IGNORED

Arena

bs3

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think I saw they sell out the current, smaller, arena quite often. Not that I take much notice. 
I think they are doing reasonably well too. 

Thanks for the reply...it just crossed my mind as to if it was profitable compared to maybe other facilities that could be in that site. 

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

Thanks for the reply...it just crossed my mind as to if it was profitable compared to maybe other facilities that could be in that site. 

I think they'd get good crowds but I suppose the bigger money maker is that it can host other events all year round. It will have a larger capacity than Beacon Hall for example. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

They have planned the number of seats more for the Venue side I believe, a mate was involved and I've forgotten the story now. I think the idea is to get those mid size gigs, less than the Bristol Arena ( that may never see the light of day thanks to Marv ) but I think would be the biggest in Bristol. I have the figure of 5k in my head but I'm not 100% on that. 
Arena is going to be 10,000 , Closton hall just over 2k , Motion 3k so it could be very good. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think they'd get good crowds but I suppose the bigger money maker is that it can host other events all year round. It will have a larger capacity than Beacon Hall for example. 

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

They have planned the number of seats more for the Venue side I believe, a mate was involved and I've forgotten the story now. I think the idea is to get those mid size gigs, less than the Bristol Arena ( that may never see the light of day thanks to Marv ) but I think would be the biggest in Bristol. I have the figure of 5k in my head but I'm not 100% on that. 
Arena is going to be 10,000 , Closton hall just over 2k , Motion 3k so it could be very good. 

Ahhhh right...I didn't realise it was also designed for gigs. 

Now that imo is a good thing...as long as the acoustics work...

Cue Dolman stand PA ?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Ahhhh right...I didn't realise it was also designed for gigs. 

Now that imo is a good thing...as long as the acoustics work...

Cue Dolman stand PA ?

I think the build costs of the arena is around 25-30 million so they are going to want to use it as much as possible to recoup the costs and then make a profit. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Wondering how this fits in with SL seeking new investment? My hunch is approval significantly strengthens the overall package on offer. 

Of course. Value of the land will have gone up £10s of millions overnight. 

Still find it very odd there's been no official announcement from the club or Ashton Gate Ltd. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the build costs of the arena is around 25-30 million so they are going to want to use it as much as possible to recoup the costs and then make a profit. 

This is why I asked...am I right in thinking the venue will create more money away from Basketball? 

I hope we can attract more bands playing gigs...as long as it sounds decent. 

Nothing worse than a venue that sounds awful. 

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Ashton gate will be 4,000 seats, probably 4500 for concerts with standing. Bristol arena (if it ever gets built) will be 19,000 and the 3rd largest in uk, 4th once Manchester complete yet another arena

Edited by RedRaw

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is why I asked...am I right in thinking the venue will create more money away from Basketball? 

Not just music and comedy. Tennis, boxing, table tennis, netball, gymnastics etc. It could potentially host all manner of sports and entertainment. It's very much multi-purpose. 

People also seem to forget the proposals include 125 market flats and a large hotel. It's going to be a massive money-maker. And great for South Bristol and the city too, tbf. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, RedRaw said:

Ashton gate will be 4,000 seats, probably 4500 for concerts. Bristol arena (if it ever gets built) will be 19,000 and the 3rd largest in uk, 4th once Manchester complete yet another arena

And the Beacon is around 2k capacity. So it fills a nice void. 

For example, I'm seeing Ricky Gervais at the Beacon in Dec. 2k capacity is way too small for him really. If the AG arena was ready then I'd imagine he'd have performed there instead. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not just music and comedy. Tennis, boxing, table tennis, gymnastics etc. It could potentially host all manner of sports and entertainment. It's very much multi-purpose. 

People also seem to forget the proposals include 125 market flats and a large hotel. It's going to be a massive money-maker. And great for South Bristol and the city too, tbf. 

Alas, we won’t be able to compete on the comedy club circuit…..massive 10,000 capacity venue already in ‘orfield 

Edited by RedRaw
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

For example, I'm seeing Ricky Gervais at the Beacon in Dec. 2k capacity is way too small for him really. If the AG arena was ready then I'd imagine he'd have performed there instead. 

Lucky man, I’ve tried like mad to get tickets but it’s all silly prices now

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well that's stumbled me...you watching Ricky Gervais??? That's like watching me on stage and you hitting dislike ???☺️?? joshing ?

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not just music and comedy. Tennis, boxing, table tennis, netball, gymnastics etc. It could potentially host all manner of sports and entertainment. It's very much multi-purpose. 

Too small for the darts?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I seem to remember I read the houses planned for the old / new stadium site will go towards funding the build , if the Council don't stop that too. 

If I'm anywhere near right with the size, it will be able to compete with Cardiff ( 5,000 ) for gigs. About time IMO, if we had anyone on the Council with a brain it would have been built years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I seem to remember I read the houses planned for the old / new stadium site will go towards funding the build , if the Council don't stop that too. 

If I'm anywhere near right with the size, it will be able to compete with Cardiff ( 5,000 ) for gigs. About time IMO, if we had anyone on the Council with a brain it would have been built years ago. 

I agree...we've lost way too much to Cardiff over the years. 

And it's such a ballache now to get in and out of within the time scales...oh hang on...I'll include Bristol in that. 

We really need to sort public transport out for late exits to suburban areas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't know how many fixtures the flyers have but I imagine the income from basketball would be small compared to the income they will generate from the other activities.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Ashton gate will be 4,000 seats, probably 4500 for concerts with standing. Bristol arena (if it ever gets built) will be 19,000 and the 3rd largest in uk, 4th once Manchester complete yet another arena

I thought the Bristol Arena was 10/12,000 , but TBH I've kind of lost interest as it's turned into a farce. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Too small for the darts?

Not into darts. But it'll be a similar capacity to the Cardiff IA, which I believe has hosted big darts events. 

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The houses have already been approved. 

In fairness BCC have never stopped City or SL doing anything to my knowledge. The TVG issue at Ashton Vale was ultimately a **** up by our consultants. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Darts

• Like 2