IGNORED

Match Report: Blood and Thunder as City frustrate Hull

Olé

i want to see a replay of the disallowed goal

It came off the defender for Wells to put in, but i presume it was flagged as wells was offside when the orginal pass/shot was taken?

also was it the ref who ordered the flag to go up, as the Lino took such a stupidly long time to do so. if so, how was the ref positioned better? he was behind the line of play.

seemed a shoddy call to me.

thought Naismiths distribution made a big difference. he still carries that air of  'russian roullette' defending  - will he make a clanger or not - but by comparison showed how indifferent Dickie's distribution is.

Knight was excellent.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Antman said:

but by comparison showed how indifferent Dickie's distribution is.

Dickie is a good distributor, but not as rangy as Naismith.

You get different angles opened up by Naismith, even the one off his right foot last night.  And also better angles to get the ball to Pring to advance forward.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Antman said:

i want to see a replay of the disallowed goal

It came off the defender for Wells to put in, but i presume it was flagged as wells was offside when the orginal pass/shot was taken?

also was it the ref who ordered the flag to go up, as the Lino took such a stupidly long time to do so. if so, how was the ref positioned better? he was behind the line of play.

seemed a shoddy call to me.

thought Naismiths distribution made a big difference. he still carries that air of  'russian roullette' defending  - will he make a clanger or not - but by comparison showed how indifferent Dickie's distribution is.

Knight was excellent.

The offside goal replay is on the match thread. Very tight but just offside. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olé said:

The clap of thunder suggested a downpour was coming around a cool but muggy MKM stadium. Friday night and a solid start to the season had created a buzz around Hull that has been rare on away trips here for years. On the walkway that bridges the town to the East side of the ground home fans chatted excitedly about what they would do and had convinced themselves City would roll over. A roar around the stadium from what looked a packed ground signalled intent from kick off.

The match started to form - City with lots of possession but laboured in creativity, Hull far far better moving the ball with pace and to feet, drawing fouls around the box. It was a game where defenders needed to be on it to block chances, but like last Saturday Zak Vyner looked rusty and was beaten by Liam Delap on City's left, sweeping the ball quick into the middle where Ozan Tufan arrived in the six yard box to slam home from close in. Now the home fans were really rocking.

City were always in it - but lacked the same quality of final ball, though Nahki Wells got an injury time equaliser at half time, turning in Jason Knight's deflected shot, only for it to be ruled out for a marginal offside which required an inordinate wait. The second half was end to end and City's methodical build up eventually resulted in Wells close range equaliser off Mark Sykes drilled ball in, more than deserved. Max O'Leary had to keep City in it, but they could have won it late on.

The threat of a downpour subsided at kick off, the thunder had stopped echoing round Humberside and no lightning had arrived. In it's place City started slowly although had a chance to open the scoring from man of the match Knight's header at the far post from a Matty James free kick, but straight at the keeper. But Hull were more direct and in 20 minutes went ahead. Vyner got caught out of position, Delap skipped past him - and Tufan was one of several in space to finish.

IMG_6453.thumb.jpeg.b8f6afea413722ecaea3d84a867e155b.jpeg

The hosts were comfortably on top and City had to work hard without the ball, without a forward threat until the midway point of the half when Sam Bell cut across to run at Hull before curling a long range shot into the far post where Wells combined to setup Sykes volley over. Now the home side were quickly throwing themselves in front of anything to protect their lead, Wells with a shot blocked and Joe Williams volleying over after Wells dangerous ball in was half bundled away.

City's burst of pressure culminated in a wild spell where George Tanner and an all action Knight (twice) forced Hull to block a series of attempts from around the box - although they should have been level on the stroke of halftime as Knight again roared into the box but this time the block spun his shot right to an unmarked Wells who with a Hull defender level tapped home, turning to look to the line and with no flag, wheeling away to celebrate, only for the flag to inexplicabley appear later. 

After half time City were out first and clearly in the mood to do even more to be level. The irrepressible Knight should have equalised with a glancing header at the near post off Kal Naismith's right wing corner, but by the hour mark it was all square as Knight again poured forward and fed Sykes who lasered a low ball across the face of goal to where a quick thinking Wells peeled off his marker at the far post to tap in - silencing a boisterous home crowd in front of the away support.

