IGNORED

Another big away following on the cards

Mr Popodopolous

We should be giving a block or two to our fans.  It’s that simple.  But as has been proven time and time and time again, the owners of this club just don’t seem to care about improving the atmosphere and just want an easy time of it.  Nearly every away ground we go to has home and away fans in the stand we are given - even Millwall now - but for some reason our owners don’t deem it possible.

• Like 6

Millwall may have been a one off for them, bigger sample size needed IMO due to the unique circs surrounding the sad passing of their owner and it being the first (League) home game of their sesson.

I do agree however- 2k, 2.5k tops, segregation, then as much as possible to our fans in the Atyeo would be my ideal medium term benchmark. Cup rules on allocation may make it a bit difficult but League sure.

Would have to be looked at again if we ever go up due to PL away allocation requirements which are 3k or 10 pct of capacity whichever is less.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In the right circs it can spark a bigger atmosphere but you really need a big home end of Safe standing which encourages singing, chanting and a wider atmosphere but you're spot on.

Exactly. I think our club have done everything they can to block the things you mention . Ie. Sticking them in the corner which severely hampers the atmosphere.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Exactly. I think our club have done everything they can to block the things you mention . Ie. Sticking them in the corner which severely hampers the atmosphere.

I mean there are potentially external factors too (Safety Group) but maybe it suits both, I'm open minded.

Even then though as a short term mechanism for League games at least you can cut away allocation to 2k. EFL rules allow for it.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Millwall may have been a one off for them, bigger sample size needed IMO due to the unique circs surrounding the sad passing of their owner and it being the first (League) home game of their sesson.

I do agree however- 2k, 2.5k tops, segregation, then as much as possible to our fans in the Atyeo would be my ideal medium term benchmark. Cup rules on allocation may make it a bit difficult but League sure.

Would have to be looked at again if we ever go up due to PL away allocation requirements which are 3k or 10 pct of capacity whichever is less.

Off the top of my head I cannot think of any team that has the isolation we do now.  Even Rangers v Celtic - home and away - have fans in the same stand with only a block between them (admittedly with a high police presence).

We are now in the same stand at numerous away games of ours with ‘potential’ such as Cardiff, Swansea, Birmingham, Millwall (small sample size maybe but shows it’s now possible) - why do we not reciprocate?  

We need to do anything we can as a club to improve the atmosphere as it’s beyond dire now, and this would be such an easy fix. But no - we just choose to hand the advantage right back to the away team.

IMHO situations like this just feeds into the narrative that the owners have little idea about football and what it means.  It’s purely business now for them.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Got no problems with a big away following at AG, so long as the City fans also get behind the team - it makes for a great atmosphere. BUT last two home games have been like a library at AG. Soulless ground nowadays. 

A bigger area than the corner to Safe Standing fans would assist- am sure the demand would be there.

Incidentally, put the stuff about allocations in a Group chat and a friend had this to say about his trip to AG in early 2014 when the East End was still split between home and away. He was a Tranmere fan in the correct part it the away paet of the East End.

"I loved BC when I went. Felt like an old school ground. Great atmosphere"

Wonder if he would say that now. This wasn't a top of table clash or a local derby or anything, this was a game v Tranmere in the third tier.

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looked up City news. Most of Atyeo again.

Screenshot_20230821-105056_Chrome.thumb.jpg.686e6a7a7f50bce6e5d4629db95e1c66.jpg

3,414 to West Brom. :grr:

What a big advantage that promises to be. Well done- again. ??

The club are clueless. We need a big re set from the top down, turning into an embarrassment both on and off the field at the moment.

Begs the question where is our dweeb of a chairman gone hiding? Haven’t heard a peep out of him for months and months..

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

The club are clueless. We need a big re set from the top down, turning into an embarrassment both on and off the field at the moment.

Begs the question where is our dweeb of a chairman gone hiding? Haven’t heard a peep out of him for months and months..

The CEO seems to be a man of few words too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I'm not bothered about the away following. What our team needs to do is play well and shut them up !

I think many of us are subconsciously turning up and expecting to be bored. Carry on boring your home support senseless and not surprisingly, they'll be quiet.

Great post . Our home performances have largely been insipid since well before covid so it’s no wonder.

there’s been a few games where wev’e entertained but they’ve been rare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In the right circs it can spark a bigger atmosphere but you really need a big home end of Safe standing which encourages singing, chanting and a wider atmosphere but you're spot on.

As good as the safe standing we have is it’s in one of the worst possible places in the ground for creating an atmosphere. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Got no problems with a big away following at AG, so long as the City fans also get behind the team - it makes for a great atmosphere. BUT last two home games have been like a library at AG. Soulless ground nowadays. 

Agreed, as long as the allocation is reciprocated when we're away.

