IGNORED

Masters of our own downfall

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t read any else’s comments from about 14:30 so here’s my review.

Surprised at line-up, then saw Wells wasn’t in 20 (19) so kinda got that.  Then found out it was teamsheet error and he was on the bench.  So surprise justified.

Than the game.  Times might not be 100% accurate.

First 5-10 mins: very sloppy, really gave Birmingham a lift early in the game, and then had a few opportunities.  Dembele causing issues for Tanner.  Vyner and O’Leary passing a bit all over the shop.

Next 5-10 mins: parity, we got into the game, started to pass it better, got ball onto Tanner who wasn’t being tracked by Dembele.

Next phase of game until roughly 40 mins: we controlled the game, Williams finding pockets in midfield, Dickie feeding Pring and sometimes getting the ball in front of him too!  Bell occasionally dropping in and then spinning in Cornick.  Cornick getting space, causing a few problems, although a few crosses straight to Ruddy.  Mehmeti pegging back Laird, Knight reversing a few passes onto runners.  Dickie heads over, think it was Tanner had a shot blocked after Cornick’s endeavour.  City, well on top, starting to create chances (5 shots v 4 shots appt this point having been 0-4 after 10 mins).  Looking better, Dickie driving into their half, etc, etc.

40 mins: Laird goes off injured, a moral victory you’d think.  Bacuna back to RB, Miyoshi on in RW.

41 mins:  Vyner whose distribution had been suspect anyway tries to play a Marlon Pack ball through the eye of a needle, underhits it, gets intercepted, they break on us, almost score but for a combo of Williams and O’Leary on the line to deny Miyoshi.  Then comes a flurry of corners and chances that leads to Miyoshi volleying home exquisitely.

HT: basically undone by a stupid 5-8 minute period.  Tanner has been poor, I see Sykes warming up.  I assume he’s the sub.  Take my seat to see Roberts on for Pring.  I’m surprised.  Also see Tanner is out there, surprised further

2nd half:

First few minutes: not a lot happening.

Next 10 minute or so, up to the hour mark: a bit of huff and puffing but we are in the ascendency.  Knight steals from Long, sets Sykes away, fouled, free-kick, hits the wall.  We make some subs.

Next 10 mins, up to 70 minute mark: putting a lot of pressure on from corners, without getting real chances.  Bell wastes at least three chances to sling the ball in with his left foot when beyond Bacuna, each time he tries to check back onto his right foot and the chance is lost.  Roberts has fed him a few times.  Knight is starting to find pockets and feeding Sykes.  Birmingham look out on their arses fitness wise.  Bielik and Sunjic are leaving huge gaps.  But we decide to let them have a couple of chances, one that clips the post, and that gives them a boost.

I lose a bit of track of the timeline at this point.

Next: Dickie suicide.  I assume first half yellow was for backchat.  It comes back to bite him on the arse.  He gets a second yellow.  Game over surely?

Next:  Wells chance.  Oh the effing irony of Bell slinging one in with his left foot.

Game peters out, they score on the counter.

Other points:

O’Leary: couple of crap passes, but distributed the ball decently to Tanner.

Tanner with Dembele back to him got rolled inside everytime. Poor today

Vyner: poor all game, defensively too, but passing especially.

Dickie: stupid.  Played quite well otherwise.

Pring: decent enough / Roberts: decent enough, played Bell in a few times, overhit some pinged cross field passes.

James: important foot-ins early game, did ok

Knight: a bit of the periphery at times, but ok

Williams: decent game, against a low bar, my City MOTM. / Naismith: did ok….shit pass intercepted led to 2nd goal.

Cornick: our first half threat came predominantly down the right side and he did ok. / Sykes: did ok, looked like he might create something

Bell: didn’t impact the game as CF, then wasted lots of chances to cross when LW, poor. / Yeboah: did ok

Mehmeti: worked hard, did ok without really being creative. / Wells: could’ve been the saviour.

Overall, our effing stupid passing out from the back was own downfall.  Generally we weren’t bad…we weren’t great either.  But we have to learn not to conced chances in batches and allow sides off the hook.

Birmingham:  decent enough side.  Gifted the goals / points really.

Today was far more open than I was expected.

