IGNORED

It’s not just Bristol

redkev

Went over to Cardiff today with Mrs Kev for some retail therapy ( always prefer Cardiff shopping ) and a couple of ??, I always look out for the sheepshaggers whilst I’m wandering around behind her laden with Primark ( I mean Armani bags ) but today no sign of them . 3 Man Utd shirts /  6 Chelsea shirts ( near station so probably on way to game ) 2 Liverpool Shirts ( sat in boozer I was in so not going to game ) 1 Newcastle shirt 1 Arsenal shirt 2 qpr shirts again near station so probably heading back to London 1 wales shirt but pride of place goes to bloke walking loud & proud around shopping centre with England shirt on ?  , also a lad with a Swansea track suit top 

so as the title says it’s not just Bristol where you see the plastic prem fans 

Edited by redkev
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Dare I say it but would like to see Cardiff shirts in Cardiff and Bristol City and Rovers shirts in Bristol opposed to Chelsea, Man C, Man U etc. Respect  folk who follow their local team (yes, including Gas) rather than Premier League. 

Two cases in point - Plymouth and Exeter. You are much more likely to see folks in Argyle or Grecian shirts round the town than PL ones. I find it refreshing.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Went over to Cardiff today with Mrs Kev for some retail therapy ( always prefer Cardiff shopping ) and a couple of ??, I always look out for the sheepshaggers whilst I’m wandering around behind her laden with Primark ( I mean Armani bags ) but today no sign of them . 3 Man Utd shirts /  6 Chelsea shirts ( near station so probably on way to game ) 2 Liverpool Shirts ( sat in boozer I was in so not going to game ) 1 Newcastle shirt 1 Arsenal shirt 2 qpr shirts again near station so probably heading back to London 1 wales shirt but pride of place goes to bloke walking loud & proud around shopping centre with England shirt on ?  , also a lad with a Swansea track suit top 

I picked my grandson up from a pro. football training camp at Newton Abbot and not one single City , Plymouth , Exeter or other local club shirts in view. Young master Isewater was wearing his England kit. 

• Robin 3

Can remember a couple of years back driving down Queen Street, Newton Abbot as the schools came out and a youngster was wearing a City shirt alongside his mates. Good lad. 

Torquay has good representation, shirt wise, around South Devon, more Exeter east of the Exe.  Certainly seems with the youngsters down here a greater affinity with the local sides.

The very few Gas clown shirts I’ve spotted down here are associated with old fossils on coach day trips from their Bristol care homes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

my son is a Bristol City fan as he’s been brought up properly. The less said about most of his friends parents the better 

Absolutely. Everyone knows they don’t have a choice. And nothing annoys me more when they do a stupid “Sui” chant that Ronaldo does. My word it boils my piss!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

I took my grand daughter to the inflatables park which is visiting Portishead again this year. I must have seen 6 -10 City shirts on both boys and girls, I saw one in his jesters outfit too. I was tempted to say something to the parents of the lad in a Barca shirt, but then they started talking to eachother in Spanish, so I thought that was fair enough. :)

I Don't know where in Spain they were from though obviously!

Generally I expect to see more out of town teams represented here because there are a lot of people who are here on contract from all over the country.

Recently had 10 nights in Italy, lakes and mountains.

Saw only 1 football shirt the whole time, a Man U shirt on a young girl.

Was also in Italy for the World Cup 2006 around when they beat Germany in the semi. No flags on houses or cars, no shirts being worn. Mind you when they won the semi the town went nuts, all the locals from nearby villages came into town in farm trucks and tractors and spent the night driving around sounding horns and waving flags.

My father in law wanted an Italian football shirt brought back but I had to wait until the airport duty free before I could find on on sale.

Football shirts seems to be a British thing apart from Germany or do I have that wrong?

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I took my grand daughter to the inflatables park which is visiting Portishead again this year. I must have seen 6 -10 City shirts on both boys and girls, I saw one in his jesters outfit too. I was tempted to say something to the parents of the lad in a Barca shirt, but then they started talking to eachother in Spanish, so I thought that was fair enough. :)

I Don't know where in Spain they were from though obviously!

Generally I expect to see more out of town teams represented here because there are a lot of people who are here on contract from all over the country.