• Like 1

Not something I would comment on normally but it is an interesting topic as it is multilayered

AG capacity 26500, with 1000 for segregation in the Atyeo that becomes 25500 (what is the point of saying it is a 26500 capacity then? That is another story) 

You have to give 2000 to away fans. Will 1000 City fans go in the Atyeo? If not, then with the new rules on financial control the club has to increase revenues. It is essential. So if City does not need those 1000 seats, and the opposition does, it is income clubs should not be turning away today. It could mean the wages of another player over a season. 

Would it be better be for City to return home fans to the Atyeo and position away fans in the upper Dolman, or even upper Lansdown. The issue generally is that stadium design rarely has opposition fans' segregation factored in, which in itself is bizarre, but swathes of the black tarp are a testament to that. 

Returning home fans to the Atyeo would give City fans both areas behind the goal. The new South Stand is poor for support because the fans are in the corner, almost like an away game. They need to be behind a goal. Maybe the Atyeo could be the experiment for safe standing many crave and move the singing section back there. The club could lose matchday non ticket income as facilities are less developed, so it is a balance that needs evaluation. But the issues of away fans and the location of our home fans' singing section keep getting kicked down the road. There is no perfect solution, but a bullet needs biting it seems. 

Finally, why the clamour to have the Chairman or CEO talking? With very few exceptions, maybe MacAnthony (or Ashton) that does not happen at any clubs, bar once or twice a season. More important is a constant dialogue with supporter groups, fans, and customers (sorry but after being a fan, we are customers too) in all areas of the ground, as requirements are varied.  There are some very justified comments and feedback right now. The aforementioned fan locations, safe standing, atmosphere and, based on threads on here, kit quality/design, and the club badge. 

But for now, an extra 1000 away fans is needed for finances, until the City fan demand takes that away from them. Also, as correctly noted, a huge silent away following is one of the best experiences in football as a home fan. Better when they leave early. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've just picked myself up off the floor after a fit of hysterical laughter, it's the bit where you reference us being promoted to the PL, I'd put a large suitcase of cash that someone like Wrexham will get there before us, unless we get new owners?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I've just picked myself up off the floor after a fit of hysterical laughter, it's the bit where you reference us being promoted to the PL, I'd put a large suitcase of cash that someone like Wrexham will get there before us, unless we get new owners?

The clue was slightly in the term 'ever' ;)

However yes it wouldn't be likely any time soon but clearly policies woukd have to factor in all possibilities.

Who knows what football holds- we certainly aren't contenders atm though. Feels like a midtable type season as it stands.

24 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Not something I would comment on normally but it is an interesting topic as it is multilayered

AG capacity 26500, with 1000 for segregation in the Atyeo that becomes 25500 (what is the point of saying it is a 26500 capacity then? That is another story) 

You have to give 2000 to away fans. Will 1000 City fans go in the Atyeo? If not, then with the new rules on financial control the club has to increase revenues. It is essential. So if City does not need those 1000 seats, and the opposition does, it is income clubs should not be turning away today. It could mean the wages of another player over a season. 

Would it be better be for City to return home fans to the Atyeo and position away fans in the upper Dolman, or even upper Lansdown. The issue generally is that stadium design rarely has opposition fans' segregation factored in, which in itself is bizarre, but swathes of the black tarp are a testament to that. 

Returning home fans to the Atyeo would give City fans both areas behind the goal. The new South Stand is poor for support because the fans are in the corner, almost like an away game. They need to be behind a goal. Maybe the Atyeo could be the experiment for safe standing many crave and move the singing section back there. The club could lose matchday non ticket income as facilities are less developed, so it is a balance that needs evaluation. But the issues of away fans and the location of our home fans' singing section keep getting kicked down the road. There is no perfect solution, but a bullet needs biting it seems. 

Finally, why the clamour to have the Chairman or CEO talking? With very few exceptions, maybe MacAnthony (or Ashton) that does not happen at any clubs, bar once or twice a season. More important is a constant dialogue with supporter groups, fans, and customers (sorry but after being a fan, we are customers too) in all areas of the ground, as requirements are varied.  There are some very justified comments and feedback right now. The aforementioned fan locations, safe standing, atmosphere and, based on threads on here, kit quality/design, and the club badge. 

But for now, an extra 1000 away fans is needed for finances, until the City fan demand takes that away from them. Also, as correctly noted, a huge silent away following is one of the best experiences in football as a home fan. Better when they leave early. 

A good post but where we are getting 26.5k from? Was under the impression ground held 27k as a starting point and then work backwards from there.

Gould kept us in the loop quite well but people will have different views on this..it all feels a little rudderless on the exec side. A sense of drift.

Upper Lansdown would be nice but the kids area up there..directors Lower Lansdown hmm.

Fair point on the 1k from a financial perspective but to what extent does it give the opposition a major lift? Quite a good one IMO. Playing towards an end of your fairly noisy fans, across 3/4 of a stand, maybe slightly more. Mostly standing as a big group.

(Good luck getting them to sit).

Standing fans are on average I would suggest more likely to sing which in turn lifts their side and the two can feed off each other. If we got say 2 up first half hour, the equation would change drastically and their noise surely dissipates.