Now it was City on top and largely in control and Hull playing on the break. Wells saw an amazing overhead kick somehow clawed off the line from Naismith's corner - although at the other end Aaron Connolly somehow ran clean through to force a brilliant low block from O'Leary, who also did well to keep out Scott Twine's close range free kick after the hosts had not for the first time got upfield to throw themselves to ground cheaply as they had in a controversial penalty a year earlier.

IMG_6462.thumb.jpeg.b794a846815f0b60dbb3785dd6d60956.jpeg

A brief cameo from Andi Weimann as City looked to turn the screw saw an unfortunate reoccurrence of his heel injury - going back off after just 3 minutes - but it did not stop the visitors search for a winner, albeit sub Óscar Estupiñán had a couple of sighters at the other end. In injury time late introduction Harry Cornick jinked easily past his marker and into the box from the left and almost forced home with a curling effort at the near post that needed Hull to desperately clear.

Indeed the match finished with an almighty rearguard action from the Tigers as with a carbon copy of their finish at Millwall, City rallied in front of their away section from a series of Cornick long throws. Knight, Vyner and even new man Taylor Gardner-Hickman forced a series of last gasp blocks with well struck shots, the last miraculousy deflected over - it could have gone anywhere - as the match finished with a corner for resurgent City who had looked most likely to win it.

At full time and with the thunder and drizzle long since departed, City's 400 fans in the North East corner of the ground filtered out to join their counterparts onto the overhead walkway back into the town. Excited chatter had turned into disgruntled moaning - not unlike the average day at Ashton Gate - as expectant, previously in form hosts found a typically topsy turvy Championship encounter leave them feeling second best, starting well but ground down by relentless City. 

O'Leary 8

Tanner 7

Pring 6

Vyner 6

Naismith 6

Williams 7

James 7

Knight 9 

Bell 7

Sykes 7

Wells 8

Cornick 7

Weimann 5

Gardner-Hickman 6

Roberts 6

Mehmeti 6

As always, a great match report.

Also, as always, totally disagree with the player ratings :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eardun said:

The offside goal replay is on the match thread. Very tight but just offside. 

I think it was but incredibly tight, specially how the players were moving.
My problem is how long it took to give.

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_56_16.thumb.png.9f9ebe9ad4f4e7490a36f2e26c0d41b7.png

Above the Ref is already 10 yards behind play.

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_43_31.thumb.png.e1221d671a9b715c20c22254ec410ed8.png

Out of shot as Knight shoots

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_46_04.thumb.png.b0d4efe21846bda252358e2b046c481f.png

The Ref's view.

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_44_18.thumb.png.2ad8d085c10a4f2cb09aa0b7b19412c4.png

Wells scores

Screenshot2023-08-26at14_44_36.thumb.png.7f98ad815c3e8e7fdf05bd295e90867a.png

and jogs almost over to the Lino and puts his thumb up as the flag stays down .

Only then does he flag.
Now the only thing it could be is that he thought the defenders block might have been a deliberate pass, a stretch I know, but there is no way the Ref could judge the line call. All I can think is they spoke and between them they then decided the defender didn't play Nahki onside and it was from the shot.
Even with the Offside law as messy as it is, surely he has to flag first, then the Ref could say otherwise, his position doesn't change but the circumstances do. So he's offside, but if the defender plays the ball deliberately it's on and the Ref can over rule, to wait that long is a farce.

Screenshot2023-08-26at15_06_46.png.6ce6abff5f51b4c95fea7a74cee5ddb2.png

As I said tight, with defender and striker moving towards goal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The Ref's view.

Wells scores

Only then does he flag.
Now the only thing it could be is that he thought the defenders block might have been a deliberate pass, a stretch I know, but there is no way the Ref could judge the line call. All I can think is they spoke and between them they then decided the defender didn't play Nahki onside and it was from the shot.
Even with the Offside law as messy as it is, surely he has to flag first, then the Ref could say otherwise, his position doesn't change but the circumstances do. So he's offside, but if the defender plays the ball deliberately it's on and the Ref can over rule, to wait that long is a farce.

I always get a bit confused by this rule. It used to be anyway not so much that it is a deliberate pass, more a deliberate attempt to play the ball, even if it goes not where you intended. A straightforward ‘the ball hits you and it deflects’ does not count, so lots of room for interpretation there. Is throwing yourself in front a deliberate attempt to play the ball?

