IGNORED

If only we had held our nerve and kept theses players together

where's the joy

Sorry that was a little terse of me but some of those are close to retirement and it takes little to no account of reality of life in this League.

Could you also show some workings @where's the joy

Who do we not sign in 2018-19 if we keep Bryan and Reid? Some sort of FFP shortfall is likely. Maybe have to sacrifice one or two.

Is it still Flint out, Webster in.

If we don't go up we get no fee for Bryan and Reid (honourable mention for Magnússon and Eliasson in some respects as useful but not essential).

Bryan and Reid were sold going into their final season, Semenyo was a part of keeping our head above water perhaps.

We can shave £15-20m off the profit on disposal which hems us in majorly for Bryan and Reid. Some workings?

£25-30m with Kelly and Webster too, how are you balancing the FFP books. Or have we got promoted in 2018-19.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Point I think the op was making was we could have made a great prem team up out of recent off loaded players, for me it started when we off loaded the late Chris Garland to Chelsea for £100,000.............gone downhill since then and its a bad habit we have to break if we are actually going to build anything anytime soon.

17 minutes ago, wtf said:

Point I think the op was making was we could have made a great prem team up out of recent off loaded players, for me it started when we off loaded the late Chris Garland to Chelsea for £100,000.............gone downhill since then and its a bad habit we have to break if we are actually going to build anything anytime soon.

Most of us get the point wtf but City have always been a selling club - it’s an essential part of making ends meet - just listen to SLs latest comments.

If we had been able to keep even half of the players that have been sold in the last 10 years we’d possibly be in the PL right now especially if Nige was our manager - no point crying over spilled milk tho………:dunno:

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

It's nothing to do with unambitious ownership, it's quite simple really, when a PL club comes calling most if not all championship players will jump at the chance of joining them.

Not solely PL either.

Gykores- Sporting, European football plus a decent sized club.

Akpom- Lens, French runners up with CL football...and PSG perhaps in transition so a crack at the title.

That is from Play-off finalists and semi finalist btw, probably historically bigger clubs than us too the 2 selling clubs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not solely PL either.

Gykores- Sporting, European football plus a decent sized club.

Akpom- Lens, French runners up with CL football...and PSG perhaps in transition so a crack at the title.

That is from Play-off finalists and semi finalist btw, probably historically bigger clubs than us too the 2 selling clubs.

What about Chelsea?

Bet they wished they held on to De Bruyne and Salah!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Most of us get the point wtf but City have always been a selling club - it’s an essential part of making ends meet - just listen to SLs latest comments.

If we had been able to keep even half of the players that have been sold in the last 10 years we’d possibly be in the PL right now especially if Nige was our manager - no point crying over spilled milk tho………:dunno:

making ends meet? those will be the ends that SL made then? his club his decisions, his money.

Dont the other clubs mentioned before; Brentford, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth etc also have to make ends meet? maybe their money man/men/women took on better managers to manage their ends as they passed us by.

If we have to sell our best persistently, then we are not being run well and that comes around to one man.

Yes our stadium has been redeveloped which by the way, if I remember was "not an option" when the new stad was on the table across the road;

Wont be crying over spilt milk, to old now and on my last legs but still care about my club even if I cant/dont go anymore.

8 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Just wishful thinking and poor spelling on my part, but with more ambitious ownership what core of quality players might we have held onto 

Please read up on what happened to Bristol city in 1982

Or recently Bury, Hereford, Chester, Portsmouth, Leeds, Also have a look at what'd going on at qpr and Reading and very recently Derby 

It's nothing to do with an owners ambition it's to do with keeping a club solvent 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wtf said:

This isn't football manager

We can't afford to pay those players 40k a week,

Unless you want ticket prices to be 500 quid for kids and 809 quid for adults

Solvency is the most important thing but the best measure for stability and or need for trading is the Cash Flow statement and or the debt.

Cash Flow isn't an issue for as long as SL is happy and able to cover it.

Debt isn't an issue so long as SL isn't demanding repayment and any external debt isn't a major issue.

The Cash Flow can be supplemented by transfer revenue, instalments but that is very much an SL issue but if he sticks in the equity, cash flow well.

• Like 1

As for how it fits to FFP aka P&S a typical 3 Year cycle means a 3 Year Loss before tax, adjusted at £39m after allowances not exceeding £60m before tax.

I believe that our typical 3 Year FFP figure is £7m per year hence the difference between £39m and £60m.

By way of example of we played £70m in pre tax losses over 3 years before Player Disposal Profits and other costs remained the same, we would need a 3 Year Profit on Disposal of Players of £10m, say £5m, £2m and £3m. This would equate to £49m in FFP 3 year losses without and £39m with.

This would take us back to £60m in 3 Years aggregate Pre Tax losses.

10 hours ago, wtf said:

making ends meet? those will be the ends that SL made then? his club his decisions, his money.

Dont the other clubs mentioned before; Brentford, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth etc also have to make ends meet? maybe their money man/men/women took on better managers to manage their ends as they passed us by.

If we have to sell our best persistently, then we are not being run well and that comes around to one man.

Yes our stadium has been redeveloped which by the way, if I remember was "not an option" when the new stad was on the table across the road;

Wont be crying over spilt milk, to old now and on my last legs but still care about my club even if I cant/dont go anymore.

The fallacy here is that clubs who get promoted to so by keeping their best players. That’s absolute rubbish I’m afraid. Buying and selling good players is a part of any team’s journey towards the top.

Let’s look at Brentford for example. Below are the players they SOLD in the 19/20 season. Maupay and Konsa both left for big money. Did it stop their progression? No. They finished 3rd that season, and were promoted the following year.

The most “well run” clubs are not the ones who don’t sell their best players - they’re the ones who sell them for the right price at the right time and use the money effectively to continue progressing.

72113CB3-7152-4E11-8F91-E53B796B8975.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Flames 1