In the week, @Spike put up a chart from sofascore to say how poor attacking we were, especially Preston.  Here’s today’s that I’ve just screenshotted.  City top, Brum bottom

IMG_1950.thumb.jpeg.f44ab52da68b9a3ebe9c1304e7bc52bb.jpeg

I’m sure most will say how shit we were today, but the timeline tells is slightly different.

Did we create great chances, certainly not.  But we did work the ball into good areas.  That isn’t enough, I accept that.

Generally, we just about played ok, but the individual errors exaggerate the performance negatively.  Those errors frustrate / anger me tonight.

Mods - merge if you like, but I’d prefer you didn’t.

Great summary - I could be wrong but I think Dickie was booked for tapping the ball away a few yards, similar to the Brum player earlier in the half. 

Either way he’s more than experienced enough to know not to dive in like that when on a yellow. Easy decision for the ref.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Surprised at line-up, then saw Wells wasn’t in 20 (19) so kinda got that.  Then found out it was teamsheet error and he was on the bench.  So surprise justified.

First 5-10 mins: very sloppy, really gave Birmingham a lift early in the game, and then had a few opportunities.  Dembele causing issues for Tanner.  Vyner and O’Leary passing a bit all over the shop.

Next 5-10 mins: parity, we got into the game, started to pass it better, got ball onto Tanner who wasn’t being tracked by Dembele.

Next phase of game until roughly 40 mins: we controlled the game, Williams finding pockets in midfield, Dickie feeding Pring and sometimes getting the ball in front of him too!  Bell occasionally dropping in and then spinning in Cornick.  Cornick getting space, causing a few problems, although a few crosses straight to Ruddy.  Mehmeti pegging back Laird, Knight reversing a few passes onto runners.  Dickie heads over, think it was Tanner had a shot blocked after Cornick’s endeavour.  City, well on top, starting to create chances (5 shots v 4 shots appt this point having been 0-4 after 10 mins).  Looking better, Dickie driving into their half, etc, etc.

40 mins: Laird goes off injured, a moral victory you’d think.  Bacuna back to RB, Miyoshi on in RW.

41 mins:  Vyner whose distribution had been suspect anyway tries to play a Marlon Pack ball through the eye of a needle, underhits it, gets intercepted, they break on us, almost score but for a combo of Williams and O’Leary on the line to deny Miyoshi.  Then comes a flurry of corners and chances that leads to Miyoshi volleying home exquisitely.

HT: basically undone by a stupid 5-8 minute period.  Tanner has been poor, I see Sykes warming up.  I assume he’s the sub.  Take my seat to see Roberts on for Pring.  I’m surprised.  Also see Tanner is out there, surprised further

2nd half:

Next 10 minute or so, up to the hour mark: a bit of huff and puffing but we are in the ascendency.  Knight steals from Long, sets Sykes away, fouled, free-kick, hits the wall.  We make some subs.

Next 10 mins, up to 70 minute mark: putting a lot of pressure on from corners, without getting real chances.  Bell wastes at least three chances to sling the ball in with his left foot when beyond Bacuna, each time he tries to check back onto his right foot and the chance is lost.  Roberts has fed him a few times.  Knight is starting to find pockets and feeding Sykes.  Birmingham look out on their arses fitness wise.  Bielik and Sunjic are leaving huge gaps.  But we decide to let them have a couple of chances, one that clips the post, and that gives them a boost.

Next: Dickie suicide.  I assume first half yellow was for backchat.  It comes back to bite him on the arse.  He gets a second yellow.  Game over surely?

Next:  Wells chance.  Oh the effing irony of Bell slinging one in with his left foot.

Other points:

Pring: decent enough / Roberts: decent enough, played Bell in a few times, overhit some pinged cross field passes.

Williams: decent game, against a low bar, my City MOTM. / Naismith: did ok….shit pass intercepted led to 2nd goal.

Cornick: our first half threat came predominantly down the right side and he did ok. / Sykes: did ok, looked like he might create something

Bell: didn’t impact the game as CF, then wasted lots of chances to cross when LW, poor. / Yeboah: did ok

Mehmeti: worked hard, did ok without really being creative. / Wells: could’ve been the saviour.

Overall, our effing stupid passing out from the back was own downfall.  Generally we weren’t bad…we weren’t great either.  But we have to learn not to conced chances in batches and allow sides off the hook.

In the week, @Spike put up a chart from sofascore to say how poor attacking we were, especially Preston.  Here’s today’s that I’ve just screenshotted.  City top, Brum bottom

I’m sure most will say how shit we were today, but the timeline tells is slightly different.