22 hours ago, Olé said:

The clap of thunder suggested a downpour was coming around a cool but muggy MKM stadium. Friday night and a solid start to the season had created a buzz around Hull that has been rare on away trips here for years. On the walkway that bridges the town to the East side of the ground home fans chatted excitedly about what they would do and had convinced themselves City would roll over. A roar around the stadium from what looked a packed ground signalled intent from kick off.

The match started to form - City with lots of possession but laboured in creativity, Hull far far better moving the ball with pace and to feet, drawing fouls around the box. It was a game where defenders needed to be on it to block chances, but like last Saturday Zak Vyner looked rusty and was beaten by Liam Delap on City's left, sweeping the ball quick into the middle where Ozan Tufan arrived in the six yard box to slam home from close in. Now the home fans were really rocking.

City were always in it - but lacked the same quality of final ball, though Nahki Wells got an injury time equaliser at half time, turning in Jason Knight's deflected shot, only for it to be ruled out for a marginal offside which required an inordinate wait. The second half was end to end and City's methodical build up eventually resulted in Wells close range equaliser off Mark Sykes drilled ball in, more than deserved. Max O'Leary had to keep City in it, but they could have won it late on.

The threat of a downpour subsided at kick off, the thunder had stopped echoing round Humberside and no lightning had arrived. In it's place City started slowly although had a chance to open the scoring from man of the match Knight's header at the far post from a Matty James free kick, but straight at the keeper. But Hull were more direct and in 20 minutes went ahead. Vyner got caught out of position, Delap skipped past him - and Tufan was one of several in space to finish.

The hosts were comfortably on top and City had to work hard without the ball, without a forward threat until the midway point of the half when Sam Bell cut across to run at Hull before curling a long range shot into the far post where Wells combined to setup Sykes volley over. Now the home side were quickly throwing themselves in front of anything to protect their lead, Wells with a shot blocked and Joe Williams volleying over after Wells dangerous ball in was half bundled away.

City's burst of pressure culminated in a wild spell where George Tanner and an all action Knight (twice) forced Hull to block a series of attempts from around the box - although they should have been level on the stroke of halftime as Knight again roared into the box but this time the block spun his shot right to an unmarked Wells who with a Hull defender level tapped home, turning to look to the line and with no flag, wheeling away to celebrate, only for the flag to inexplicabley appear later. 

After half time City were out first and clearly in the mood to do even more to be level. The irrepressible Knight should have equalised with a glancing header at the near post off Kal Naismith's right wing corner, but by the hour mark it was all square as Knight again poured forward and fed Sykes who lasered a low ball across the face of goal to where a quick thinking Wells peeled off his marker at the far post to tap in - silencing a boisterous home crowd in front of the away support.

Now it was City on top and largely in control and Hull playing on the break. Wells saw an amazing overhead kick somehow clawed off the line from Naismith's corner - although at the other end Aaron Connolly somehow ran clean through to force a brilliant low block from O'Leary, who also did well to keep out Scott Twine's close range free kick after the hosts had not for the first time got upfield to throw themselves to ground cheaply as they had in a controversial penalty a year earlier.

A brief cameo from Andi Weimann as City looked to turn the screw saw an unfortunate reoccurrence of his heel injury - going back off after just 3 minutes - but it did not stop the visitors search for a winner, albeit sub Óscar Estupiñán had a couple of sighters at the other end. In injury time late introduction Harry Cornick jinked easily past his marker and into the box from the left and almost forced home with a curling effort at the near post that needed Hull to desperately clear.

Indeed the match finished with an almighty rearguard action from the Tigers as with a carbon copy of their finish at Millwall, City rallied in front of their away section from a series of Cornick long throws. Knight, Vyner and even new man Taylor Gardner-Hickman forced a series of last gasp blocks with well struck shots, the last miraculousy deflected over - it could have gone anywhere - as the match finished with a corner for resurgent City who had looked most likely to win it.

At full time and with the thunder and drizzle long since departed, City's 400 fans in the North East corner of the ground filtered out to join their counterparts onto the overhead walkway back into the town. Excited chatter had turned into disgruntled moaning - not unlike the average day at Ashton Gate - as expectant, previously in form hosts found a typically topsy turvy Championship encounter leave them feeling second best, starting well but ground down by relentless City. 

