disagreements though, debates that still led to decisions rather than stalemates.

There will always be some people complaining whatever the perceptions of the ownership, board, and manager. If their mates then you hear "cosy club for the boys" if there's no public love-in then suddenly Steve's out of touch and hates the manager. The truth, as always, will be somewhere in between. I understand some people get their pants wet for Nigel, and he's done a bloody good job these past two years, but in no shape or form does that guarantee his future success with us.

I'm getting off the topic and onto a soap box. As I said earlier, the idea that we can raise £25m in player sales every year is delusional. We've done it maybe 3 times in the last decade? (The Bryan, Flint, Reid summer, the Webster sale, and this summer). If that's "sustainable" then I'm a giraffe.

If we are.to escape this division in the desired direction then we have to form a plan, align our resources, and then appoint people capable of executing it.

PS. @Robbored if you think Lansdown has put only £50m in you're kidding yourself. More like four times that amount I suspect.

Of course disagreements happen and yes that’s a good thing. When Gould spoke what he said made sense. Totally different style to the previous egotistical CEO. My concern at the moment is Phil Alexander has said practically bugger all. All we have that we can tangibly measure from him is a kit deal that has divided opinions to put it politely!! Is PA the man to execute the plan you speak of? Who knows? I’d like to hear from him soon tbh.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Of course disagreements happen and yes that’s a good thing. When Gould spoke what he said made sense. Totally different style to the previous egotistical CEO. My concern at the moment is Phil Alexander has said practically bugger all. All we have that we can tangibly measure from him is a kit deal that has divided opinions to put it politely!! Is PA the man to execute the plan you speak of? Who knows? I’d like to hear from him soon tbh.

I agree with all of what you say here, and if in those last few lines you are expressing doubts, then I echo those. I have doubts about all three of the owner, the CEO, and the manager. I've also said that ultimately the off field situation of a football club gets reflected on the pitch. That's not a positive thing for us right now.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I wonder how many views will change when the full interview is released early this week, instead of judgements based on a few sentences. ?

I understood from the Twitter intro to the clip that the full interview was about his new golf venture. This was the City related question. Could be wrong of course!

• Like 1

Ten pages to catch up. Lots of views.

SL isn’t the messiah and he isn’t a naughty boy either.

He has backed the club. He has developed the infrastructure that is around us to provide a great match day stadium & experience for two sports teams (just think about how many away fans come and compliment the fanzone). 
Both clubs have superb training facilities. 

He is planning to build an associated sports / entertainment arena next to Ashton Gate to further enhance the match day and non match day experience.

But we’ve had some misfires over the past few years in leadership and managerial appointments? We’re yet to reach the top flight under him but it is not as if we had extended spells in the top flight pre SL to leave us longing for past glories. 

However - we are still moving towards being a financially stable club, mainly in control of all our facilities and even if we got relegated the club is stable enough to not crash & burn?

We aren’t the shambles of a club structure that half our division - or most of the lower leagues - are. 

Yes - we’d like more but so many clubs misfire in achieving it and then are a complete shambles going forward. At least we aren’t exactly that shambles (yet…)

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I understood from the Twitter intro to the clip that the full interview was about his new golf venture. This was the City related question. Could be wrong of course!

If you listen to the clip...it sounds mid conversation about City...not a one off question. That's how it comes across to me. 

Either way...I find it very odd how conclusions can be made from the small clip like we've had on this thread.  ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mozo said:

Dunno about you but I'm quite fond of having the NHS, police, fire service, the people who defend our country, the people who collect your rubbish etc etc and I'd like them to be adequately funded. But apparently a billionaire hasn't got enough money in the bank.

I was on about inheritance tax princess, a little random that you think that should pay for such amenities 

9 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Well I imagine most OTIB users do just that, taxes pay for things like school and hospitals...

..but hey, lets not derail this!

SL must pay plenty of tax it's just the amount we're talking about, and his ex-business HL have contributed loads to the UK economy, they're one of the top companies in the country. Even City's stadium build would have generated a few millions in tax so he has contributed plenty to schools the NHS etc but nobody wants to be fleeced

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mozo said:

SL will have already paid more tax than all of us put together earn in a life time 

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s nonsense.

Are you not aware of the FFP danger that City were in after Ashton/LJ  handed out generous contracts that only this season have become manageable? The sale of Kelly and Scott have helped balance the books thankfully along with Nige reducing the wage bill.

SL has over the years ploughed over £50m of his own money into the club and I’m glad that he’s the majority shareholder rather than have a non Bristolian with no affection for our wonderful city.

According to FL World SL has invested  some 240million, however it does not say if that is soley BCFC or other interests Bristol Sport etc; his current estimated worth is some 1.82 Billion, as prev stated this is not 240m just given away but an investment, which at some stage no doubt he would like a return/profit on.

No doubt also that he is looking for buyers to recover some/all of this, money will no doubt be a major factor in any sale, probably more of a factor than leaving us in "safe" hands;

Ask our latest player we sold if money was a major factor, loyalty takes a back seat when money talks.

14 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

@Robbored 

Why do you always make pointless comments, then when people try to engage you just put emoji icons? 

It’s almost like you are not interested unless you are winding/Trolling someone.

No doubt put an emoji to this and be laughing to yourself.

Emoji’s can say as much as words……….:cool2: