IGNORED

Mehmeti

pl00peh91

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I think they are both being played out of position.

Cornick evolved his game (from a winger) at Luton to someone who flitted around a front man or even two front men, getting bits and pieces, running in behind, being a pest, etc.  Playing him wide right narrows the range of things he can do.  We saw briefly on Friday night v Hull what playing him central and giving him freedom to go where his instincts tell him helps him.

Mehmeti played most of his Wycombe matches off of a striker, then last season drifting left, more of an inside left, rather than a left winger, which is where he’s being played now.  Again he’s restricted (like HC) by being stuck on a touchline.  We’ve seen Mehmeti look more threatening when he’s more “inside” going up against CBs rather than full-backs.

FWIW Mehmeti’s tracking / blocking w/o the ball last night first half was pretty good too.

We need our wide forwards to stop playing as touchline huggers and start to play closer to Wells / striker when we have the ball.  That opens space for our our FBs too.

Largely agree, but playing the two wide forwards narrower opens space for the opposition FBs as well - unless they are well drilled in when to go narrow and when to go wide.

I also think our FBs need to be drilled to position themselves inside if the wide forwards are on the touchline, not seen any evidence of that yet.

Its all a bit static and predictable.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Largely agree, but playing the two wide forwards narrower opens space for the opposition FBs as well - unless they are well drilled in when to go narrow and when to go wide.

I also think our FBs need to be drilled to position themselves inside if the wide forwards are on the touchline, not seen any evidence of that yet.

It’s exactly what they did v Millwall w/o the ball.  They played a bit narrower to cover both Millwall’s side CBs and WBs.  When / if the ball went out to McNamara / Bryan, they got out quickly.

I actually saw Tanner invert a couple of times last night.  He didn’t get the ball, but that’s better.  Roberts didn’t until the second half.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s exactly what they did v Millwall w/o the ball.  They played a bit narrower to cover both Millwall’s side CBs and WBs.  When / if the ball went out to McNamara / Bryan, they got out quickly.

I actually saw Tanner invert a couple of times last night.  He didn’t get the ball, but that’s better.  Roberts didn’t until the second half.

I didn't see the game last night.

Encouraging if Tanner wasn't as risk averse as he has been and I agree (and forgot about) the difference in the Millwall game. It just needs the wide forwards and full backs to understand the roles better. Boring drills after drills on the training ground should help in that respect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I didn't see the game last night.

Encouraging if Tanner wasn't as risk averse as he has been and I agree (and forgot about) the difference in the Millwall game. It just needs the wide forwards and full backs to understand the roles better. Boring drills after drills on the training ground should help in that respect.

Partnerships and pairings…so important.  More important that formations per se.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Revelatory stuff.

We sell Semenyo for £10m, replace him & Chris Martin (based on your logic he’s better than them then?) for a combined £1.3m in Mehmeti & Cornick & you’re apparently surprised?

Nige said we wouldn't bring players in unless they were better, and fair play to him, we're not bringing anyone in having sold Scott cos we'll not be bringing anyone in that good. Although, maybe Barry Bannon?

4 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Apart from a few flashes of brilliance when he signed Mehmeti has looked a poor signing. After the first couple of appearances his form last season was IMHO poor. Many said wait until he has a pre-season with City. He’s had that now and so far he’s no better, possibly worse. 
The same regarding a pre season was said about Cornick, again he’s no better than last season. 
Pearson says he won’t make signings unless the players are better than we already have. Based on what I’ve seen so far I can’t see it with respect to Mehmeti or Cornick. Fingers crossed that they improve significantly as the season progresses. 

On Cornick, I’d like to see him down the middle. He’s not the one to hog the touchline and put crosses in

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Shuffle said:

He seems a shadow of the player who joined the club & looks a terrible signing for a £1m when we all thought we’d got a bargain.  Clearly has ability and there’s a player in there but his decision making is terrible & not sure how you coach that. Seems to be playing with fear & confidence has completely drained.  Coupled with Cornick on the other side & we are toothless.

Yes agree seems overly keen to impress needs a goal.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Last night Gary Owers was commending Mehmeti for his efforts, but cautioning it by saying he is also too predictable so quickly found out by the opposition.