O'Leary 8

Tanner 7

Pring 6

Vyner 6

Naismith 6

Williams 7

James 7

Knight 9 

Bell 7

Sykes 7

Wells 8

Cornick 7

Weimann 5

Gardner-Hickman 6

Roberts 6

Mehmeti 6

Think Pring and Naismith deserve at least a 7 on the rating front.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The Ref's view.

Wells scores

Only then does he flag.

Did anyone think that if Wells had just run away and celebrated the linesman wouldn't have flagged? That interaction with the lino might have had tipped it the other way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Did anyone think that if Wells had just run away and celebrated the linesman wouldn't have flagged? That interaction with the lino might have had tipped it the other way?

It looks like the the thumbs up from Wells to the Lino is an “was I ok”, then a delay, so he thinks he is….then Linington in the Lino’s ear…flag goes up.

Ultimately I think it was the right decision, Wells was off, but with the human eye, full speed, I’d rather these decisions were left to stand.  You can’t even freeze the video accurately enough, unless you’re using the same kit as in the WC, which I thought got it spot on.

• Like 1

We can't bottle this VR genie up now,  I don't like it personally but in effect ,same as old school dodgy lino  calls, sometimes it's to your benefit and sometimes it's not.  

Saying that,  judging someone offside by, say,  their elbow as the moment the ball is stuck is ludicrous. 

As is using the system subjectively,  that's the point of the referee on the pitch,  it's his opinion and to ask him to look at it again almost always results in a change of mind, must be demoralizing. 

Edited by Will Rollason
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It looks like the the thumbs up from Wells to the Lino is an “was I ok”, then a delay, so he thinks he is….then Linington in the Lino’s ear…flag goes up.

Ultimately I think it was the right decision, Wells was off, but with the human eye, full speed, I’d rather these decisions were left to stand.  You can’t even freeze the video accurately enough, unless you’re using the same kit as in the WC, which I thought got it spot on.

I hope the ref didn't make a decision because he had no idea. I just felt that waiting politely for confirmation like Wells did was possibly too nice, but could be wrong and maybe it had no influence at all. 

Agree with you. My view is that benefit of the doubt goes to the striker. If there's doubt the striker clearly hasn't intended to gain an unfair advantage and its just a case of margins. Obvs the game is going in the opposite direction and in the Prem you can still get away with a dive but not an offside...

• Like 2

On 26/08/2023 at 11:15, Olé said:

O'Leary 8

Tanner 7

Pring 6

Vyner 6

Naismith 6

Williams 7

James 7

Knight 9 

Bell 7

Sykes 7

Wells 8

Cornick 7

Weimann 5

Gardner-Hickman 6

Roberts 6

Mehmeti 6

Always enjoy your reports, thanks again.

Mind you, had to smile at Andi getting a rating...

• Like 1

Thanks @Olé, great report as ever.

I think this time it highlights particularly how fascinating this game was and the fact that it was far from clear cut who was on top and when. That came across in the matchday thread where there seemed to be a lot of disagreement about whether we were playing well or not.

There were spells where we had a lot of possession but looked far less threatening than Hull. Others were we started to break effectively and Hull seemed content to sit back and take the sting out of the game. Others where we pressed well as @sh1t_ref_again talks about, but at the same time Hull managed that well. Other periods were the game just ebbed and flowed between the two sides. Really good to watch.

Too far away to see anything of the disallowed goal: I think it came as a bit of a surprise to the City fans when Wells started to celebrate! My feeling was that the delay was simply about ref and lino consulting: no question of the ref making the offside call, just discussing touches, deflections etc. it happened once last season where we had a very late call. I don’t like Linighan but by his standards he had a decent game. 

On 26/08/2023 at 05:15, Olé said:

O'Leary 8

Tanner 7

Pring 6

Vyner 6

Naismith 6

Williams 7

James 7

Knight 9 

Bell 7

Sykes 7

Wells 8

Cornick 7

Weimann 5

Gardner-Hickman 6

Roberts 6

Mehmeti 6

Neat report. Thanks for what you do! For the record the ratings are Spot On! You can quote me!