IGNORED

International Rugby

WarksRobin

Didn't we have all this in 2007?  - even starting badly and then reached the final.

Of course in France.

Does seem to be down to the luck of the draw.

Swear Ireland play New Zealand in the last 8 all the time!

Not saying that will happen this time but we do seem to perk up a bit for the tournament.

2015 apart. 

10 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Didn't we have all this in 2007?  - even starting badly and then reached the final.

Of course in France.

Does seem to be down to the luck of the draw.

Swear Ireland play New Zealand in the last 8 all the time!

Not saying that will happen this time but we do seem to perk up a bit for the tournament.

2015 apart. 

1. There's no luck of the draw. This one seems mostly engineered. Seedings from 3 years ago have given England a very kind draw and worked against South Africa, Scotland and Ireland in particular.

2. In 2007 we had a side with world cup winners in it who grabbed hold of things. We look rudderless now.

We need to do more than perk up.

3. Having said all that, surely we can beat Japan, Chile and Samoa and thus get a QF vs Australia, Wales or Fiji?

We can be shite and get to the semis basically.

4. As soon as we play one of France, South Africa, Ireland, New Zealand or Scotland we're surely going to come second.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

1. There's no luck of the draw. This one seems mostly engineered. Seedings from 3 years ago have given England a very kind draw and worked against South Africa, Scotland and Ireland in particular.

2. In 2007 we had a side with world cup winners in it who grabbed hold of things. We look rudderless now.

We need to do more than perk up.

3. Having said all that, surely we can beat Japan, Chile and Samoa and thus get a QF vs Australia, Wales or Fiji?

We can be shite and get to the semis basically.

4. As soon as we play one of France, South Africa, Ireland, New Zealand or Scotland we're surely going to come second.

I think Fiji will be optimistic against us!

9 hours ago, Midred said:

I think Fiji will be optimistic against us!

They will but if we show some improvement we could beat them.    If I were betting on it, I would go with Argentina v Fiji and Australia v England in the quarters.  Us v the Aussies is 50/50.  

Fiji at 16/1 to win the group is a fantastic bet though.

My worry for England is that they don't have the players to play the system they want to play. People are talking about shifting the selection around but they're not seeing the bigger picture. I was listening to a rugby writer I follow and he was discussing the Ireland game, saying that by kicking mid-long and having no effective kick chase, they showed that they didn't understand why they'd lost to Ireland in the Six Nations and it's difficult to argue with that. That sort of thing should be extremely worrying.

That said, they're in a really weak pool so who knows. They can lose to Argentina and qualify easily. Japan look pretty rubbish at the moment. England will have Aussie, Wales or Fiji in the QF, all tough given how badly England are playing but all winnable.

As for Ireland, it's our toughest pool ever. I's back us to beat Scotland but they're playing really well and should've beaten us in the Six Nations. SA are a bit hard to predict. As impressed as I am with the variation they've added to their game, I worry about Libbok at ten. Really good player but he's had off days in big KO games before. I'd probably lean towards SA topping the group and us having to beat France to reach a SF. Tough ask.

• Like 1

• Admin
On 27/08/2023 at 12:33, Super said:

Do we play Argentina first?

image.png

On 27/08/2023 at 15:32, Loco Rojo said:

Does anyone know which team is staying at the Bristol Marriott Royal? Just walked past and there is a coach parked up which some people wearing training kit with All Blacks written on but it can't be the first team can it? A few autograph hunters waiting outside as well. 

The first team were based in Teddington before the South Africa game, no idea where they are this week before travelling to play France next weekend in the opening WC fixture

Very feasible they are at the HPC training this week

On 01/09/2023 at 16:01, phantom said:

image.png

The first team were based in Teddington before the South Africa game, no idea where they are this week before travelling to play France next weekend in the opening WC fixture

Very feasible they are at the HPC training this week

The All Blacks first team were training at Adidas Headquarters in Germany

On 29/08/2023 at 16:52, MichaelRobartes said:

My worry for England is that they don't have the players to play the system they want to play. People are talking about shifting the selection around but they're not seeing the bigger picture. I was listening to a rugby writer I follow and he was discussing the Ireland game, saying that by kicking mid-long and having no effective kick chase, they showed that they didn't understand why they'd lost to Ireland in the Six Nations and it's difficult to argue with that. That sort of thing should be extremely worrying.

That said, they're in a really weak pool so who knows. They can lose to Argentina and qualify easily. Japan look pretty rubbish at the moment. England will have Aussie, Wales or Fiji in the QF, all tough given how badly England are playing but all winnable.

As for Ireland, it's our toughest pool ever. I's back us to beat Scotland but they're playing really well and should've beaten us in the Six Nations. SA are a bit hard to predict. As impressed as I am with the variation they've added to their game, I worry about Libbok at ten. Really good player but he's had off days in big KO games before. I'd probably lean towards SA topping the group and us having to beat France to reach a SF. Tough ask.

Watching some of the Fox news in OZ today the Irish team should do very well.

With the amount of money spent on Rugby Union in England it is actually pretty pathetic how bad we have been. 2019 was a bit of a freak World Cup for us and this side hit a peak vs NZ in the semi finals.

We barely ever win a 6 Nations, and when we do it doesn't ever seem to be the Grand Slam. 

Maybe Rugby Union needs some kind of reform in England. Is the overall interest down? Is there coaching/financial issues? Are there less youngsters playing nowadays?

I'm not a massive Rugby follower but to me Rugby along with Football and Cricket is a part of English culture so it's sad to see how we consistently are falling behind the rest.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

If Argentina beat England, would it actually be a shock?

Not at all. I can't choose a winner in that one.

Similar with Wales v Fiji too, though Wales really should win that one, it wouldn't be a massive shock if we lost.

Tonight's match should be epic.

Edited by Kid in the Riot