What were you “tempted” to say to the kids parents in a Barca top?

It’s none of your business what football tops kids wear. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Was also in Italy for the World Cup 2006 around when they beat Germany in the semi. No flags on houses or cars, no shirts being worn. Mind you when they won the semi the town went nuts, all the locals from nearby villages came into town in farm trucks and tractors and spent the night driving around sounding horns and waving flags.

My father in law wanted an Italian football shirt brought back but I had to wait until the airport duty free before I could find on on sale.

Football shirts seems to be a British thing apart from Germany or do I have that wrong?

Italians have too much style to wear sweat shop made football shirts!  Their football scarves are great though and the big accessory for Italian fans 

2 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

I could be wrong but I think they were making a joke

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

No it’s pretty much universal. It used to be scarves and hats but now people are brainwashed into buying a shirt to show how good a supporter they are. 

• Like 2

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of football shirts, and I’m still somewhat of a collector.

My grandparents in particular would often bring me back a shirt when they went on holiday.

I remember having Dundee, Newcastle, Arsenal, Ajax, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, Parma to name a few plus a USA shirt. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything if kids wear different shirts, especially young lads while they are trying to fit in.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

When I was a kid I loved all sorts of football shirts, and I’m still somewhat of a collector.

My grandparents in particular would often bring me back a shirt when they went on holiday.

I remember having Dundee, Newcastle, Arsenal, Ajax, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens, Parma to name a few plus a USA shirt. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything if kids wear different shirts, especially young lads while they are trying to fit in.

It’s called having some culture ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

This is one thing that City have got spot on - the free shirt with the U12s season ticket. 

Perhaps, no doubt there is a big uptake as tickets are so cheap. But when my two were small I bought them their ST's and shirts anyway. So I think the club got more money out of me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redkev said:

Odd thing about Cardiff is that for a capital city (didn't become one until 1950), it is very provincial. However, this doesn't even give it a redeeming sense of place - you really could be anywhere.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

On the Rovers thread you are literally backing the bloke who said he hurled Dogs abuse at a bloke at Paddington who was with his kids wearing Rovers shirts & claiming that those who are shooting him down for it are "grown men crying about it"..!!

• Thanks 1

Growing up replica football shirts were unheard of so it’s not something that I ever got into. However since the introduction of the PL and high level of TV coverage we’re are exposed to masses of live football.

The more successful clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea both Manchester clubs have largely youngsters see it as prestigious to wear that clubs shirt. The fact many have never been to actual match is neither here or there

In Nailsea it’s the same - lots of kids wearing PL club shirts and very few Bristol City ones. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, redkev said:

In Cardiff's defence, I live in Cardiff and don't frequent the town centre and that's when you see all the Cardiff shirts, most of the people in the town centre are visiting from the valleys, tourists etc In my day-to-day life out and about around Cardiff I see way more Cardiff City shirts than Premier League shirts. I think it'd be the same for Bristol, if you go to the centre you're bound to see more Prem teams because you'll have people visiting, you'll have fans who don't go to any games etc

14 hours ago, redkev said:

Cardiff is a capital city and will attract a lot of UK tourism not surprising to see a mix 

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Italians have too much style to wear sweat shop made football shirts!  

I think the 'made in a sweat shop' part is a myth.

Pretty much all of the clothing worn in Italy is made in sweat shops. In fact, there is a town near Florence, Prato, which is full of Chinese owned sweatshops. That's probably repeated all over Italy **

Clothes sold in shops in Italy with 'made in Italy' labels are absurdly expensive and not especially high quality.  A huge proportion of the populating are really struggling, especially in the south.

I will say though that Italians are very image conscious, as the saying goes, an Italian woman would go without food to buy a new handbag.  

Specifically about club shirts - in my experience, it's common to see young people wearing the Italian shirt.  During Internationals, there are flags everywhere!

** OFF TOPIC: .  Two reasons for this I think: 1. they have sold off a lot of their industries to China, Germany etc. 2. They can't compete head-to-head due to having to price their goods in the over-valued Euro, rather than the Lira.

Actually, all of my post is probably off topic.

Edited by Elmore James
I went off topic.
  • Like 1