IGNORED

FBC Podcast: B'ham City [H] the verdict ...... next 12 days will shape our season

headhunter

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We were 14th last season & won 9, so not sure what you mean by 12th.

Anyway I’m not bothered if the wins come at home or away but think we have been set up as the sort of side that is a counter attacking one, so that probably works better away.

The loss of Semenyo’s pace & strength & Scott’s artistry is bound to make a difference though.

I heard somewhere it was 12th our home record last year.

Agree on the other two points.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@GrahamC After 30 years, you know I'm not going to be an Ian Gay who will take stats and try to make them fit an agenda. But if we are going to be a possession based team (basically because other teams are happy for us to have the ball, knowing there is zero creativity at the moment) then we have to learn to be more effective with it.

As a team one of our strengths is on the fast break. I think we were about 4th in the division for effective fast breaks last season. What we are missing is the Scott tempo that assisted our assisters. The pace is slow and tepid at present whilst still trying to do the same thing we did last season without the personnel to do it (some gone, some injured of course).

Second half of the season, teams cottoned onto us and we haven't adapted. The away losses at Swansea, Cardiff, Luton, Sheffield Utd (I hear you on the last two) were poor performances.

But let's not forget the Huddersfield, Reading games. Blackpool where before our only goal from outside the box last season, we weren't great. 

The last game of the season at QPR (that I went to) was a bit of a banker. QPR had given up, they stayed up, but just wanted the season to end.

Still supporting NP, but we are stuck in bit of a rut at the moment. Let's see where we are after 10 games of course. I hope we're able to get going again as a team, because at the moment we're treading water.

I’m not that sure we are trying to be a possession based side.

Also 4 games in is a very low sample size & having lost Scott & not replaced him (who knows if we even will?) & Conway out through injury we are understandably look a bit thin, especially without Weimann & McCrorie as well.

Some of those away games you quote are almost 6 months ago now when we had different players & so I’m not entirely sure of their relevance.

What is clear is that as per Shuffs thread, we are at a bit of a crossroads, we definitely need a couple of players to give the squad less a feel of an U21 one, though any talk of there being 5 arrivals in the next 10 days seems fanciful to me.

Last season we started off a very decent run by gritting out back to back 0-0s at Millwall & Coventry, with what we currently have available to us we might well have to look to do so again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not that sure we are trying to be a possession based side.

Also 4 games in is a very low sample size & having lost Scott & not replaced him (who knows if we even will?) & Conway out through injury we are understandably look a bit thin, especially without Weimann & McCrorie as well.

Some of those away games you quote are almost 6 months ago now when we had different players & so I’m not entirely sure of their relevance.

What is clear is that as per Shuffs thread, we are at a bit of a crossroads, we definitely need a couple of players to give the squad less a feel of an U21 one, though any talk of there being 5 arrivals in the next 10 days seems fanciful to me.

Last season we started off a very decent run by gritting out back to back 0-0s at Millwall & Coventry, with what we currently have available to us we might well have to look to do so again.

And hopefully Weimann back Friday too.  Naismith has had a couple of sub appearances too, so he’s back in the fold.  A shame Dickie is out suspended, but it’s only one game.