Did we create great chances, certainly not.  But we did work the ball into good areas.  That isn’t enough, I accept that.

Generally, we just about played ok, but the individual errors exaggerate the performance negatively.  Those errors frustrate / anger me tonight.

Dave agree with a lot of the especially the first half but 2 observations stand out for me are:

Cornick cannot maintain possession. He can’t keep the ball and also often gives it away when trying to pass. Many attacks floundered on his inability with the ball. 

We don’t get the ball into the box quickly enough generally. We also are playing the wrong tactics for having either Wells or Bell as a centre forward , as both are better at running onto balls played through the middle, yet we seem Intent on trying to play wide and putting crosses inti the middle.

The other reality that I would suggest hasn’t changed from last season, despite Nige promoting that we have become a possession team, is that we do better when we don’t have lots of the ball to play out slowly for the back but hit quickly on the break. Again over 50% possession and we lose. It’s why our home record remains so bad from season to season.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

In a nutshell.

We didn’t help ourselves today. Kept giving the ball away in dangerous areas which gave them confidence to come at us.

And when we did keep the ball until the final third, we either kicked it out of play or lost our footing.

Poor day all round, gifted them 3 points.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

Whilst it’s true we had the ball in good areas (which chimes with Nige saying we had “chances to create chances”), a part of that is the way Brum played, particularly in the second half. They sat deep and we had 64% possession (per Sky) and over 200 more passes. We were in good areas of the pitch, but often with defenders covering. So I’d argue that our “good areas” (if you like the phase before the phase) were in part designed by Birmingham.

One of the challenges we’ll have this season is to move from a counter attacking team to a possession team. Our pace has gone out of the game currently and that was our main creative outlet. The stats suggest teams are happy to let us have the ball and go deep because when with the ball, we struggle to hit that final phase.

As for the player observations - agree Williams was the pick for me but the way the game was meant he was an obvious sacrifice. Also agree re Bell/Mehmeti (as you know, not sold on either). It won’t shock you to know that I’m really still down on Max’s distribution and think it is a major root cause of our problems. The biggest thing though is that we’re effectively playing 4-3-3 without any creativity in the middle third. They are moving the ball into areas (the phase before the phase again) but it’s just way too slow - and I think that’s by opposition design.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

O’Leary. Passing awful. Put our players under unnecessary pressure in receipt of the ball in our own third. 
Tanner. League 1. 
Pring. Not great today. 
Vyner. Will the real Zak Vyner please stand up. Today was the Vyner everyone thought he was before he had a good season last year. Terrible today. 
Dickie. A number of woeful passes. Very harsh 2nd booking but he put himself in that situation by needlessly kicking the ball away in the first half. That’ll learn him. Or will it. 
James. Pretty much anonymous. 
Williams. Frustrating. He can do some good thing but then passes it out of play when it’s a simple ball. 
Knight. He’s not a ‘10’. Tried to turn the defence a couple of times and didn’t work out. 
Mehmeti. Not very good. 
Cornick. Was the only one in the first half who at least attempted to get at the opposition. Wasn’t great but by no means was he the one who deserved the half-time hooking. 
Bell. Shouldn’t be starting as the central striker. Got totally bullied 1st half. Good cross for the Wells chance. Is 1 good moment per game good enough? 
Roberts. Another who overhit passes out of play. 
Naismith. Improved us in midfield when he came on but then gave away the 2nd. 
Wells. Had the one chance. Fluffed it. 
Yeboah. Only touched it twice I think and showed more intent in those 2 moments than any other forward player all game. 
Sykes. Dave, you said it looked like he might do something. I politely disagree. Every time he gets in a good position I don’t expect anything. Today he passed it out of play. When in a good crossing position he played 1 behind everyone and another hit the first man. He’s bloody awful. 

Sorry. I’m not going overboard as it’s early season, but I saw absolutely no positives in that performance today. 
You make the good point that we had the majority of play after that opening 10 minutes, but anyone would expect most ‘home’ teams to have spells of possession and territorial dominance in games. So yes, we had that for spells but we didn’t do anything with it. All that resulted in those territorially dominant spells were a couple of crosses and a corner. 

