IGNORED

Who can we sacrifice to free up salary space?

Simon bristol

As we go in to the next game with only 1 senior keeper, and 1 fit first choice centre back, and according to nige no space in our salary budget to bring anymore in, is there anyone that we can realistically move out, even on loan, to bring 1 or 2 more in?

bearing in mind contract lengths plus what I presume to be a higher earner, williams and weimann would be 2 that presumably would clear up some space?

im not sure how many more seasons wells is likely to be sticking around either, but with conway out there are no alternatives… any others we can move on to free up space?

• Confused 1

I’m taking this is a hypothetical thread rather than “realistically gonna happen” thread?

Because neither of those two above are realistically gonna be “traded” in any way to create wage headroom.

If we are playing hypothetical, then we should aim to get rid of the highest earner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

As we go in to the next game with only 1 senior keeper, and 1 fit first choice centre back, and according to nige no space in our salary budget to bring anymore in, is there anyone that we can realistically move out, even on loan, to bring 1 or 2 more in?

bearing in mind contract lengths plus what I presume to be a higher earner, williams and weimann would be 2 that presumably would clear up some space?

im not sure how many more seasons wells is likely to be sticking around either, but with conway out there are no alternatives… any others we can move on to free up space?

Would go along with those you mentioned add king james aswell forget the leicester connection.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m taking this is a hypothetical thread rather than “realistically gonna happen” thread?

Because neither of those two above are realistically gonna be “traded” in any way to create wage headroom.

If we are playing hypothetical, then we should aim to get rid of the highest earner.

Who do you reckon is the highest earner nowadays dave?

Won’t happen, but would look to move on Joe Williams in an ideal world. I think he’ll be moved on next summer anyway, and is likely one of our highest wages. 

Which leads to questions about next summer. James, Williams and King are out of contract. King will retire, and i think we’ll probably try to extend James. Explains our interest in Thomason. We’ll have quite a job next season sorting the CM and CB shortage that we’ll now inevitably face. 

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think the answer isn't so much sacrificing a player, it's more increasing commercial revenue,

That would of happened under Gould but sadly he got a better offer,

This is where a CEO needs to earn their crust,

Don’t get me wrong I’d like to hear more from Phil Alexander, but playing a bit of Devil’s advocate for a second…

…the set-up has changed on the football side.

We have gone from:

• Gould (CEO) and Pearson (Manager) to
  • Alexander (CEO), Tinnion (Technical Director) and Pearson (Manager)

There is a different expectation on Alexander from a football side than Gould in terms of Comms.

It could be that Alexander is focussing more on the non-playing side of things, e.g. Commercial.  And to be fair we’ve no idea how he’s performing in that aspect, because we’ve not seen any accounts (and he would only be responsible for 4/5 months anyway).

That doesn’t excuse his quietness.  We maybe need to hear from both him and Tinnion from a more “strategic” point of view.

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Who do you reckon is the highest earner nowadays dave?

James or Williams.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

We aren't overburdened anywhere. I think we need all of this squad and 1 or two more. But this self-imposed salary cap could hurt us!

Yup, 'self-imposed' seemingly the key words. Nige always talks about there being no room in the budget, not FFP.

Maybe the budget could be increased without creating a FFP issue but don't really know. 

Would be interested in the views the FFP experts as to whether our budgets are now driven by FFP concerns or just a general tightening by Steve and Co for 'sustainability purposes'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Yup, 'self-imposed' seemingly the key words. Nige always talks about there being no room in the budget, not FFP.

Maybe the budget could be increased without creating a FFP issue but don't really know. 

Would be interested in the views the FFP experts as to whether our budgets are now driven by FFP concerns or just a general tightening by Steve and Co for 'sustainability purposes'.

There is no FFP issue.  Not under its current set of rules.  Nor under any likely new rules either.

This is a club decision.

• Like 3

I find it staggering that we have reached the wage limit with a squad of c24 players including 9 academy graduates. We are 3 league games in and already in crisis. God forbid Vyner goes before next Friday with no replacement. Make no mistake this is SL cutting the budget to the bone and seems hellbent on a further tightening of the purse strings. 

I really do fear for us tomorrow night…,

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is no FFP issue.  Not under its current set of rules.  Nor under any likely new rules either.

This is a club decision.

Thanks, that's very depressing. Seems that the Lansdown legacy will only be measured in commercial revenue and assets.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is a club decision.

Is it more about making the club a more attractive investment opportunity? Reducing the wage bill, will be reducing the losses.

Edited by asfred
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

Probably a real Donkey question but doesn't Scott's sale raise our FFP limit so we now have a lot more room to manoeuvre?

I think the money we got from Kelly and Webster has effected that,

We had all that money and pissed it up against the wall causing us to get very close to ffp failure and points deductions,

I think we've now become risk adverse, I think we should add a bit more to the budget personally 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, asfred said:

Is it more about making the club a more attractive investment opportunity? Reducing the wage bill, will be reducing the losses.

I don’t think so.  Any investor will know that trying to use a one-off player sale to make the books look attractive is easily seen through.

My gut feel is that SL is thinking that why would he keep topping us up each year for the benefit of who he might sell too.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Let's not forget that we might be offering hefty pay increases to a few players such as Conway, Vyner, Bell, Pring... 

So, once Williams and King are off the playing staff, where does that l3ave us with the budget??

I don’t think we are talking about hefty pay rises, partly because of where they might fit into the structure and also because I doubt they are all on crap money in the first place.

Conway contract 7/22

Vyner contract a good while back

Bell contract 7/22

Pring contract 1/22

The young players are likely to have wage increases built in triggered on things like appearances, e.g. £4k pw, rises to £5k pw after x first team apps.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that on one level but the two backups are so untried, so untested.

It could all go horribly wrong… but the one thing I do have faith in at the moment is the development of youth and a knack for bringing them in when they’re ready.