IGNORED

Mehmeti

pl00peh91

Is this guy not very good, low on confidence, struggling to adapt to a new level or what?

He seems very much a confidence player struggling with his decision making at the moment. It’s a shame as he was transferred with much promise in January and was supposed to be a main target this summer, so he’s had an extra six months to get up to speed ready for this season but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

He’s still young so hopefully in time he will flourish, could use that sooner rather than later though as we are struggling for goals at the moment!

He seems a shadow of the player who joined the club & looks a terrible signing for a £1m when we all thought we’d got a bargain.  Clearly has ability and there’s a player in there but his decision making is terrible & not sure how you coach that. Seems to be playing with fear & confidence has completely drained.  Coupled with Cornick on the other side & we are toothless.

• Like 4

It was clear to see from the start that he has technical skills on the ball. What was quite quickly called into question, and will continue to be questioned, based on his performances so far, is his football intelligence, in which I personally can see very little development at the moment. It’s disappointing, but one hopes it is just a matter of time, perseverance and patience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Is this guy not very good, low on confidence, struggling to adapt to a new level or what?

He seems very much a confidence player struggling with his decision making at the moment. It’s a shame as he was transferred with much promise in January and was supposed to be a main target this summer, so he’s had an extra six months to get up to speed ready for this season but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

He’s still young so hopefully in time he will flourish, could use that sooner rather than later though as we are struggling for goals at the moment!

I do wonder if he's a confidence player in the mould of Massengo and Diedhiou who bith had spells of looking high quality and spells of looking rubbish.

15 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

He seems a shadow of the player who joined the club & looks a terrible signing for a £1m when we all thought we’d got a bargain.  Clearly has ability and there’s a player in there but his decision making is terrible & not sure how you coach that. Seems to be playing with fear & confidence has completely drained.  Coupled with Cornick on the other side & we are toothless.

The form of Mehmeti & Cornick is, at best, evidence of making acquisitions that are no better than what we already had

• Haha 1

Obviously completely fair to point out he’s still and young and adapting to the level, and yes there is clearly some talent there.. but my word, what an incredibly infuriating player.

You can talk about coaching all you like, but frankly he looks like he requires the absolute most basic level of coaching. He makes the sort of decisions you’d expect from lads in the academy, not the first team of a championship club.

It baffles me every time people express any sort of surprise when Bell starts ahead of him. While not the finished article himself, he offers us so much more down the left.

Was dreadful yesterday. Final ball was wrong everytime. We don’t have any pace on the wings when Mehmeti and Cornick are playing. 
A positive about mehmeti tho was he was looking to run at the defence most of the time he got the ball. Whereas Cornick received the ball and it was always a pass back to Tanner. 
Mental how we’re not reinvesting the money on some creative players 

15 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I can't help thinking that if we had quality coaches, a player like Mehmeti would improve. 

You can coach all you like, but it's down to a player to make the right decisions on the pitch.

The problem with players who rely on 'natural ability' is that they'll get to a level where those tricks aren't enough, and they need to use their head.

Until he is quicker thinking and more decisive with the ball, I think his role in a 3 will be to drag defenders and open up space for others  - provided he can at least give up the ball before he runs out of room and gets bundled off it. It's noticeable that we have far more end product when he cuts inside and lays it back into the channel in space for someone to cross for him, rather than him actually manage to create anything.

He's another player that is better away from home in transition when he can run at people out of position, he's got too little room and ability (for this level) at AG when defenders are set as opposed to back-tracking. He did not fare well in the comparison last night to Norwich's Polish winger (Płacheta?) who looked a handful, yet hasn't played in the league yet but was far more effective out wide - shows what we're up against.

One other thing on Mehmeti, for someone with his supposed baller skills, I do worry he looks pretty average taking on players at close range - maybe that is just form and confidence. When I think about players even in League One with clever feet, they are pretty consistent at being able to dribble past an opponent. Mehmeti uses his feet to good effect to recover possession in tight positions, but 1 on 1 he's not quick or decisive.

The only other thing to say is last night all four of our wide players were poor - Roberts probably most surprising for me. They all looked rusty. So Mehmeti doesn't deserve singling out. And the massive overreaction to the performance is a bit ridiculous too. Yes Mehmeti was a waste of time, but overall the team pressed as well as they have this season and put a real shift in, we were just consistently laboured out in wide areas.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

I agree he’s been disappointing but has he had a run in the team yet? I could find excuses for him. I’d struggle to for Cornick unfortunately.

Well, Cornick is being played out of position, so there's an excuse for him if you need one.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The form of Mehmeti & Cornick is, at best, evidence of making acquisitions that are no better than what we already had

That'd be a "lively" point to put to Nige on a Thursday or post match, might bring out the ostrich in him. Need to spark something somehow, are BBC Radio Local up to it?

Without trying to sound unbelievably negative, but from what I've seen of him, he'd be down in the 21s for me. He's only 22 and needs to learn what to do with the ball in the final third and work on his end product, maybe a bit of confidence down there and improving on them things with little more time on his hands will do him the world of good. Just my opinion. Has been nothing short of horrendous since being here as his final product is shocking. Not a terrible signing... yet.

39 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

It's almost as if whatever we're coaching him to do has completely squashed out the natural flair we saw last season. 

• Like 1

He wasn’t very good last night but I still think we should persist with him. Down our left last night we could at least get him crossing pr shooting after beating a man or two. His end product is atrocious and thats what we see. Like I said though, he does go past players. 

If you look at our right side last night on the other hand. There is nothing there to scare teams. That ball goes out to Cornick or Tanner and it just comes straight back to the centre half or keeper. Not a slight on them really. Tanner not an attacking player at all. Cornick more is a scrappy player who doesn’t seem able to beat a defender from a standstill. Seen him go past players on the move however. 

We are just light on the wide players. Not numbers but quality. Is going to be a big problem all season. Sykes really the only one I am confident in for being a consistent(ish)threat. Wells and Conway is pretty good down the middle. Cornick i liked centrally more too. 

59 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I can't help thinking that if we had quality coaches, a player like Mehmeti would improve. 

Hang on.. just last week you were (unconvincingly) banging on about giving it a few games before throwing Nige under the bus.. now look at you. 

When he came into the side , he was fresh new and a little unknown.  Skilful but seemed to always cut in onto his right foot which was quickly found out. Bell started ahead of him because he was happy to go outside the fullback IMO. They have been working on him using his left foot more and,  I imagine , his final ball. He is a work in progress that I hope sees improvement soon .
The problem could be he is having to think about what he is doing, just that will mean he takes an extra second or even over thinks things. As it all becomes 2nd nature I think he will become a bigger threat. 

• Like 1