We were poor today. I can’t see how any individual performance out there today can be airbrushed into being a decent one. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Interesting that a few of you saw Williams as having a good game - i thought he was poor today and we look much better when Naismith was on the pitch.
I’m not a big fan of Memheti, didn’t think he offered anything, wouldn’t get a start for me. At half time I’d have shoved Pring forward with Robert’s behind or moved Cornick inside and Bell there for Mehmeti, Tanner was poor all game. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Good summary. Recently returned home after going down to watch the game and agree with this all.

Rather underwhelming. Despite having a decent amount of the ball, we just didn't look threatening with it. Almost one dynamic. Poor passes, poor control/touches, limited creativity in the middle. Frustrating really. And like you say, gifted Brum the game - they didn't have to do much and took the chances handed on a plate. Almost as if they were happy to let us have the ball because we weren't doing much with it, especially in the final third.

Game would have been different if Wells scored that chance. Fine margins.

Thought Yeboah's cameo was decent - was actually excited when he received the ball, something different/good pace and was brave enough to take on his man. 17 only too fairplay.

The boos at the end too...I understand frustration but it's farcical this early on. Oh well, onto the next.

• Like 1

@Silvio Dantetotally get what you’re saying, and I agree, although there were times when we got into good position early, rather than just because Brum were set deep per design (I acknowledge that point, ta), and didn’t execute.

Those 3 Bell left foot cross opportunities (I was right in line) and he had daylight to cross.  At worst we get a corner off a deflected cross.  He showed why you just flash it across the 6-yard box with your left foot, and don’t think twice.

But you totally **** your own midfield if you keep selling passes short, don’t you.  They’re looking to get on the half-turn and roll away from their man, yet we pass it straight to our opponent.

Agree re Williams, if only from a managing his minutes point of view.  He was the ones finding pockets off of the CBs today and then getting it wide / forward.

A wasted game from my point of view.

We were as wasteful with the ball today as we were careful with it last week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

Overall, our effing stupid passing out from the back was own downfall.  …Generally we weren’t bad, we weren’t great either.  But we have to learn not to conced chances in batches and allow sides off the hook.

This is an interesting summary, and I agree with you on some points, but others I have to disagree.  IMO there was never a period in the first half when we controlled the game, or was on top.  It was just a period of average play from both sides that cancelled each other out. I also felt that Cornick never caused any problems for Birmingham. He ran around and got into some good positions but never did anything meaningful with the possession. As for “ Generally we weren’t bad”, well, if that wasn’t a bad performance god help us if we do have one (zero shots on target and of the others not one forced Ruddy to make a decent save) 

• Like 5

I said a few similar things on the Match day thread @Davefevs , the passing all game was suicidal and the main culprit was Vyner, quite a way off where he had been most of this season so far.

Agree with most of what you say of the players , but I thought Pring was quite ineffective and there is nothing working with him and Mehmeti . I thought Tanner for the most part was steady after the first 10.

I didn't even notice Dickie's first booking and thought the 2nd was harsh.

For all the possession we did well with , the ridiculous passing really colours my thoughts on the game. Bell was infuriating trying to cut back onto his right when other games previously he was happy to knock it in with his left. 

Brum were a little better than I had expected, but they didn't have to be great. We looked very short of striker options today, Weimann and Conway can't come back quickly enough. Could be a long couple of months. 

EDIT

Just seen the Wells miss, it's a shocker. At the time I assumed he was at full stretch and it was all he could do, it wasn't . We were done from that moment, it didn't feel like we would get another good chance.

Edited by 1960maaan

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, hence why the answer to the problem isn't signing one striker. When you have the information here, and the resulting shit/xG numbers, then you can see where the chain broke today.

That's still a link that needs fixing though, and that's the challenge. A new player could be part of that...but personally I'm not convinced.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

Tanner was also awful against Preston. Not good enough.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

This is the problem when you don’t sign players who aren’t good with the ball at their feet, you get into good positions and do sweet FA with it. Pearson has heavily re recruited pace and counter attacking football, unfortunately the only players who can pass a ball are defenders:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

2nd half:

Other points:

I think the timeline graph embedded allows that we should be creating chances, but criminally we created fewer than Birmingham!

Agree with your summary ?

Only, small disagreement around Williams, who I thought was perilously slow and clumsy, and did nowt spesh on the ball.

Also I seem to be the one person in the world that saw good things from Bell, so maybe too many beers today?!

As I've said elsewhere. Good hardworking display but poor in the final third...again!