Edited by E.G.Red

8 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Was dreadful yesterday. Final ball was wrong everytime. We don’t have any pace on the wings when Mehmeti and Cornick are playing. 
A positive about mehmeti tho was he was looking to run at the defence most of the time he got the ball. Whereas Cornick received the ball and it was always a pass back to Tanner. 
Mental how we’re not reinvesting the money on some creative players 

Cornick and mehmeti especially were signed and supposed to be creative attacking players (to be honest im not sure that cornick is creative but he cant score, isnt big and powerful so lets go with creative?) they will be on decent contracts too,, but arent doing it,,we cant just keep signing more and hope they might come good. The big transfer fee in ought to mean there are funds to cover new signings, but in the meantime these 2, and others, are taking up valuable wages and haven’t shown they are worth it. Williams is an obvious one who is taking up a wage, naismith must be on a lot but isnt even a guaranteed starter for us when hes fit and hasnt made much of an impact and is in his 30s now, and im not sure wells and weimann will be getting new contracts either and will be on good money,, though i dont think those 2 are where our problems are?!

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Cornick and mehmeti especially were signed and supposed to be creative attacking players (to be honest im not sure that cornick is creative but he cant score, isnt big and powerful so lets go with creative?) they will be on decent contracts too,, but arent doing it,,we cant just keep signing more and hope they might come good. The big transfer fee in ought to mean there are funds to cover new signings, but in the meantime these 2, and others, are taking up valuable wages and haven’t shown they are worth it. Williams is an obvious one who is taking up a wage, naismith must be on a lot but isnt even a guaranteed starter for us when hes fit and hasnt made much of an impact and is in his 30s now, and im not sure wells and weimann will be getting new contracts either and will be on good money,, though i dont think those 2 are where our problems are?!

I think Naismith will start 90%+ when he’s fit.  If he doesn’t I’d see that as a good sign that others are playing really well and keeping him out.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Naismith will start 90%+ when he’s fit.  If he doesn’t I’d see that as a good sign that others are playing really well and keeping him out.

We obviously signed him and started him as a centre back and have now accepted hes not really up to it there and we are obliged to try him in midfield. We know james is the preferred starter there, and so is knight, and gardener hickman wont be coming in to sit on the bench, even if hes currently covering right back, which presumably will be mccrories spot once hes fit… I don’t think anyone can really argue what a good signing naismith has been for us at this point, and his wages couldnt be better spent?

I think people are being a little harsh on Mehmeti here. He wasn't amazing last night, but he wasn't much worse than many others either.

I actually like Mehmeti. Clearly has great technical ability and unlike many 'attacking' players in our recent history, he's willing to take responsibility for trying to make something happen. Agree that it hasn't quite clicked yet, but that doesn't mean he's crap.

11 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

He's just adapting and yesterday was playing against some decent players at Norwich.

https://theathletic.com/4655444/2023/08/04/efl-ones-to-watch-bristol-city-anis-mehmeti/

Exactly, you don't get such positive reviews from places like The Athletic and Not The Top 20 without being a very promising player.

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Felt sorry for him yesterday. Literally everything he did was wrong.

Was sat at the bottom of the lansdown, and first half he looked like he had no idea what to do. Roamed marking player to player with roberts and Naismith havig to direct him. Got a few bolluckings from Nige too. Was surprised to see him make the second half

This is a bit harsh. He probably offered some of our more frustrating moments, but also offered a few of our better moments too (granted, the bar was pretty damn low). I suppose that's the nature of a player who plays the way Mehmeti does.

Despite what some may claim, he DOES often beat his man and has shown that he certainly CAN put good balls into the box.

10 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Obviously completely fair to point out he’s still and young and adapting to the level, and yes there is clearly some talent there.. but my word, what an incredibly infuriating player.

You can talk about coaching all you like, but frankly he looks like he requires the absolute most basic level of coaching. He makes the sort of decisions you’d expect from lads in the academy, not the first team of a championship club.

It baffles me every time people express any sort of surprise when Bell starts ahead of him. While not the finished article himself, he offers us so much more down the left.

Not so sure about that. Have to say that I think Bell gets a bit of an easy ride at times for being 'one of our own'. That's not to say he should be getting pelters, but I'm not convinced Bell has offered a huge amount more than Mehmeti (or even Cornick) at times.

We have a general issue with lack of quality out wide IMO.

• Flames 3