Edited by mozo

Just now, Davefevs said:

What was he like last week against Millwall?  Judge him on all games, don’t pick and choose. ??‍♂️

Away from home isn’t the issue with him and the majority of the squad. NP said himself in press conference about the full backs. He offers nothing going forward.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Silvio Dantetotally get what you’re saying, and I agree, although there were times when we got into good position early, rather than just because Brum were set deep per design (I acknowledge that point, ta), and didn’t execute.

Those 3 Bell left foot cross opportunities (I was right in line) and he had daylight to cross.  At worst we get a corner off a deflected cross.  He showed why you just flash it across the 6-yard box with your left foot, and don’t think twice.

But you totally **** your own midfield if you keep selling passes short, don’t you.  They’re looking to get on the half-turn and roll away from their man, yet we pass it straight to our opponent.

Agree re Williams, if only from a managing his minutes point of view.  He was the ones finding pockets off of the CBs today and then getting it wide / forward.

A wasted game from my point of view.

We were as wasteful with the ball today as we were careful with it last week.

Yeah on Bell agree - he wanted to check back onto his right every time, and it allowed Bacuna to adjust- and every time win the ball. It was poor and shows a lack of football intelligence. One of the things I tell my team (and I acknowledge it’s different levels) is that you do your job, and sometimes assume that others are doing theirs. For a winger/wide forward that’s hitting the ball into that area - you assume your central strikers are making the run, and if they don’t then it’s on them. The issue is (over)thinking makes things slow down and gives the opposition time to adjust. 

With Sam generally I see someone with a lot of pace, but I’m in no way seeing him as a sure thing. Think back to Preston and the second half run and real tame shot. Decision making, which is what makes the difference, is a bit off to me.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, mozo said:

I think your timeliness graph allows that we should be creating chances, but criminally we created fewer than Birmingham!

Agree with your summary ?

Only, small disagreement around Williams, who I thought was perilously slow and clumsy, and did nowt spesh on the ball.

Also I seem to be the one person in the world that saw good things from Bell, so maybe too many beers today?!

As I've said elsewhere. Good hardworking display but poor in the final third...again!

Yep, I hope we rectify the conceding chances in batches.  It’s a bad habit.  Those 7 shores we conceded from 41 mins to h-t is a poor sign.  We did that at times last season too.

I didn’t think Vyner was as bad as everyone saying (which maybe gives me a clue!), thought he was trying to get some forward momentum, which admittedly didn’t always come off and also thought he made some decent interceptions/tackles. Today at least Tanner made it more difficult for him, his body shape/first touch seemed to be consistently to come back towards his own goal, rather than move the play forward. Roberts and Yeboah at least brightish sparks. There was a lot of space out there today and we definitely should have made more use of it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I didn’t think Vyner was as bad as everyone saying (which maybe gives me a clue!), thought he was trying to get some forward momentum, which admittedly didn’t always come off and also thought he made some decent interceptions/tackles. Today at least Tanner made it more difficult for him, his body shape/first touch seemed to be consistently to come back towards his own goal, rather than move the play forward. Roberts and Yeboah at least brightish sparks. There was a lot of space out there today and we definitely should have made more use of it. 

But if we are dependent on our central defenders as the only ones willing to play balls forward, then surely that points out the problem with our midfield. No Scott, no midfield attacking intent is the plain and simple truth right now. The only other player willing to play it forward when he came on was Naismith, and unfortunately it was one of his misplaced passes that set up their second goal on the break.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 1

I don’t know if “unforced errors” are tracked by optima like they are in tennis, but we must be top of any team this season after that game. Endless overhit passes and balls passing beneath City feet and going out for a throw on the Lansdown side of the pitch. 

Edited by luke_bristol
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

But if we are dependent on our central defenders as the only ones willing to play balls forward, then surely that points out the problem with our midfield. No Scott, no midfield attacking intent is the plain and simple truth right now. The only other player willing to play it forward when he came on was Naismith, and unfortunately it was one of his misplaced passes that set up their second goal on the break.

Agree, albeit don’t think the front four did a great job of creating options for passers most of the time. 

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Agree, albeit don’t think the front four did a great job of creating options for passers most of the time. 

Well that’s the other part of the same problem, and why we seem so useless and ponderous “going forward” as that usually involves a lot more of going sideways and backwards, than actually going forwards.

• Like 1